Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

what is your opinion on cursive writing (feel free to change your vote if somebody makes a convincing argument in this thread)

its horrible its never exusable
- 44 (41.9%)
it has its uses but sometimes print is better
- 56 (53.3%)
all writing should be cursive
- 5 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: cursive writing  (Read 19279 times)

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cursive writing
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2014, 04:50:36 pm »

When I was in primary school in England, I was taught the both print and joined-up writing (what I called cursive, the english version is slightly different so I use different names), and I used joined up as my default method of writing.

I then moved country, which involved going to an american school, entering into grade 1. My teacher at the time saw that I was't writing in print, and after determining that cursive wasn't meant to be covered in the american curriculum until grade 3 insisted that I cease using joined-up writing and use print instead. It wasn't until third grade that I was allowed to write in anything other than print.

Nowadays, I write in low-quality print.
The thing with your Murican teacher is weird. Why would they make you write print.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2014, 08:57:40 pm »

Because murrican bureaucracy.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2014, 09:03:30 pm »

Nah, educational systems everywhere seem to work on a need to know basis. Of course, they also confuse "don't need to know" with "isn't allowed to know".

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2014, 09:30:05 pm »

I've never been very keen on cursive.  I learned it as a child, certainly, but it's so rarely used that I never really bothered with it since leaving elementary school.  I honestly write in print just as quickly and far more legibly, insofar as my crab-handwriting can be considered "legible."  Besides, in any circumstance where I can expect more people than myself to be reading my work, using cursive in anything outside of signatures and function variables is just forcing the reader to do extra work to understand me, which is not only unfair to them, but inviting them to not bother with the attempt - my cursive is just that bad, and it in general is just that rare.  Though, just for fun, I can throw my own handwriting into the ring, and...

Everyone has their own spin on several letters (N and M especially). Actually look at the gibberish people use for signatures.
...just for you, add my signature to illustrate your example perfectly. ^_^ Don't mind the shadow; the camera got in the way of the light a bit.

~SNIP~

EDIT: Actually, even if it's completely illegible and maybe contains 3-4 understandable letters out of my entire name (and that if you're really lucky), that's probably not the best idea.  It's not just Bay12 members that can see it, after all.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:52:47 pm by Culise »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »

Bah, why not:

Because dropbox is dumb, that's why

EDIT: It's not showing up on my device, though I know nothing is wrong with my link. Curious, unless something's changed with Dropbox's public links.

EDITEDIT: Just made it a regular link because I don't feel like getting five megatons of Photobucket spam every week again.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:24:45 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2014, 08:45:04 pm »

I am thankfully glad that everyone here uses improper cursive.

I was worried when I said "NO ONE writes it correctly" that people would go "well see I do" but looking at the examples until now... thankfully not. >_<

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2014, 08:48:36 pm »

I was worried when I said "NO ONE writes it correctly" that people would go "well see I do" but looking at the examples until now... thankfully not. >_<
I see what you did there.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2014, 09:01:51 pm »

My school taught the Zane style of cursive. I hated the fact the capital t and f were almost the same since my brother had a t for his capital letter and me with an f. So I had to make up my own f so I dont get lumped in with him.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2014, 09:12:12 pm »

It would be, if there weren't hard rules... Especially with how everyone uses the U. Everyone keeps bringing it down, but you keep Us up.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:15:05 pm by Neonivek »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2014, 09:21:55 pm »

I have no idea what you're on about, every cursive u I've seen is the same to the ones I make.

Or well, it would be if I was capable of writing coherently. As is, my Us look like chopped Ws.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2014, 09:38:27 pm »

It would be, if there weren't hard rules... Especially with how everyone uses the U. Everyone keeps bringing it down, but you keep Us up.
Do share the rules!
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2014, 09:42:13 pm »

I said that rule. You keep Us up.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2014, 09:55:45 pm »

Ain't no rules for cursive but jointed letters, anyway.

Or, in other words, [citation needed]

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2014, 09:59:18 pm »

I said that rule. You keep Us up.
Can you post examples of what you mean? Also, where this rule originated from? And if everyone writes cursive without following it, how it was maintained as a rule?

It'd be like saying people who call ethanoic acid acetic acid aren't chemists, because they don't always use IUPAC nomenclature.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2014, 01:56:57 am »

By far the falucy I hate the most is saying that because there's a worse example of something that thing can't be a problem mostly because my mother does it all the ducking time
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10