Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Report: Dirty Pigs, Dirty Politics  (Read 4400 times)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Report: Dirty Pigs, Dirty Politics
« on: July 10, 2014, 05:25:46 pm »

So now that there's a tileset for 40.01 i can finally play it without burning my eyes out.  Doing it without dwarf therapist is a new and terrible experience for me, but I muddled through it ok.

I played a brand new fortress for about a year, and I'll complain about it below:

One immigrant brought with him a pet Sow.  The sow poured beetles and louses off of it as it wandered around, and they started cropping up all over.  The cats went crazy getting rid of them, but i'm slowly be overrun by the bug invaders.  Its a Trojan Pig sort of situation.  I might have the pig suffer an unfortunate atom smashing accident...

As with other players, my trees were causing collapse warnings, but they didn't seem to produce puffs of dust, or actually do anything really.  The pauses were annoying though.

Dwarves eat, drink and do negotiations much faster now, resulting in less downtime.  This is very nice.  They also seem to put negotiations lower in the priority tree, and so my leader mined everything he was supposed to before starting the negotiations.  Go him.

A stone detailer smoothing a stone under a dwarf dumping a stone resulted in a dangerous terrain warning.

Finally, near the end of the first year, a VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS appeared.  I didn't even have a door or bridge up yet, and they mightily quashed my poor fortress.  My civilization screen didn't show anyone at war with me, and so I didn't expect to have to defend myself so early on.

The force consisted of dwarf recruits, elf bowmen and humans of various military professions.  They seemed to work as a team, not fighting one another, but instead quickly axemurdering my entire fortress.  Bandits maybe?

Anyway, a few dwarves made it to a workshop and locked themselves in, but without any wine down there, i doubt they'll last very long.  My Little Fortress: Losing is Magic.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Report: Dirty Pigs, Dirty Politics
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 05:32:04 pm »

It most likely was indeed bandits. They're now a credible threat to an early fortress, which I for one find freakin' awesome.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 06:33:51 pm »

Bandits can raid your fortress now? That's awesome, but terrifying. I'll have to be quicker getting a military established.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 06:35:30 pm »

Indeed.... My dwarves are currently totally exposed, pending the very slow creation of walls.  Dwarves seem much slower at building things in this version for me for some reason.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:22:48 pm »

Yes... stones and ores seem to be heavier or at least dwarves hauling them seem to move slower as well.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:57:35 pm »

Use blocks.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:11:20 pm »

Yes... stones and ores seem to be heavier or at least dwarves hauling them seem to move slower as well.

Compared to 0.34.11, or compared to <= 0.34.07?  Huge, huge difference there.

From what I've observed so far, compared to 0.34.11, dwarves who are "very weak" move really slowly when hauling medium-heavy things (like stone doors and certain logs).  Or maybe I just never paid close enough attention in 0.34.11.  If you find a hauler who's particularly bad, you might want to disable some of the hauling labors.  Maybe.

Or look into cross-training strength and agility.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 08:50:52 pm »

Bandits can raid your fortress now? That's awesome, but terrifying.
It was... well, you know.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 09:14:13 pm »

Bandits can raid your fortress now? That's awesome, but terrifying.
It was... well, you know.
Let me guess. It was...Ineffable?
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 09:16:26 pm »

five days and we've already ran that meme to the ground.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:18:54 pm »

I personally find it more amusing when dwarves comment on death being horrifying after they pulped someone's skull.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 08:18:46 am »

The meme fell out of a tree and pulped itself.  (It was ineffectual.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 08:24:35 am »

From what I've observed so far, compared to 0.34.11, dwarves who are "very weak" move really slowly when hauling medium-heavy things (like stone doors and certain logs).  Or maybe I just never paid close enough attention in 0.34.11.  If you find a hauler who's particularly bad, you might want to disable some of the hauling labors.  Maybe.

This may be the difference.  I only played .34.11, so I cant speak to earlier versions.

Where I saw the behavior is not somewhere that blocks would help... specifically moving stones to my stone pile for my mason before I had enough wood to make wheelbarrows.  In .34.11, dwarves would all move at a fairly regular "encumbered" movement rate, but now they seem quite a bit slower.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 09:29:19 am »

I never, ever move stones before I have wheelbarrows.  The mason's shop can initially use the small handful of stones that are already sitting there from when I dug out the room.  That'll suffice until the wheelbarrows are ready.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 09:38:57 am »

Four 5x5 stone stockpiles, all with 3 wheelbarrows. With a minecart quantum stockpile for stone in the middle, that takes from all 4. You will thank me later  :P
Pages: [1] 2