Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Squemish Doctors  (Read 4807 times)

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
Squemish Doctors
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:44:41 pm »

So i just had a werebeast then a siege then a werebeast in my fort during the siege. more than half the fort is dead there were about ten corpse sin the fort spewing miasma and there two guys in  bed that look like raw hamburger including a girl with two broken shoulders and this guy who lost his wife in the attatck doesn't care about anything anymore and has his son never leaving his tile. How he survived long enough to even get into the hospital is anyone's guess and he hasn't been treated for months.

http://s9.postimg.org/wsfg4mdxr/content.png

Anyone I set as a doctor keeps running away horrified when they attempt to diagnose or clean patients, likely because a corpse in the next bed over keeps generating miasma but maybe its because of the grievous injuries. There is absolutely no way to stop this and this behavior needs to be removed at least for the CMD. how is he supposed to save anyone if he runs away horrified from miasma and the like? doctors re going to see the worst of a fort with hacked up corpses and barley alive mangled survivors. they shouldn't be running away while their patient bleeds out or whatever.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:47:49 pm by Proudnerd »
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Squemish Doctors
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:52:47 pm »

Either train traumatized surgeons, or make sure all corpses are buried ASAP, so they won't spook your doctors.
It might actually be worth drafting your medics for a while, and let them do individual combat training sessions, to train up their discipline skill.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:55:30 pm »

Either train traumatized surgeons, or make sure all corpses are buried ASAP, so they won't spook your doctors.
It might actually be worth drafting your medics for a while, and let them do individual combat training sessions, to train up their discipline skill.

OOOOOOOOOOORR the CMD could act like an actual doctor in a disaster zone would. Its kidna hard when i ahd 20+ casualties and about 3 coffins. Its like a year later and I still haven't buried all the dead inside the fort itself.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:59:15 pm »

So you're saying that any random person after a disaster is just arbitrarily granted a Title should suddendly gain professionalism out of thin air?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 09:12:17 pm »

So you're saying that any random person after a disaster is just arbitrarily granted a Title should suddendly gain professionalism out of thin air?

Until medical training is implemented in a meaningful manner, yes i do believe it should be as a placeholder. If you think "tramuatizing" your surgeons so they do their jobs is a more realistic approach to get your medics to actually ignore corpses and getting on with saving who you can  I'm not sure what to say What untrained person irl is going to go "oh my there is a long dead corpse in the next bed! I shall run screaming from it over and over, instead of you know trying to stitch up this still alive but critically injured guy next to the corpse.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:15:28 pm by Proudnerd »

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 09:28:25 pm »

If you think "tramuatizing" your surgeons so they do their jobs is a more realistic approach to get your medics to actually ignore corpses and getting on with saving who you can
It's not "realistic" at all, but it sounds really "dwarfistic". Now if only medical labours raised discipline...

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:35:51 pm »

If you think "tramuatizing" your surgeons so they do their jobs is a more realistic approach to get your medics to actually ignore corpses and getting on with saving who you can
It's not "realistic" at all, but it sounds really "dwarfistic". Now if only medical labours raised discipline...
Medical labors raising discipline (or at least Dwarf Fortress discipline) is similar to how stuff works in real life - a person that's been a surgeon for 20 years is going to be less disgusted by a fresh corpse that died by HUNDREDS OF STABS with blood everywhere than a person whose greatest experience with injury was that time they cut their finger with paper.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:36:40 pm »

Medical Labors raising discipline sounds reasonable. Not all of them. But I would say surgeon or something.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:41:12 pm »

Medical Labors raising discipline sounds reasonable. Not all of them. But I would say surgeon or something.
According to the wiki, the five labors that make a dwarf a Doctor are Wound Dresser, Diagnostician, Surgeon, Bone Doctor, and Suturer.
In order of most discipline to the least, it would most likely go...
Surgeon, Bone Doctor, Suturer, Diagnostician, Wound Dresser.
Just my humble opinion.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »

Discipline from medical jobs sounds like a great suggestion. If Toady doesn't add it, how easy would it be to mod in? I ask because if it isn't, this is too critical of an idea to let pass by.
Everything's in the news today

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 10:18:49 pm »

Discipline from medical jobs sounds like a great suggestion. If Toady doesn't add it, how easy would it be to mod in? I ask because if it isn't, this is too critical of an idea to let pass by.

Agreed Also i think just being present at the aftermath of a battle. Seeing hacked apart corpses and blood flowing freely enough times makes those things trivial. I'm sure new soliders had their balls drop a few inches after seeing the aftermath of combat for the first time.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 11:06:19 pm »

I agree with the medical jobs teaching discipline suggestion. Being able to work around corpses shouldn't come with a just a title, but choosing your CMD to be the most level headed dwarf in the fort should be a smart thing to do.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 01:04:49 am »

doesnt running from dead bodies train the discipline skill?  or at least contribute to the doesnt care about anything anymore trait?

Doctors just require a better skillset now.  I like to draft my novice doctors into auxillary units for chasing fleeing enemies/killing outnumbered trogolodytes.  It gives them all a nice boost to discipline and insures I have enough dwarfpower to handle dead bodies and situations like yours.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 01:13:56 am »

doesnt running from dead bodies train the discipline skill?  or at least contribute to the doesnt care about anything anymore trait?

Doctors just require a better skillset now.  I like to draft my novice doctors into auxillary units for chasing fleeing enemies/killing outnumbered trogolodytes.  It gives them all a nice boost to discipline and insures I have enough dwarfpower to handle dead bodies and situations like yours.

Yeah, I was thinking i heard that seeing dead bodies itself is enough to raise discipline.
If you don't want to put your doctors in the military, you could theoretically just have one doctor, with little to no other labors enabled, so he'll have nothing to do but keep sprinting into the room and witnessing the corpse until his discipline maybe goes up enough.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 05:57:26 am »

I'm not sure what to say What untrained person irl is going to go "oh my there is a long dead corpse in the next bed! I shall run screaming from it over and over, instead of you know trying to stitch up this still alive but critically injured guy next to the corpse.

I don't know of a single real world doctor that would be up for performing surgery with a rotting human corpse decaying in their operating room. Not one.
Pages: [1] 2 3