Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Just another married couple  (Read 5408 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just another married couple
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 05:36:01 pm »

... I believe that in medieval times usually the properties of the wife would be governed by the husband and in fact be in his possession most of the time, though some noblewomen did have property like cloisters and some such (if I recall that correctly, that is). Being a quite equal opportunity society (I had both Barons and Baronesses and their corresponding consorts, at least in 34.xx) I see no problem in the wife keeping here titles and them not automatically being transferred to the husband - or vice versa.

Note that the Euro-centric viewpoint above is strongly dominated by two factors; early Christian religio-cultural values (strongly descendant from Jewish ones), which are not going to exist in DF; and "Salic law", which was basically a feature of Frankish-derived (or conquered) cultures.  While something akin to Frankish culture isn't unreasonable as one option in DF, it's unlikely to end up having quite so dramatic an influence on the world in *every* world as it did in ours. 

The root problem appears to be that DF doesn't properly handle having nobility on-site that isn't part of the "local" feudal power hierarchy.  If the legal landed baron(ess) of Stabstein somehow ends up in the barony of Crushburg, they shouldn't be able to make production mandates on the Crushburg inhabitants in the general case, especially if the legal landed baron(ess) of Crushburg is on site... although demanding an appropriately nice room may be reasonable from an in-game perspective.

Of course she should be able to demand things from the peasants. As a noble, it is her birthright, no her DUTY to do so.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 05:41:26 pm »

But she's not their noble. She's baroness of a totally different barony. The mandates should be being issued to wherever the seat of her own authority is. Then delivered over with the caravans I suppose.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 06:14:34 pm »

Okay, so I looked at the legends and my Baroness inherited her title when goblins conquered her old fortress and killed her parents.
So it makes sense, that she didn't leave to her "own" fort, since it is occupied by goblins.
Then again, maybe df isn't coded so that your dwarves leave your fort...

In previous versions dwarves could never leave. Its possible this changed, but I wouldn't count on it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 06:59:00 pm »

But the second baron does not have any mandates.  One baron mandate, one mayor mandate.

I don't know what you guys are even talking about.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 07:13:50 pm »

But the second baron does not have any mandates.  One baron mandate, one mayor mandate.

I don't know what you guys are even talking about.

The Baron (male) is the local noble.
The Baroness (female) is the foreign noble.

It's the Baroness that has the mandate, even though her barony is elsewhere in the world.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 07:18:37 pm »

Yeah I didn't think this was so confusing...The only noble that should exist as one is the king/queen and their consort...if the population and sites support it there will be multiple of everything else...and now that migrants and such actually come from somewhere they just happened to end up together.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 12:55:31 am »

... I believe that in medieval times usually the properties of the wife would be governed by the husband and in fact be in his possession most of the time, though some noblewomen did have property like cloisters and some such (if I recall that correctly, that is). Being a quite equal opportunity society (I had both Barons and Baronesses and their corresponding consorts, at least in 34.xx) I see no problem in the wife keeping here titles and them not automatically being transferred to the husband - or vice versa.

Note that the Euro-centric viewpoint above is strongly dominated by two factors; early Christian religio-cultural values (strongly descendant from Jewish ones), which are not going to exist in DF; and "Salic law", which was basically a feature of Frankish-derived (or conquered) cultures.  While something akin to Frankish culture isn't unreasonable as one option in DF, it's unlikely to end up having quite so dramatic an influence on the world in *every* world as it did in ours. 

Yes, that is exactly what I meant with: "Being a quite equal opportunity society" The Dorfs are not Humans, and especially not historically correct humans. Please do forgive me, English is a second language to me...

Edit: and it is really strange that the non-local Baron(ness) is making the mandates here.... well, I guess the Nobility likes pushing the peasants around, so that is ok.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:57:57 am by gunpowdertea »
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 11:30:54 am »

Update:

So my Barony got promoted straight to a Duchy and of course my baroness-in-exile got promoted with her husband:

Oh joy... ::)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 12:18:38 pm »

Neat. I'd imagine this will be rare unless it specifically targets nobility consorts for promotion.

Is nobility inherited? If it is, you should limit them to one offspring (somehow?) and once that offspring is an adult see what happens when it holds two Duchies after an unfortunate accident.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 12:40:15 pm »

Yes nobility is inherited, that's how she got her Barony.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 12:42:29 pm »

Update:
So my Barony got promoted straight to a Duchy and of course my baroness-in-exile got promoted with her husband:

Interesting.  From a feudal standpoint, it's possible in some historical settings to have A be Baron X in his own right, B be Baroness Y in her own right, and then get married.  If one of them gets elevated to Duke or Duchess, then I think in most settings the other one would be referred to by the upgraded title, but that gets complicated.  It may also depend on whether one of the previous baronies got upgraded, or whether the duchy was a different chunk of land. 

It's not entirely clear whether this is a bug or not, or even which bug, without more info.  I suspect that DF doesn't (yet?) handle the concept of someone being a consort to one title, but a holder of a different title in their own right, properly; but it's not entirely clear what is "actually" supposed to be going on here. 

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 01:56:58 pm »

This is kind of amazing. I think that marriages between nobility in their own right can be kind of confusing(to humans, not just to df). I think if a baroness meets a baron and they have little baron-babies they are both baron/ess and baron/ess consorts, but the game(and polite people) will refer to them by their highest title. If a duke marries someone do they become duke consorts or duchesses, in dwarf fortress? If the latter then this still makes sense. The baroness is now a duchess. She's still a baroness, but her full title would be something like 'Duchess of Fortress, baroness of Goblinton'.

It's all very war of the roses/english succession. Too many titles, and not enough nobles.

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 05:42:54 pm »

I think it's one of two things, either the game is a bit confused on what to call her, or there is a real bug.

If the game is confused, it has decided to call her a Duchess, even though her nobility rank is Baroness. Normally in DF there is only one title holder for a nobility position, and their spouse is a consort. So the wife a Duke is a Duchess consort. Since my Baroness-in-exile is a noble in her own right, the game might have decided, that she is of a higher rank thank Duchess consort, but Baroness is such a low rank compared to a Duke, that it decided to call her a full Duchess.

OR there is a bug (which I think is more likely) in the promotion system (it dates way back before inheritance) and when my fort got promoted to a Dukedom, it promoted ALL of the nobles to Duke rank regardless of their real titles. And since I had 2 baron rank nobles present, they both got promoted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 05:58:32 pm »

not enough nobles.

The last thing we need is more nobles!
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 07:52:20 am »

The strange thing is that she is still baroness even though her site has been claimed and subjugated by someone else. The "true" baron should be the random gob who killed her father and usurped the title.
Pages: 1 [2] 3