Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Just another married couple  (Read 5404 times)

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just another married couple
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:21:59 am »

Your standard married couple:

Hmm, that's interesting:

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just another married couple
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 06:52:41 am »

So... assuming you didn't give them these nicknames... it's a bug with nicknaming storage?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 07:30:44 am »

I think Bates's concern is that there are two baron-level nobles who are married to each other, but neither are listed as "consort".

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:37:28 am »

I think Bates's concern is that there are two baron-level nobles who are married to each other, but neither are listed as "consort".

Correct. My fortress is a Barony, and for extra fun I have 2 barons mandating... :)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 07:42:25 am »

Be glad you don't have a worldgen fort, with multiple lords and ladies.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 08:54:14 am »

Huh. I know gay dwarves is a thing now but the titles thing is definitely a bug since only one should hold that title. Enjoy the constant requests, I guess.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:08:22 am »

Be glad you don't have a worldgen fort, with multiple lords and ladies.
Toady One "I handled two population errors that caused numbers to shoot into the millions in sites."

That list of nobles would be impressive.

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 09:24:24 am »

This is not actually a bug, I nominated him for a Barony, she inherited a her Barony.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 09:36:05 am »

I mean that it's probably a bug that it allows two barons to exist on the map. I don't think the option to promote should exist if a baron already exists through inheritance for example but I guess we can only speculate.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 09:51:14 am »

I mean that it's probably a bug that it allows two barons to exist on the map.

I see a baron and a baroness.  Where do you see two barons?  (Well, unless you have a married gay baron.)

Maybe this is an intentional change, with the two spouses holding equal power.  Only way to be sure is if Toady says so.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:54:21 am »

The entity raws for dwarves have no [NUMBER] tag together with [SITE] for barons, interestingly, which would restrict the number of barons to one per site. Might be, that multiple lords and ladies are a thing now.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:07:13 am »

Bah I misread it entirely, my bad. Regardless it's odd that the barony position is allowing two dwarves to hold it, rather than one being a consort. Samanato could be onto something though.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 10:26:24 am »

Well, since one of them is Baron (well the Baroness) by inheritance of a Barony that (probably?) does not overlap with the OPs fort (please try to find that out in legends mode) and the Baron is the "local" Baron I see no problem - other that the Baroness is not living in her own lands (if there is some requirement on that, depends on how the Dorfs treat that, from a legal point of view). I believe that in medieval times usually the properties of the wife would be governed by the husband and in fact be in his possession most of the time, though some noblewomen did have property like cloisters and some such (if I recall that correctly, that is). Being a quite equal opportunity society (I had both Barons and Baronesses and their corresponding consorts, at least in 34.xx) I see no problem in the wife keeping here titles and them not automatically being transferred to the husband - or vice versa.

(now that I think of it, just like His Royal Highness Charles is Prince of Wales and not King of England).
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 01:09:28 pm »

... I believe that in medieval times usually the properties of the wife would be governed by the husband and in fact be in his possession most of the time, though some noblewomen did have property like cloisters and some such (if I recall that correctly, that is). Being a quite equal opportunity society (I had both Barons and Baronesses and their corresponding consorts, at least in 34.xx) I see no problem in the wife keeping here titles and them not automatically being transferred to the husband - or vice versa.

Note that the Euro-centric viewpoint above is strongly dominated by two factors; early Christian religio-cultural values (strongly descendant from Jewish ones), which are not going to exist in DF; and "Salic law", which was basically a feature of Frankish-derived (or conquered) cultures.  While something akin to Frankish culture isn't unreasonable as one option in DF, it's unlikely to end up having quite so dramatic an influence on the world in *every* world as it did in ours. 

The root problem appears to be that DF doesn't properly handle having nobility on-site that isn't part of the "local" feudal power hierarchy.  If the legal landed baron(ess) of Stabstein somehow ends up in the barony of Crushburg, they shouldn't be able to make production mandates on the Crushburg inhabitants in the general case, especially if the legal landed baron(ess) of Crushburg is on site... although demanding an appropriately nice room may be reasonable from an in-game perspective. 

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 05:27:45 pm »

Okay, so I looked at the legends and my Baroness inherited her title when goblins conquered her old fortress and killed her parents.
So it makes sense, that she didn't leave to her "own" fort, since it is occupied by goblins.
Then again, maybe df isn't coded so that your dwarves leave your fort...
Pages: [1] 2 3