Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not gathering outdoor plants  (Read 673 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves not gathering outdoor plants
« on: July 26, 2014, 05:15:26 am »

I started a game in 4.04, and I am not able to gather outdoor plants.
I have a plants-only stockpile, with plenty of space. I designated outdoor plants to be gathered, and the jobs were done but I am not able to find the plants in the stockpile or in the inventory. What can I do?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not gathering outdoor plants
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 06:22:29 am »

Are you sure they haven't been eaten/cooked/brewed/etc.?

senilking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 06:56:49 am »

How many plant did you designate to be picked, and what is the skill of your gatherer? A lot of the time, an unskilled gatherer will not get anything, if I'm not mistaken.

Try checking out your kitchen stocks. Hit Z and then go over to kitchen and see if there are any new plants that they picked and you just can't find. You also have to turn cooking and brewing off of every new thing or it will get used up.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:32:42 am »

How many plant did you designate to be picked, and what is the skill of your gatherer? A lot of the time, an unskilled gatherer will not get anything, if I'm not mistaken.
It's a bit different from that - unless it's changed since 0.34.11 (which I doubt is the case), all surface shrubs have an 80% chance to yield nothing at all, and for the remaining 20% they will always yield at least 1 item (with more items based on skill levels). By comparison, subterranean shrubs are guaranteed to always yield at least one item.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:48:08 pm »

Thank you, I didn't check on the shrubs page on DFWiki, and on the labour page it wasn't specified the 80% failure rate.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.