Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Bay12 Book of the Month Club (Take 2)  (Read 6002 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Bay12 Book of the Month Club (Take 2)
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2014, 02:42:23 pm »

Ack, the month flew by! Just a few more days left in the month, but of course you can keep going into September. They're both worth reading, I think.

And yes, people can certainly discuss the books. I suppose it will be my job to start the discussion, since the books were my choice. I'll do so tomorrow or over the weekend. But let's keep the discussion in spoilers until the start of September, out of respect for the people who are still (or not quite yet) reading.

I've messaged Yoink: time to suggest new books! Actually, it's a bit late, but that's my fault. I didn't notice how close to the end of August we are.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2014, 01:25:33 am »

Ooh, okay!
I'm still a bit under halfway through The Ear, The Eye and The Arm, but I should be able to finish it in time.
As for my suggestions, well, here goes. Two of my favourites. Once again, the first one contains a bit more 'questionable' stuff, whilst the second is a bit less violent/crude. Not as big a gap as the last time I suggested books, though, the first one isn't very explicit as far as I can remember.

and
Yep. The Wizards and The Warriors by Hugh Cook and Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2014, 02:38:05 am »

Thanks, Yoink! I've added them to the start of the thread. So, everyone, we have our assignments: time to track them down!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2014, 11:09:05 pm »

The Wizards and The Warriors might be a bit hard to track down, but Shades of Grey should be much easier.
Oh, and I just googled it and apparently the full title has been changed to Shades of Grey 1: The Road to High Saffron. I'm guessing this was to avoid being confused with *shudder* 50 Shades of Grey.   

Anyway, it looks like you can get a Kindle version from Amazon, so that should make things easier for some. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2014, 08:15:33 pm »

Aw man, I forgot about this.
I guess I'll read this month's book with the October books.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2014, 01:18:10 am »

GAH. How does this keep happening? I suppose the lack of activity in the thread makes it easy to lose track of.

It's October, so it's Draxis' turn to choose books. I'll send off a PM and update the first post. Please feel free to discuss the September books, those of you who finished them! I'll join in later, since I managed to get lost in part of the Dune series for... the whole month.  :o

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2014, 03:13:54 am »

I ordered the August books in August. They still haven't arrived yet. My local bookstore's suppliers are doing well, it seems. It's actually gone past the point where I can make jokes about the authors being handwriting copies for me.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2014, 03:43:38 am »

I ordered the August books in August. They still haven't arrived yet. My local bookstore's suppliers are doing well, it seems. It's actually gone past the point where I can make jokes about the authors being handwriting copies for me.

Jesus, that's terrible. There's always the possibility to read them digitally (even on a computer) if you're getting desperate. It's a difficult issue, really. It's great to support local bookstores (they certainly need it these days), but when the service is really that bad, it's hard to put up with, especially knowing you could probably get a used copy on Amazon for one penny and have it as quickly as your postal service can get it to you.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2014, 08:31:59 am »

No worries about forgetting to tell me, I've forgotten too, since partway through the August book.  Recommendations:

The Things they Carried, by Tim O'Brien.  It's a very well-done, somewhat inaccurate autobiography O'Brien's experience in the Vietnam War, but with frequent digressions into more meta but related topics which I won't really describe because of spoilers.  He manages to do this in a non-affected and meaningful way, and it would be worth reading as a good war story even without them, for people who are into that.  Unsurprisingly, this one is pretty violent, even somewhat disturbing in a sort of surreal way.  It's also a very short book, less than a finger thick, and I would recommend reading it twice - some of the things talked about in the later parts put the earlier ones in a new light.

One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.  A book which follows one family, and the Colombian town they helped to found, across an unspecified hundred-year period.  It's the canonical example of magical realism - having mystical and unexplained elements, but not treating them as anything special beyond the amazement of some characters who interact with them - and metaphorically describes the progression of postcolonial imperialism in Latin America.  This one's pretty long and dense, and while there are some squicky bits of various types nothing's particularly bad or explicit.  Hopefully everyone hasn't already read it, as it's pretty popular book; if so, I guess I can find another unless it's too late.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:02:53 am by Draxis »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2014, 08:57:10 am »

First post is updated! I'll start looking for the books. I think I may have read the first one back in college, but now I'm not sure. I certainly don't remember it, so I'll have to track down a copy.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2014, 10:05:39 am »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:04:39 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2014, 11:35:25 am »

Sure.  I haven't read it, so I'll do that one and then, depending how long that takes, reread one of the recs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2014, 09:41:26 pm »

Yeah... I was sorta AFK for most of the month, unfortunately. I didn't even have a chance to read my own recommendations- I packed one of them to read after I moved, but that bag (including some other books, some CDs, etc) weighed too much for me to take on my flight. >.> Whoops.

Added to that I'm still working on The Eye, The Ear and The Arm. I've almost finished it, though.
I'll try and grab the first book of Draxis' at some point, since I've read 100 Years before. It was interesting, that's for sure.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2014, 04:25:51 am »

Hi, everyone! I actually remembered this time!

I am behind on my reading: just finished my September book. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up, though in November I'll be trying to do NaNoWriMo, so who knows how much time I'll have...

I've PMed Pufferfish asking for the next book recommendations, but I haven't gotten a response yet. If he doesn't post/send anything by the weekend, Vector, would you be ready to suggest a couple of books? I know you do a LOT of reading. : )

Also, since I've totally dropped the ball on discussion so far, here's my opinion of The Wizards And the Warriors by Hugh Cook.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2014, 04:45:44 am »

AAAA I recommend Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel) as book one and The Tommyknockers (Stephen King) as book two!

Both very good! I will be reading the tommyknockers and I have recently finished Clan of the Cave Bear!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6