Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 64

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - Dance 3 - TOWN WIN  (Read 87979 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - The First Dance Has Begun
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2014, 10:46:26 am »

TolyK:
TolyK:  How will the lack of breaks in conversation affect scumhunting?  Will the change be positive or negative?
I think it will be something of a landslide or cascade in terms of votes. Since this is almost like bandwagoning (except unintentional, for the most part), if scum plays on this then it's definitely negative.

How do you figure?

Flabort:
Toaster How many players do you estimate are unable to vote?

Depends.  If that's figured in to the hammer calculations, an equal number to that who can double vote (or one less- hammer at 7 is for 12 or 13 people/votes.)  If not, there's no telling.  A couple?  It's not a terrible flaw if you plan to buy/cleanse it off later.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2014, 11:10:06 am »

I can see that this is going to be a bit of an adventure with the mask thing and the tailored roles. I don't think it can be emphasised enough that we need to be careful how we go about these first few days, especially since we're clearly at a greater disadvantage than scum with not knowing who we are targeting. Taken even further, I don't even think RVS is going to be of much use to us when fact-finding abilities aren't even player-targeted. We're playing in the dark. We need a plan.

My first proposition is that vigilantes (if there are any) should sit on their ability until at least day 3. We would be doing no favours by playing Russian Roulette against ourselves, and even then you should be tentative about using it. It's best use is as a late-game ability to turn the tables, if it ever comes to that.

Secondly, if there are player reports at the end of the day, don't for a second take them at face-value. Even though they are best used against blatant players, there is nothing stopping a gossip from using their ability as a weapon against anybody.

The first and second day should be a fact-finding mission for anyone with relevant roles. Peek is probably the most important, but Patrol and Track are important too. I'd suggest that these players observe silently these two days, and once results for Day 3 come in, that's when we organise.

This is up for scrutiny, but I propose that Day 3 we have a de-masking ceremony. In order to keep it as clean and honest as possible, it could be done in stages.

-First, we claim mask colours voluntarily. No one will have any idea who's been peeked at prior to this point, so anyone lying will run the danger of a peek counterclaim.
-Next we will share peek results and cross-check with the voluntary claims. It should go without saying that scum might use this opportunity to offer up false peek claims, so care should be taken here.
-Lastly, any miscellaneous intel-ability claims should be shared. At this point there certainly will be some inconsistencies due to scum misdirection, but it's theoretically a strong vaulting point for the rest of the game.

Everyone: I'm up for criticism and suggestions. Will this plan flop? Are there ways it could improve?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2014, 11:15:21 am »

Varee
NQT: if someone change mask color will be be notify the next day? or is it a secret?
You have to have Self-Peek and target yourself to know for certain if your mask has been swapped.

I , not having played a game like this before, feel like scum kind of have an advantage in that their can cooperate more. for example 2 peopel can pretty much kill 3 on the first turn if they have a kill and a free mimic?
That wouldn't be allowed as collectively the scum team can only bring about one kill a day. If a scum mimics a killer on the same turn as another scum kills, the mimicry will fail.

TolyK
I think you vote names, but action masks.
Right?
Correct.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2014, 11:18:17 am »

@Revrie:Everyone: I'm up for criticism and suggestions. Will this plan flop? Are there ways it could improve?
At the beginning of the game, each player is allotted an alignment (either town or scum)
/\ that a thing in op so i dont think there a third party.
Secondly , I feel not doing anything for two day will just let scum kill half out team as they can easily take out 3 people per day even if they have 2 people killing town. The rest can play all kind of support misleading protecting role.
And even if we survive till thrid day i feel it is too late to do anyhing as scums should be up to aroun 4-5 kill a day at that point if they want to really do it and we dont do anything against it.

Scratch that one kill a day will be ok and the plan might work unless some town decide to be some vigilante and kill random people
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2014, 12:06:07 pm »

TolyK:
TolyK:  How will the lack of breaks in conversation affect scumhunting?  Will the change be positive or negative?
I think it will be something of a landslide or cascade in terms of votes. Since this is almost like bandwagoning (except unintentional, for the most part), if scum plays on this then it's definitely negative.

How do you figure?
Well, people vote off someone D1 (most likely town), then the most active in that mislynch are more likely to get under suspicion, etc.
I don't say that this is definitely what will happen, but with little pause between those days we have a volatile mix, and it's more likely we'll have something like this happen.
A possible antidote is consciously reevaluating the position constantly.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2014, 01:22:49 pm »

ToonyMan Can you wait for the mask list to be posted? Are you impatient to find out which colors there are?
Not really.

@Flabort:
Already planning your victory, scum??

Toony, haven't seen your play in a while, at least I don't recall. How would you describe your style?
Excellent.

Everyone in general : In the three primary tone (RGB), by gut feeling which one do you feel is the most scummy?
For me I would say red as typical video game use red as the color for enemy.
It's random unless I see a pattern.

@Toony: Whyever would I want to eat you Toony? :P
Just making sure we don't have another werebear.

Toony:  Do you think the continuous activity will cause players to get burned out?
Only as an excuse.

@Scripten:
What do you suppose is the best method to capture scum in this?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2014, 01:42:28 pm »

Everyone: I'm up for criticism and suggestions. Will this plan flop? Are there ways it could improve?
I like it. I can only see it flopping if people have falsified information from certain powers. *Checks list* Mask swap could be used just before the claim to confuse the plan; this can be countered by letting us know if your mask was swapped. Virtuous claims can prove certain blatants, making the players more trustworthy.
Yeah, there's not really any powers to falsify information other than gossip. No auto to confuse cops, only patsy confuses peeks (And shouldn't unless the mask gets swapped), and redirects I think tell you which mask you actually targeted.

@Flabort:
Already planning your victory, scum??
Actually, just flawfishing. Trying to figure out if the hammer is calculated based on total votes available, or just on players present. Trying to figure out what players can't vote in an effort to figure out who to trust, and who not to. I wish this information could be used to plan for victory, but I don't see a way that could be possible.
Now, if I had asked about "how many people took peek", that would be just scummy. I'd rather not let the scum know that, though.
And you should know a little about me by now, rolefishing is my town signature :P *cough* I guess I'm not that well known, though.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2014, 01:45:24 pm »

@Scripten:
What do you suppose is the best method to capture scum in this?

For me, definitely vanilla scumhunting. I'm not particularly experienced with power-heavy games. At best, I played a perfect game (Investigated scum on nights one and two, caught them the next day) as cop once, but other than that... I haven't got any significant history with powers.

TolyK: Why do you believe that actual active players are more scummy than those who active lurk? Or did I misinterpret what you said? (To be clear, I read what you said to be that you would be suspicious of the players who have the most evidence for a lynch, not those who press without reason.)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »

TolyK: Why do you believe that actual active players are more scummy than those who active lurk? Or did I misinterpret what you said? (To be clear, I read what you said to be that you would be suspicious of the players who have the most evidence for a lynch, not those who press without reason.)
No, I said that crowd mentality leads to those kinds of results. Not actual reads.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2014, 03:19:17 pm »

No, I said that crowd mentality leads to those kinds of results. Not actual reads.

Gotcha. Thank you.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2014, 03:32:18 pm »

Flabort:
Silthuri Does your masque color match your description of your masque? I think the GM typo'd in mine.
Only one color is mentioned when speaking about my mask, yes. If you think the mod typo'd, why aren't you asking him?

Varee:
Everyone in general : In the three primary tone (RGB), by gut feeling which one do you feel is the most scummy?
For me I would say red as typical video game use red as the color for enemy.
Red is usually associated with bad things, but I highly doubt the scum all have red or similar color masks.

Varee: In the BYOR you faked cluelessness to prove you were town. Do you think this will make any new genuine mistakes you make look scummy?

I cannot answer that question as it is my intention to do that. It is the others who decided to interpret my actions as scummy or not.
You didn't answer the question. I'm basically asking if you think your little lie in the BYOR will make it harder on you in this game because no one will accept your mistakes as town tells anymore, even if you're not doing it on purpose.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2014, 03:46:33 pm »

Flabort:
Silthuri Does your masque color match your description of your masque? I think the GM typo'd in mine.
Only one color is mentioned when speaking about my mask, yes. If you think the mod typo'd, why aren't you asking him?
I did, and he corrected it, but I think it's amusing how I've gotten two typos so far in my GM PMs :P For which the mod has apologized, and it's not a big deal, but it's pretty amusing.

Toonyman Please elaborate on why you are voting Scripten. Is it a RVS vote? I don't think you would FoS and do a RVS vote in the same post, so why do you suspect Scripten?

TolyK What kind of music do you dance to the best? What would you do if the tempo suddenly changed and you got changeling'd? What would you do if someone used PowerSteal on you?

Scripten As you say you're not used to there being a lot of powers, and you therefor have a different bias, which powers do you feel are most town or scum aligned?

Silthuri There are two "red" masks, Puce and Scarlet. If one of them had to be scum, and you had to guess between those two, which would you guess? If you had to guess between Lemon, Chrome, and Black, which would you guess?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2014, 04:28:35 pm »

Scripten As you say you're not used to there being a lot of powers, and you therefor have a different bias, which powers do you feel are most town or scum aligned?

For most town, I feel like Chat is very useful. It gives some of the power the mafia has to town players. That is, assuming that both players are town. Inflate seems a little more useful to town, since they could potentially block any night kills. Town is hard because of how blind we are when we use our powers.

As for scum, Gossip is the easiest choice. There's very few applications for a town player, but scum could use it very easily. Vote stealer and delayer come in after, since they interfere with the town's lynching ability, which is a huge blow. Granted, I've never really seen any roles for scum other than role cop and blocker, and I've only ever played vanilla scum, so I may be entirely off base here.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2014, 04:38:24 pm »

Scripten:
For most town, I feel like Chat is very useful. It gives some of the power the mafia has to town players.
Wait, you actually think Chat would be useful to a townie? I feel quite the opposite about it >.>
There aren't any guarantees that the person your sharing the chat with is who isn't what you thought they are, and I speak from experience. (I was once the lover of a third-party Jim).

A question: would you feel more comfortable speaking in a chat with someone of an uncomfirmed alignment or to the game at large?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2014, 04:41:12 pm »

PPE: I butchered a sentence. it should read 'There aren't any guarantees that the person you're sharing the chat with is who you thought they were.'
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 64