Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How sad are you that a simple issue can bring out the worst in people?

It makes me sad. So very very sad.
- 58 (49.6%)
I think it's great!
- 26 (22.2%)
I'm indifferent.
- 33 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: 2014: Equal rights  (Read 53236 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: 2014: Equal rights
« Reply #255 on: July 14, 2014, 02:55:42 pm »

"A different species in a different world couldn't be more progressive than ours is?"

True. But they're Dwarves. There is no new name for this race. They have a separate twist on the same thing, namely Dwarves. And they're advanced in culture, crafting, but not tolerance. They live a life of family and honour, and you can see how homosexuality as a minority may infringe on that.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 14, 2014, 02:56:09 pm »

I think we need to calm down and focus on discussing the issue, rather than attacking each other. Ad hominem only leads to bad places.

Sorry if I hurt your fragile, straight, white feelings.

Saying things like this is a concession that you can't argue regardless of the the merit of your argument. Try not to fall into the "clearly my opponents are just whiny" trap.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2014, 02:57:33 pm »

So you people actively WANT homophobia in your game? And here I thought DF had a good community. Boy, was I wrong.

Again, kidnapping, cannibalism, and murder. What constitutes good to have in the game does not necessarily mean "good thing".

Kidnappin cannibalism and murder all present fun gameplay aspects to me, while homophobia doesnt seem like it would add much except for a burning hatred of the kind dwarf folk...

Think about it gameplay wise, what depth would homophobia add?   would gay dwarves be burned at the stake?   or would homophobic dwarves et a bad thought at seeing a gay couple?   either way it doesnt really add much substance to the gameplay, not as much as our time tested murder, cannibalism, and kidnapping anyways.

What immersion would witch burning add? What immersion does Legends add? It's the small details that make it fun, and realistically if you have homosexuality you will have those who don't like homosexuality.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2014, 02:59:13 pm »

I think homophobia, if added at all, should probably wait until the whole opinion and quests stuff are more fleshed out; cultural shifts as an idea, perhaps, too.

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2014, 03:00:59 pm »

RE-de-railled...
This is a feature.

Lets talk about using it instead of moral beliefs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2014, 03:05:25 pm »

Well, the thread IS called Equal Rights, and that rather suggest a moral aspect. If that's wrong, then change the thread title.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2014, 03:07:43 pm »

I like the idea of dwarf fortress as a "happy" lol little world without the homophobia and racism I have to deal with on a daily basis.   Having literally seen people killed over race, was part of the 2003 benton harbor race riots, and having seen a gay man beaten to death in my homeland of somalia this is not something i want tainting my gaming experience.

Point is pretty much moot because I doubt Toady will ever implement racism/homophobia but thats just my 2 cents.   Dwarf fortress is a nice little escape from the horrors of the real world.  While I dont have to deal with three headed centipedes that breathe fire or a goblin invasion in real life, i do have to deal with racism and homophbia.  It's inclusion would ruin my favorite aspect of DF (Being able to take care of the dwarves problems will ignoring my own =p)

Ramadan Mubarak
Adow is ka ilaali

May your enemies stumble.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2014, 03:12:12 pm »

Goblins are killed over race.

Really, this is just Dwarf Fortress. It isn't airy fairy.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2014, 03:14:32 pm »

I like the idea of dwarf fortress as a "happy" lol little world without the homophobia and racism I have to deal with on a daily basis.   Having literally seen people killed over race, was part of the 2003 benton harbor race riots, and having seen a gay man beaten to death in my homeland of somalia this is not something i want tainting my gaming experience.

Point is pretty much moot because I doubt Toady will ever implement racism/homophobia but thats just my 2 cents.   Dwarf fortress is a nice little escape from the horrors of the real world.  While I dont have to deal with three headed centipedes that breathe fire or a goblin invasion in real life, i do have to deal with racism and homophbia.  It's inclusion would ruin my favorite aspect of DF (Being able to take care of the dwarves problems will ignoring my own =p)

Ramadan Mubarak
Adow is ka ilaali

The problem is that's you as an individual drawing that line. If you had a horrible kidnapping experience you might have a serious problem with child snatchers and if you wanted to personally remove them that's understandable. I'd like racism and homophobia because it would give more realism and personality to the world. Having racial conflict in world gen would be amazing from a world building point of view despite the fact that in the real world it's a serious problem.

I personally like the dwarves as sort of a blank slate. When you think about dwarven ethics (in the context of the game) what you're usually thinking about isn't the raws it's the forum. They hate elves because our popular experiences with them have led to a pragmatic dislike.

Azukash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2014, 03:17:12 pm »

Goblins are killed over race.

Really, this is just Dwarf Fortress. It isn't airy fairy.

I was about to bring that up along with elves

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 14, 2014, 03:18:34 pm »

Ramadan Mubarak
Adow is ka ilaali

Well, if Toady included them, you could probably mod them out. I don't know if he ever would, though, but creating a tolerant utopia from a bunch of superstitious, backwards settlers would be pretty fun. Their existence in the game would create the possibility of conquering them in the game.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 14, 2014, 03:19:25 pm »

It would be cool RPing a holy warrior on a crusade against the scourge of [INSERT THING HERE]
Considering how silly DF's procedural generation can get, it'd probably lead to crusades over absurd issues.

1: Greetings, I am raising a crusade against the scourge of the ethical treatment of potatoes. Will you join me on my quest?
2: It is terrifying.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 14, 2014, 03:20:39 pm »

It would be cool RPing a holy warrior on a crusade against the scourge of [INSERT THING HERE]
Considering how silly DF's procedural generation can get, it'd probably lead to crusades over absurd issues.

1: Greetings, I am raising a crusade against the scourge of the ethical treatment of potatoes. Will you join me on my quest?
Exactly, it would be awesome.
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

Sumyunguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 14, 2014, 03:20:49 pm »

2: Only of you promise to lead me to glory and mashed potatoes.

colorlessness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 14, 2014, 03:21:55 pm »

Elf/goblin racial conflict is not really analogous with real-world racism as it is obviously based in an idea of fantasy races being substantially different from each other in real ways, not just cultural or skin-color differences.

i.e. nobody in the real world experiences discrimination due to being a goblin.  Man, now I feel ridiculous having typed that out.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21