Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: -  (Read 30289 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Lucid Dream Thread: Don't Trust Triplets Edition
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2014, 07:45:22 pm »

So I'm making my way through the thread from the OP down, on page 3, good thread so far. Figured I'd share a bit of my experiences with the subjects in this thread, meditation or hallucinations and whatnot.

I have had no real moments of lucid dreaming aside from occasional moments where I realize how absurd or nonsensical my dream is and then I wake up from it.

Spoiler: Stuff I have done (click to show/hide)
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2014, 02:59:37 am »

I think the idea is that we should have some sort of thread in which we make fake news, with the articles being related to the dreams we've had?
Okay, so a Dreamscape log/newspaper. However, in case you tend to get recurring ones, be sure to tell the worlds apart if they each have their own canon, and take into account the timelines of them too. I mean, I've had some worlds operate on a 48-hour system and such; or simply, really long days. Others operated on 8-hour cycles or less (4 hours of light, 4 hours of night).

Having already awoken from passing out after fatigue getting the best of me (actual sleep part over, now I want to dream once I sleep again); I'm just posting for the time being. Could LD afterwards from this (since I'm still zoning out a bit). Always a good gateway system is keeping your room as-is, like the starting/ending point. Examples include: Cloudbuilt, and the hospital room the main character is recovering in, and Tron Legacy, and how Flynn's club is the same when transitioning between worlds from his computer in his office to his office in The Grid (no change, except being digitized now, and upon leaving, his arcade/club is still the same, even externally; only truly out of place place on the Grid, based on the local scenery when the movie really begins). Speaking of which, carry devices that can digi-struct (Tron/Borderlands) when you need them, out of convenience. I mean, I always carry a few weapons, a method of air travel, and maybe a light cycle on me to get to places on the fly.

Spoiler: Reason for convenience (click to show/hide)

What gets trippy is when your room remains the same, until you no longer observe it, and it either adopts the surroundings as a new theme, or the room completely disappears around you as you aren't paying attention to it. I've had some non-euclidean stuff go on like that before. Blinking or closing your eyes for a moment makes a better shortcut.

EDIT:
Just remembered one world I visited; apparently I was a Heavy Machine Operator on an off-world mining rig on some ruddy barren old rock; though it wasn't Mars. Mars was already colonized at that time, and is a fully lush blue sphere like Earth. The crew I had reminded me of my pirate crew in another one where my drawings are part of the same universe, and apparently the crew was not all that different. Funny enough, my equipment that had the most usefulness/power and etc. just happened to share the same name as my flagship in the other dream. Shared information across universes, mayhaps? I can maybe share info across an 'out-of-place device'. I'll try to carry a psychic console with me to interface with for my logging and such. Anything with no mass to it is easy to carry. I'll just make sure it uses a shared server linked to my conscious mind.

So, instead of dreaming right now, I'm getting memories of other dreams recovered. Even minute details are being recalled a bit. The coffee over there could use some work. Didn't wake me up there nearly as well as the Blue Tokyo Eiffel Tower made of Crap (as in lost valuables and other artistic nonsense which also happened to turn into a marketplace beneath) provided, and didn't taste nearly as good. Now the French?/Japanese?/Frappinese? over in the other dream, they know how to brew.

EDIT EDIT:
Only other thing I haven't tried yet was like in What Dreams May Come, and having my entire environment be paint-based.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:43:37 am by Itnetlolor »

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2014, 08:51:27 am »

No luck actually controlling the dream, but a "sort-of" reality check occurred
In the dream I was helping a friend with his Home's Wifi Router, thing is, the check came in the for of his house in my dream was my Grandparents' place. After that I knew I was dreaming but was unable to influence it.
I'd say this is at least a type of awareness-based progress, as I remained aware until I woke up, which past times I have been able to become aware, change the 'channel' and then lose any/all awareness/and/or/control until I wake up and remember.
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2014, 10:32:28 am »

I remembered two of my dreams last night. That never happens. WHOOOOAAAAAAA. Dream journaling really does work!

Itnet, I believe you're way ahead of us but am reluctant to ask for tips since it's hard to learn from a natural lucid dreamer. What could they teach?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2014, 02:16:33 pm »

I had a lucid moment last night, but then I was too focused on not waking up and forgot about it.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2014, 11:19:18 pm »

Well, I've been busy working all day again, so I didn't have any time to post. Anyway, I apparently overshot a bit, and my lucid dreaming happened just as I was leaving for work, and this was after having breakfast and coffee. Fortunately, it only lasted until we really got started working at our destination; the trip was a bit of a trip in itself. Yep, I had a waking lucid dream for maybe an hour.

Basically, my mind rendered a bit of a HUD overlay as part of my understanding of what was ahead (and the course in mind; moreso, and more personalized to my style, while wearing my glasses when riding my moped; while the work van had something more consistent to it's design style, and not too stylish), and rendering somewhat Google Maps-ish, without looking at my phone for reference, and it was accurate when I checked. However, along the path, I spotted a cobra helicopter that was near the local airport. Naturally, my mind decided "What the hell, let's play GTA.", and my view switched to a 3rd-person perspective of flying the chopper, and just buzzing over the van we were riding; seeing from both perspectives simultaneously (Think of it like: one eye sees another perspective); from inside the van and the (supposedly armed) chopper (wreaking havoc on traffic and scenery). Fortunately, I know how to remain stoic/casual, despite my mind going off like that; it was a pretty fun waking lucid dream.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2014, 11:31:18 pm »

Could you explain more simply the difference between waking lucid dream and regular lucid dream? I tried to understand your other words about it, but the only reference point I have is meditative self-hypnosis which doesn't seem like the same thing.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2014, 11:35:32 pm »

I guess a good summary would be that my brain is still operating in a dream state, while I'm fully awake. Kinda like how imagining things used to be like as a kid, and you can pretty much see your thoughts in plain view.

I suppose learning how to sleep with my eyes open may also somewhat add to that. Kinda forgot I tend to do that.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:37:07 pm by Itnetlolor »

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2014, 11:37:47 pm »

I guess a good summary would be that my brain is still operating in a dream state, while I'm fully awake. Kinda like how imagining things used to be like as a kid, and you can pretty much see your thoughts in plain view.

I suppose learning how to sleep with my eyes open may also somewhat add to that. Kinda forgot I tend to do that.
Can you still see outside of the dream?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2014, 11:47:46 pm »

Damn, you must have had some imagination as a kid.

Gonna give it another shot tonight. FILD seems like my best shot at the moment, but I still try MILD as I go to sleep every night on the off chance that it works. I'm not going to start with just doing boring stuff to preserve the dream, I'm going to friggin' try screaming down an imaginary interstellar highway at like 10 imaginary miles per second in an imaginary deLorean with an imaginary rocket engine while shooting imaginary lightning outta my imaginary eyes. That oughta rival the awesome of my best regular dreams, even if it only lasts like ten seconds. :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2014, 11:51:15 pm »

Can you still see outside of the dream?
Didn't risk it today, since I was at work. But as far back as I can recall, to a degree. What I am aware of sorta serves as a bit of a limiter of sorts; since some mental resources are back online, and have to keep in check. But sometimes, it does make visualizing things a bit easier to comprehend, since you now have more reference material to work with. So I suppose, with the sacrifice of your mind making the environment, you can work on more minute things since you're limited to such scale, due to awareness. Kinda makes working on finer details and patterns and such a bit easier to deal with, and works pretty well with getting a sense of scale on things, since you have said references, like familiar locations. It's part of how I engineered some of my ships and weapons in my sketchbooks. Having a beach on low tide makes working on aircraft much easier when you have that much area to walk around.

Gonna give it another shot tonight. FILD seems like my best shot at the moment, but I still try MILD as I go to sleep every night on the off chance that it works. I'm not going to start with just doing boring stuff to preserve the dream, I'm going to friggin' try screaming down an imaginary interstellar highway at like 10 imaginary miles per second in an imaginary deLorean with an imaginary rocket engine while shooting imaginary lightning outta my imaginary eyes. That oughta rival the awesome of my best regular dreams, even if it only lasts like ten seconds. :P
You can always apply time dialation. Just a thought. Make those ten seconds count.

Regarding my imagination, I always liked inventing all kinds of things, being a regular MacGuyver at other times and such. I also had a knack for adventure, but didn't always like the common/popular thing; or at least, the standard model. I mean, I've been inspired by space travel and all kinds of futuristic stuff way ahead of my time. Having that in my head at such an early age is a good thing to have; it gave me a good place to start thinking and imagining. Keep that imagination alive, and continue growing up, and things tend to get interesting.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:02:20 am by Itnetlolor »

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2014, 11:51:31 pm »

Why don't you just kill people in a conventional manner? That should be less de-stabilisation-y, roight?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2014, 01:08:33 am »

Got a few seconds of spontaneous lucid dream last night before my brain shunted me back to normal dreaming. After going lucid, the first thing I tried was a reality check different from those posted here (at least, I don't think it was from here); essentially using just your tongue to attempt to block your breathing, similar to the 'pinch test' described here. A hands-free test, using your tongue as if you were swallowing, since that normally blocks the airway. Turns out that is not a good reality check, as, oddly enough, it acts exactly the same as in reality (and thus is useless as a test case). Which I suppose isn't that surprising, given that's fairly hardwired behavior, and so if anything could be done correctly, things like that would be it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2014, 03:30:28 am »

Got a few seconds of spontaneous lucid dream last night before my brain shunted me back to normal dreaming. After going lucid, the first thing I tried was a reality check different from those posted here (at least, I don't think it was from here); essentially using just your tongue to attempt to block your breathing, similar to the 'pinch test' described here. A hands-free test, using your tongue as if you were swallowing, since that normally blocks the airway. Turns out that is not a good reality check, as, oddly enough, it acts exactly the same as in reality (and thus is useless as a test case). Which I suppose isn't that surprising, given that's fairly hardwired behavior, and so if anything could be done correctly, things like that would be it.

Might be because it, in fact, made you swallow IRL. A common thread in some of my (non-lucid so far) dreams is things like feeling my arms being extraordinarily weak or choking, then waking up, which are likely caused by RL-feedback on the dream (I have a massive horizontal scar slightly below my ribs which makes it uncomfortable to sleep on my back).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2014, 08:55:38 am »

Might be because it, in fact, made you swallow IRL. A common thread in some of my (non-lucid so far) dreams is things like feeling my arms being extraordinarily weak or choking, then waking up, which are likely caused by RL-feedback on the dream (I have a massive horizontal scar slightly below my ribs which makes it uncomfortable to sleep on my back).
Scrdest, trying to disembowel yourself from the back is unhealthy!

I wasn't disembowelling myself. I had help. Because I just happened to have Nature try to recreate Alien IRL.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21