Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 137391 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #690 on: July 03, 2016, 11:34:06 am »

Although isn't their empire big enough to offset that?

To throw some fantasy in the sci-fi (although it's probably been discussed already), is there any (tech-equivalent) answer to pike and shot? It's such a crappy end to the swords and horses era.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 03, 2016, 11:59:39 am »

Yeah, the imperium would just be far too big, and far too much of a a zombie for the federation to have a chance. Plus it only takes something like the Speranza to really throw a wrench into an invasion (Besides, the imperium has had worse.)

@Tack not really. You don't exactly have many counters to pike and shot around the era it was invented. Artillery isn't that viable yet and cavalry needs to needs to hit the formation from the flanks or the rear to be effective.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #692 on: July 03, 2016, 12:04:25 pm »

An answer as in a way to defeat? A larger, better trained populace. Like if you can field an equivalent number of longbowmen or so. The great strength (or at least, a large part of) pike and shot is its simplicity. Holding a long stick and doing formation drills isn't hard, pointing a crossbow and pulling the trigger isn't hard. Also, the equipment is decently simple. Crossbows maybe not, but pikes amount to a slightly worked pole and a spike. They're not the strongest, they're just really efficient for conscripting a big army.

I picked longbowmen as an example because they're generally probably more effective than crossbowmen, but they need a lot of training. Similarly, doppelsoldners/other greatsword-armed soldiers are pretty effective at dealing with pikes, but have a much higher cost of equipping and need more training.

Pike and shot got one-upped by firearms because they're also pretty simple to use, but better. Artillery are pretty ridiculously efficent against tight formations, which also wrecked them.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 03, 2016, 12:06:58 pm »

EDIT: Two replies beat me, both already much better.  Read them instead. ^_^

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 03, 2016, 12:20:28 pm »

So all they needed to do was make the yeoman act less about longbows and more about zweihanders?

A funny mental picture at the very least.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 03, 2016, 12:58:11 pm »

swords and horses era.
Swords were usually back-up weapons, like pistols in modern army, due to them being rather bad for breaking through armor. Real knights used halberds and pole-axes.

Just nitpicking.
._.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #696 on: July 03, 2016, 01:09:33 pm »

So all they needed to do was make the yeoman act less about longbows and more about zweihanders?

A funny mental picture at the very least.

And have a lot more of them, which is really the crusher. I think it says a lot about the crossbow that at one point the nobility lobbied for the Pope to ban them, they were that disgustingly effective even in a peasant's hands.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 03, 2016, 01:11:28 pm »

Good armor-piecring crossbows were kind of not cheap, so it's unlikely you would find them in peasant hands.
._.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #698 on: July 03, 2016, 01:21:40 pm »

Good armor-piecring crossbows were kind of not cheap, so it's unlikely you would find them in peasant hands.

Pretty much any crossbow at short range against mail isn't going to be a happy fun time. Much less so against plate, but plate was a lot less common for quite a while. I think somewhere around the 14th C it started picking up a lot more, but knights in mail was the standard for quite a while around the Crusades era.

But your point is valid. Not all crossbows were equal, I agree. They can just have a much higher effective draw than a conventional bow and still be useable, which counts for a lot.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 03, 2016, 01:27:42 pm »

Pike and shot is a very early 16th century innovation, though.  It postdates the arquebus.  While crossbows were used in combined arms with infantry, it's not really pike and shot specifically.  Where pike and shot specifically differs from previous methods of combined arms was its use of gunpowder arms, which had greater stopping power and reach. 

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #700 on: July 03, 2016, 03:17:07 pm »

To throw some fantasy in the sci-fi (although it's probably been discussed already), is there any (tech-equivalent) answer to pike and shot? It's such a crappy end to the swords and horses era.
Winged Hussars.
:*

Spoiler: ITT: Fuck pikemen. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:43:17 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 03, 2016, 04:32:03 pm »

Iirc the landsknight generally didn't wear much armor, so both swords and crossbows should've been fine. But pikes 2 stronk.
Would be interested to see if a Swiss pike square would beat a post-Marian cohort or Macedonian phalanx.
Like deadliest warrior but good.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 03, 2016, 06:01:38 pm »

Okay, for another Sci Fi faction, how about the Daleks from Doctor Who?  How would they do against any of the forces presented in Star Wars and Star Trek?
Daleks win.
This is a race ready and willing to DESTROY THE MULTIVERSE to win.
No one in Wars or Trek have that kind of dedication.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 04, 2016, 12:46:53 am »

I guess it'd have to be the big evil from that faction against the big evil from other factions. We know the Daleks would nail the Empire, but...

Daleks vs Borg
Daleks vs Replicators

Could be interesting.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 04, 2016, 04:51:06 am »

Daleks vs Borg
Daleks vs Replicators

Could be interesting.
Daleks win. That's the end of it.
Similarly to how Trek is tiers higher on the tech pole then Star Wars, the Daleks are at least as many tiers higher then Trek. Yes, even the Borg.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 82