Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Smooth or engrave?  (Read 4805 times)

gompasta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Smooth or engrave?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 11:41:32 am »

I smooth every highly traveled area/corridor and all meeting areas and noble rooms. If something is not on a typically traveled path, or considered important (Such as paths to workshops, and bedrooms) i don't tend to smooth them unless my detailers/masons are doing absolutely nothing (It is typically a second job, with another stonework type job).

When it comes to engravings, i like to be realistic about them. I don't cover rooms with engravings, but i spread them around the room in spots that you would expect to see an engraving, such as a large wall opposite tables, or an intentionally empty floor to place an engraving on. If a spot is out of sight, behind an object, or has too large/many engravings on it, i don't engrave there. I try to make each "Cluster" of engravings its own little story (Even though its not historically accurate)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 12:12:52 pm »

I stopped using many engravings when someone told me that engravings kill FPS
If they do it's not any more of an effect than having another item floating around your fortress for each one (which is very, very, small amount of lag compared to other things).

Personally I tend to mass enable stone smoothing for all my peasants, then selectively lock my actual engravers in rooms to engrave them all. The extra value is rather nice since I tend to stack several bedrooms all on top of each other in the same room to encourage more relationship building in my fortresses.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 02:41:17 pm »

I just smooth everything due to FPS reasons.

Quote from Quietust on that regard:

The second slowdown source also comes into play with engravings, made worse by the fact that the game needs to do a binary search for every map tile in the viewport to see if there's an engraving present in order to color it properly (whereas constructed tiles have their own distinct tile type which can be filtered out). Simply smoothing walls and floors shouldn't cause any slowdown, though.
Pages: 1 [2]