Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Smooth or engrave?  (Read 4804 times)

Zombiearcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smooth or engrave?
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:39:32 pm »

Howdy all,

I am curious as to what other people do in their fortress. As time passes and I have my living areas, dining rooms, etc all built I tend to engrave everything including the floors. It just seems more dwarfy. :)

RedSeven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smooth or engrave?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:41:54 pm »

I only tend to smooth and engrave dining rooms, meeting halls and noble's quarters to raise the room value. I don't think dwarfs get happy thoughts from seeing a legendary engraving, although engraving everything is a good way to raise your overall fort value.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 12:11:05 am »

I only tend to smooth and engrave dining rooms, meeting halls and noble's quarters to raise the room value. I don't think dwarfs get happy thoughts from seeing a legendary engraving, although engraving everything is a good way to raise your overall fort value.

Same here, though in my current fort my engraver has nothing better to do, so she's carving everything.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dwimenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:08:19 am »

If parts of the fortress are withing sand/soil layers I mine walls out and rebuild them with stone (marble or obsidian if available). The same goes for sand/soil floors and stairs.
All working areas (workshops, industry, stockpiles, refuse disposal) must be smoothed before can be used. Bedrooms and other living areas (dining rooms, hospitals, barracks, main corridors) are covered with engravings, usually done by Legendary engraver (mooded, or trained while smoothing entire fortress). I also smooth all magma channels.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:02:15 am »

Smooth all dat shit, gotta make sure you get masterpiece engravings.

But yeah, I normally smooth all the "main" parts of the fortress, and engrave the meeting area, or any other high traffic area. sometimes Ill also engrave just to push a nobles room up to a acceptable value.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 02:42:21 am »

I smooth as much as possible, leaving only exploratory mining tunnels and areas dwarves don't generally have access to. As for engravings, I make it a point to not engrave everything. When I do engrave a room I try to arrange the engravings in patterns. For common bedrooms I might only use a single engraving. For the dining hall I generally engrave an open square in the center and some of the walls. For the leader's office I tend to engrave some of the walls and the floors around the entrance and the desk/table.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 03:31:35 am »

I stopped using many engravings when someone told me that engravings kill FPS
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 04:03:03 am »

Mining tunnels rough, all regularly used areas just smoothed, though I tend to get carried away with placing statues. All surfaces engraved in the meeting hall, hospital, royal quarters and tombs.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 05:22:19 am »

I am smothing every corner of my fortress, even mines, because my soldiers must have some job to do. If i remember correctly, smoothing is increasing Agility. I am engraving only walls, tiles near walls. In 3 wide corridors middle tiles are only smothed. Rooms have 2 tiles walls, smothed, but only offices are engraved. Usualy by legendary engravers.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 05:43:05 am »

Back in 40d, when the economy was on, I went on an "engrave everything" rampage. This led to all rooms being out of the price range affordable by 95% of my dorfs, and lots of unhappy corridor sleepers. Since then I have only really focussed on communal areas and rooms belonging to important individuals, despite the economy system being gone and not likely to be back for a while.
This is a blank sig.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 06:26:00 am »

Back in 40d, engraving was very, very useful. It trained attributes like crazy, so engravers were pretty much the fastest, strongest civilians in the fort. I selected a few dwarves to be my designated engravers, smoothed everything, then engraved everything. I had a nice, white fort and several super-dwarves little over a year later.

Now that engraving doesn't train attributes, it's pretty much useless. I almost never smooth anything, and in the rare cases that I need to, I just turn on engraving for everyone so that the job gets done as quickly as possible.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 09:28:22 am »

I haven't had a fort running long enough lately (mostly just reiterating new forts with every new update) but before I would smooth everything. Engravings went in some places but because I end up having to build walls and such which can't be engraved but look like smoothed surfaces I tended to avoid them overall. Also the first few years I don't like migrants that much and engraving is one way to increase fortress wealth and attract more migrants so I don't even consider smoothing except for specific cases till I feel like getting a lot of people.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 10:15:31 am »

I start by smoothing the main areas to train my engraver. I always have specialized dwarves and a single engraver is enough.
I don't engrave anything until he's legendary, wich means he often has to smooth some working areas after the dining hall, bedrooms, offices and entrance.
When he's legendary he starts engraving. Main areas first.
If I'm still playing the fort when he's done, he proceeds on less frequented area and eventually mining tunnels (uncommon, old forts are boring).

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 10:43:01 am »

I try to smooth all the meeting areas and bedrooms before I actually set them up. eventually I'll smooth the hallways once I am mostly finished with bedrooms and layout design.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 10:50:34 am »

I like to smooth everything possible, at least in the common areas and living quarters. Workshops as well, because it looks better with smooth walls than rough stone.

I only engrave walls, since when I put furniture down it has a dark area around it that makes it stand out so much from the floor and I don't like how it looks. Walls are usually plenty anyways, especially with some platinum or silver statutes around.
Pages: [1] 2