Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What sort of ISG would you all be interested in playing?  (Read 1192 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What sort of ISG would you all be interested in playing?
« on: August 04, 2014, 02:20:16 pm »

I really kinda want to start one of these, because I have a two-month span of waiting for college and stressing about video game development and I'm really feelin' getting better at art and this would be a nice distraction so LET'S DO THIS.

Basically, what sort of thing would you want to play? I personally prefer (read: am enforcing) fantasy (a DnD game I'm playing in has problems with mixing genres, so I'm trying to get the aftertaste of that out of my brain) because I'm a HUGE NERD APPARENTLY, but beyond that I've got no real preferences. Setting (general stuff like climate or choosing a pre-established setting, it's up to you guys), genre (epic fantasy, intrigue, mad science sorcery (that's a genre, right?), slice-of-life, etc.), main character ("Are you a boy or a girl?" - Professor Oak), and so on.

Just throw ideas out and we'll see what sticks!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: What sort of ISG would you all be interested in playing?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:23:51 pm »

A world where magic can only be obtained by being possessed by elemental spirits, and that this practice is absurdly common. This gives Avatar: The last airbender like elemental control, but isn't limited to the four basic ones.

Genre: Epic fantasy, if you would. Some sort of far off 'world ending threat'.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 03:36:13 pm »

what derm said, but it takes place in caveman times, literally nothing exists that has been built by human hands other than very basic tools and cave drawings. and dinosaurs are sentient and are able to summon these powers and become possessed as well.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 03:42:09 pm »

How about we don't do that.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 03:43:02 pm »

but what if we did?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:45:44 pm »

I am saying that we should not.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 03:49:40 pm »

And I am vaguely insinuating that we should.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 03:51:55 pm »

How about a game where you only draw the main character's face and its expressions as it reacts to various bizarre events it encounters during its rather strange day (could be epic fantasy, of course, but lends itself to any genre)? Making the faces as realistic as you feel you can, obviously. Could be an interesting experiment that'll let you build up some skills.

Alternatively, an ISG where you're a LOTR-esque wizard, wandering the land and doing whatever the hell it is LOTR wizards do every day. It'll lend itself to being a short-lived game, and it could certainly be fun.

Or maybe you can do both at once!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 04:09:24 pm »

A world where magic can only be obtained by being possessed by elemental spirits, and that this practice is absurdly common. This gives Avatar: The last airbender like elemental control, but isn't limited to the four basic ones.

Genre: Epic fantasy, if you would. Some sort of far off 'world ending threat'.
Alternatively, an ISG where you're a LOTR-esque wizard, wandering the land and doing whatever the hell it is LOTR wizards do every day. It'll lend itself to being a short-lived game, and it could certainly be fun.

Or maybe you can do both at once!

What about one using a system of magic like what Derm suggested, but rare enough that playing someone who somehow has access to it could act as a LOTR-style wizard? Imagine someone who puts up a facade of semi-omniscience, but then has to scramble behind the scenes to maintain it (for example, 'a wizard arrives precisely when he means to' after desperately rushing to arrange something in one place before bolting to the destination to make it appear you're everywhere you need to be). In reality, you don't have that much control over things, but your real power is the appearance of having control of things. Then it becomes a matter of keeping as many plates spinning as possible while bluffing your way through the plot.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 04:14:53 pm »

I read about something like that in a DnD campaign once. There was this bard who was putting on a play, but a bunch of things happened and he was mistaken as a great paladin by everyone around him and was absorbed into a group of adventurers. Eventually he kept up the facade so well he actually became a paladin at the end.