Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Warden - "I have returned from beyond the grave to give the living haircuts."  (Read 23986 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warden: An Indie Survival Horror Game
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 06:41:53 pm »

So its like a medieval Hidden:Source?

Somewhat similar, yeah.

It's more like a game of hide and seek with the devil.

That's the new best description of the game.

In other news: I've been fixing the bugs that came up during the previous game, and I should have a new version uploaded tomorrow. All of the crippling bugs (that I'm aware of) are fixed, and an array of smaller, less serious ones are pretty much fixed as well.

After the new version is up, there'll be another game tomorrow! Same time (6:00 PST) as before, unless someone speaks up and says a different time works better for them. If you're planning on playing in it, make sure you've procured the IP address of the Bay12 Teamspeak server beforehand.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 12:44:13 am »

So its like a medieval Hidden:Source?

Somewhat similar, yeah.

It's more like a game of hide and seek with the devil.

That's the new best description of the game.

In other news: I've been fixing the bugs that came up during the previous game, and I should have a new version uploaded tomorrow. All of the crippling bugs (that I'm aware of) are fixed, and an array of smaller, less serious ones are pretty much fixed as well.

After the new version is up, there'll be another game tomorrow! Same time (6:00 PST) as before, unless someone speaks up and says a different time works better for them. If you're planning on playing in it, make sure you've procured the IP address of the Bay12 Teamspeak server beforehand.
I won't be in this game, but if anyone needs the TS IP just PM me and I'll give it to you. Also Araph next time you are on I'll give you moderator so you can give the Bay12 tag to people so they can use their mic.

edit: I'll just send you a priv key since I might not be on tomorrow. Also you have the IP, so feel free to distribute it to anyone you know is from Bay12/isn't going to spam us, just don't post it publicly.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:49:48 am by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 03:39:42 pm »

New version, this time with 100% more warden animations and 100% fewer spinning heads!

PC Version
Mac Version

edit: I'll just send you a priv key since I might not be on tomorrow. Also you have the IP, so feel free to distribute it to anyone you know is from Bay12/isn't going to spam us, just don't post it publicly.

Thanks! I'll do my best to keep the spambots out.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 08:31:04 pm »

There's a game going! Download it and jump into the Teamspeak server so we can get going. Sorry I'm half an hour behind schedule on this, it's been a weird day.

EDIT: And that's a wrap. On to bugfixing!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:33:35 pm by Araph »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 06:42:42 pm »

I think I isolated the bug which had been causing the game to repeatedly crash when the server actually began a round. It basically involved passing a nonexistent variable which ended up dividing by zero... sort of. I think. At any rate, I fixed that as well as rewriting how the game handles transitioning between the server menu and the game map, which cleared up another chunk of bugs that had been non-fatal, but probably weren't helping (games written in Unity seem to run better in-editor (that is, they don't actually crash, just throw up error messages) than in a compiled state, so those mishandled network signals might very well have been screwing things up). At any rate, it doesn't crash for me when I run it as a standalone executable now, which is definitely an improvement.

I'm adding in hallucinations, which were an idea that was very important to the game originally, fell out of sight because of more pressing concerns, and now is coming back. Basically, as you get hurt by the monster, you begin to see things and hear sounds that might be from the monster, but might just be nonsense. Scary nonsense, hopefully, but still nonsense. I've been recording and editing sounds, then I'm going to do a bit of visual stuff, then a new version of the game will go up. Expect it in a couple of days.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 07:47:59 pm »

New build:

PC Version
Mac Version

The crash-on-load bug should be fixed in this version. In addition, their are a few miscellaneous minor bugfixes, the undeveloped parts of the island are starting to get fleshed in (not that much in this update, I'm afraid), and there are now hallucinations when your sanity gets low. Right now it's just auditory and there aren't as many effects as I would like, but eventually it should get to the point where you can play an entire game and not have the same hallucination twice (but statistically, you're probably going to see some of them multiple times and some of them none).

So, yeah. New version. Let's see how this goes. I'm gonna say game tomorrow at 6:00 PST.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2014, 08:18:24 pm »

I'll be there, if I can remember.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 08:01:17 pm »

Game starting soon! Download the latest version and jump into the B12 Teamspeak server.

The game server's IP address (not Teamspeak) will be 23.253.160.178. Remember, you can copy and paste directly into in-game text fields, so you don't have to alt-tab out and back as you type it in.

The server will be up shortly.

EDIT: The game is over now. A significantly shorter list of bugs this time! Which is good. It's also the whole point of testing, so I'm going to amend that to VERY good. The crash-on-load bug has been fixed, and the only major problems were with monsters' attacks and one wonky network syncing thing.

Also, a website for the game is coming! I'm excited about this. Instead of actually writing a website myself, I'm buying a super fancy Wordpress theme and using that, which is also irrationally exciting for me because I'm not used to being able to throw money at a problem to make it go away.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:25:18 pm by Araph »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 09:08:34 pm »

Big changes! Sort of. Additions, really. A new version will be up tomorrow, and a Bay12 game will be at 6:00 PST tomorrow, unless someone requests a different time that works better for them.

Wards:
Wards are a new mechanic. After seeing people repeatedly hammer RMB to use their shield in any crisis, I decided the Wardens needed something more than just reflexive action. Thus, wards were born.

Wards can be placed by the Wardens and are triggered by proximity to the demon. There are three kinds of wards: shield, blind, and slow. Shield wards create a short-lived shield directly in the demon's path, blind wards cause a blind effect that whites out the monsters screen for several seconds, and slow wards cause the demon to temporarily move at a glacial pace. Each is useful in different situations, but only by working together can the Wardens take full advantage of this ability.

There are limitations, however! Wards take time to place, and can only charge up when the Warden is standing still. In addition, each player can only have one ward out at a time, so strategic usage is essential.

To encourage the usage of wards, shields have been nerfed. They now consume more mana (which regenerates slower) and no longer blind the monster.

Also, THERE'S A WEBSITE NOW!

I'm especially excited because this is the first time ever I've been able to throw money at a problem until it went away. I had assumed I would have to write a site myself, but then I decided to spent an exorbitant sum (for an eighteen year old with an empty bank account) on a fancy Wordpress theme that does everything necessary.

So, yeah. Check that out. If there's anything wrong with it (missing information, grammatical errors that grate on your very soul, suggestions to add, etc.), let me know.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warden (WE HAVE A WEBSITE NOW! Check it out!)
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 09:18:13 pm »

Why was I not informed this was a thing?!
PTW.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2014, 09:25:35 pm »

I want to try.  Ill see If i can get myself together.  Also I spend soo much time at the university this time of year so maybe.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2014, 12:49:14 pm »

I browsed the site, and it looks rather nice. The background button made me think of using screenshots as a desktop background.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2014, 12:54:12 pm »

Why was I not informed this was a thing?!

Looking back, it seems you were not informed because of a terrible, terrible oversight on my part. My bad!

I browsed the site, and it looks rather nice. The background button made me think of using screenshots as a desktop background.

Would something like 'History of the Game' be more appropriate, maybe?

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 12:55:48 pm »

Okay, I'm interested. Will there be a game tonight?
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 01:02:56 pm »

Okay, I'm interested. Will there be a game tonight?

Yep! 6:00 PM PST, unless someone requests otherwise.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15