Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: ☼"Blackhold," A Masterwork Orc Fortress☼ - Under new management!  (Read 61245 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Thashumghoshakh, "Blackhold," A Masterwork Orc Story Fortress☼
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2014, 10:40:28 am »

Your upgrade options are either a Cave Bear Berserker Kit (a standard orc axe + battlepick, which requires raiding dorfs if I'm not mistaken,) or a great axe.

That's fascinating. Would a battlepick be better against armored foes than an edge weapon? Although, it's impact might be lessened if I'm not a miner. A great axe might be nice if I'm not going to become a woodcutter. Would the great axe be with my current axe or with my shield?

The kits act as weapons, governed by a primary skill. So a cave bear kit will work just fine for an axeorc because it's governed by the axe skill. And far as I know, a battlepick is what happens when a mining pick (already a frightening weapon by itself in the hands of a skilled miner,) is purpose built for mining organs and limbs instead of rock, so it'd essentially  result in an "axe' weapon with a very powerful piercing attack.

I never do duel wielding if I can help it either. The exception will be with these society kits. Even if I can issue a shield with them, I won't. Unless you want that cave bear kit you'll probably get a new axe eventually and keep your shield (the other axe likely being put on display in your own larger hovel once I get it built.)

Wow, it's almost as if he wants a musket for some reason...

Seriously, if Sen dies before he get him a gun, I swear he is going to haunt the hell out of those in charge of the hold.

At this point a firearm would be useless to him. His skills as a melee fighter are more valuable than his skill with a musket. I can set you up with a steel saber instead of the macuahuitl if you'd like though. I need to get a couple anyway (A spare and a replacement for the stolen ashland glass one.) I can also have a gun on display in your hovel too once I loot some :P

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2014, 10:46:55 am »

I am fully aware of that, but I love the idea of Sen wielding a musket with a melee weapon of some kind. Means when I request that Sen's title be changed to 'Kaptain' than it makes sense.

It also makes sence for Sen to be a Sea Wolf his he is a strong follower of the goddess of the Oceans, Rivers, Lakes and Salt.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2014, 12:34:39 pm »

The kits act as weapons, governed by a primary skill. So a cave bear kit will work just fine for an axeorc because it's governed by the axe skill. And far as I know, a battlepick is what happens when a mining pick (already a frightening weapon by itself in the hands of a skilled miner,) is purpose built for mining organs and limbs instead of rock, so it'd essentially  result in an "axe' weapon with a very powerful piercing attack.

I never do duel wielding if I can help it either. The exception will be with these society kits. Even if I can issue a shield with them, I won't. Unless you want that cave bear kit you'll probably get a new axe eventually and keep your shield (the other axe likely being put on display in your own larger hovel once I get it built.)

I must admit that I feel the piercing attack might be a bit better against heavily armored foes. It might give me some versatility. On the other hand that great axe seems like a powerhouse and might be better for my survivability to have a shield. But I'm already durable and strong even for an Uruk, which is already strong, tough, and quick to recuperate. I guess the kit is probably the thing that would be most fun to me so I may as well do that.

You know what? Get me the kit with the axe and battle pic where I ironically don't spend any time as a woodcutter or a miner. My Uruk is on the older side anyway. Might as well have a little fun and go full badass.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2014, 06:47:49 pm »

Hmm. Is Lugbok actually in the military, or is he still just a woodcutter? Also, am I friends with anyone apart from Gorlshk?
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2014, 04:20:16 am »

@ Shadow: Sure thing man, I'll do so when I can.

Hmm. Is Lugbok actually in the military, or is he still just a woodcutter? Also, am I friends with anyone apart from Gorlshk?

Lugbok are friends with damn near every claimed orc except Senshuken (grudge,) Khaziraad, and Thrak (who he doesn't know all that well.)

@ Senshuken: You're really poking your nose more into Corsair business. As it stands it wouldn't matter because there's no ammo to train with and there won't be for the foreseeable future; and by the time there is, it would simply be more trouble than it'd be worth to try and retrain him to be a decent shot. Er, decent by Uruk standards I'm assuming anyway.

Hell, only reason Beirus is getting his Dragon Society kit is because his uses the same ammo already being produced for the regular boworcs. And even then he has to wait for a damascene workshop to make the katana and more standards to build a meadhall to assemble the kit at (as would you for the Seawolf kit and Shadow for the Cave Bear kit.)

Of course everyone's free to grab up some extra orcs if they want. We got plenty and there's no-one else claiming them anytime soon by the looks of things.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2014, 06:10:34 am »

Fine, Sen won't take up a firearm again.

What sort of kit would you give him however? Because I want him to be an absolute badass orc before he dies. I want to be able to honestly say that the name 'Senshuken' is the kind of name feared throughout the parts of the world unfriendly to orc kind, even years after his death.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2014, 06:50:11 am »

Fine, Sen won't take up a firearm again.

What sort of kit would you give him however? Because I want him to be an absolute badass orc before he dies. I want to be able to honestly say that the name 'Senshuken' is the kind of name feared throughout the parts of the world unfriendly to orc kind, even years after his death.

Most likely the Jaguar Kit(assembled from a macuahuitl and claws, giving the Macuahuitl a much needed peirce attack essentially,) or the Blademaster Kit (comprised of a daikatana and regular katana, requiring I'm assuming the damascene shop to produce.) I wouldn't mind allowing a shield with the Jaguar kit (the claws could be feasibly bolted to the shield and extend past the rim,) but the Bladmaster kit simply can't be used with a shield period without huge attack penalties even for larger Uruks - Using anything requiring two hands causes massive attack penalties in general, which is part of why in vanilla DF dwarves are such successful fighters: many goblins and humans they fight try to use a two-hander with one hand which puts them at a massive disadvantage.

The former could be made as soon as a Warrior's Meadhall is built and if you wanna stick to the more tribal theme is the way to go, the latter may require picking on the drow for a codex but is perfect if you wanna go the Samurai route.

EDIT: We seem to be under attack by gnomes.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2014, 08:34:12 am »

Honestly, I would rather be the first of an order of Orcish Blademasters. Let's face it, Sen is old; He isn't going to use a shield like a 50 year old whelp.

Gnomes huh? Maybe next siege something our own size will get off their asses long enough to fight us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2014, 11:16:45 am »

Honestly, I would rather be the first of an order of Orcish Blademasters. Let's face it, Sen is old; He isn't going to use a shield like a 50 year old whelp.

Gnomes huh? Maybe next siege something our own size will get off their asses long enough to fight us.

Blademaster it is.

As to the gnomes, the fight was downright pathetic. Thier wrenches and other tools bounced right off the lamellar armor because of how small they are compared to our predominantly Uruk militia. I salute them on thier bravery though.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2014, 11:47:47 am »

Fair is fair, it takes a crap ton of balls to run at something twice your size while armed with only a wench to fight with... even more so when you see the first guy land a hit only to have the weapon bounce off like it was nothing.

While their scalps and skins might not cover much, the bravery of their souls has lifted them to be worthy offerings to the gods.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2014, 01:57:35 pm »

Four times the size  :D

Did they bring some of those mechanical warbeasts at least, or was it such a small group they didn't have pets yet?

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2014, 02:24:41 pm »

Thrak's Deer Diareah Dear Journal

Tuk a knock on da noggin recently and da doktah say it may ave upped my smarts or sum'ntin like dat. Nevah mind not dat big a deal, wot iz iz dat da boyz an me finally got ta giv sum mudbeards a might right trouncing. Buncha mudbeards tought dey culd try ta ambush uz orcs dey did. We cleaved 'em, broke 'em, an beat 'em bloody and doez we didn't leave az bloody piles went runnin like chikenz for da hillz. I managed to chop up (here is II marked by two bloody finger streaks) of tha midjuts befoar da fight ended so iz been gud fur me recent. Also I takun da liberty of renaming ya to a journal cuz da otha boys laughed when I sayz I ad a dirrhea dun no why I kno uf at least II utha membaz of da clan dat ave um. Until next time I've gatta prezent fur ya journal I've stcuk it to da page.

*Stuck to the page appears to be hair and flesh of some sort along with a tooth most likely belonging to the dwarfs that attacked the Orc-hold*

(OOC: BTW can you check to see if my wife and kid are part of the Orc-fortress with me? Just for curiosity sake.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2014, 02:39:38 pm »

Did they bring some of those mechanical warbeasts at least, or was it such a small group they didn't have pets yet?
Small early group. Macegnomes and a gnome with a screwdriver on a normal size bobcat.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2014, 03:34:11 pm »

Adult gnomes are size 15000.  Adult orcs are size 75000 (uruks are 90000, snaga/dreamwalker/druid/etc. are 60000, ologs are 125000).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2014, 09:28:24 pm »

Adult gnomes are size 15000.  Adult orcs are size 75000 (uruks are 90000, snaga/dreamwalker/druid/etc. are 60000, ologs are 125000).

Even better! Their souls must be huge!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15