Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 159724 times)

tahu16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.24+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #435 on: June 21, 2015, 09:38:25 am »

I would like to make a request:
-a lot of necromancer towers concentrated at one point
-a living dwarf civilization
-sand
-deep and/or shallow metal
-copper is fine (iron is great, even without flux)

BONUS POINTS:
-even more towers‼
-flux
-it shouldn't too rich, I don't like when I'm drowning in diamonds
-the world should be FPS-friendly

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 13, 2015, 02:47:58 pm »

So what parameters do I need to set to create a world with tons of variation in evil/good and savage/tame biomes?  I'd like to be able to do  have a 4x4 embark with something like one part joyous wilds, one part calm, one part haunted. 

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #437 on: August 13, 2015, 03:24:56 pm »

Turn up the x and y variance for the listed parameters. You could also use the weighted mesh to get extremes, by turning mesh size to 2x2 and then turning up the listed values at each end.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 18, 2015, 12:12:12 am »

Why am I not seeing any volcanoes on my maps?  [VOLCANISM:15:100:400:3200] and [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:2:1:0:0:0:3] and not a single red carrot in the last dozen worlds I've made.

Relatedly, I'd love to see a map with the following, or an image usable for Perfect World (or exported PW worldgen file) that slots well for this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've been at this for many, many hours with no grand success, so I'd greatly appreciate any aid given at this point.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:57:02 am by Jazzeraint »
The silver is responsible for this How?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:10 am »

Why am I not seeing any volcanoes on my maps?  [VOLCANISM:15:100:400:3200] and [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:2:1:0:0:0:3] and not a single red carrot in the last dozen worlds I've made.

Relatedly, I'd love to see a map with the following, or an image usable for Perfect World (or exported PW worldgen file) that slots well for this:

I've been at this for many, many hours with no grand success, so I'd greatly appreciate any aid given at this point.
Try [Volcano_Min:3-10] depending on world size.

So what parameters do I need to set to create a world with tons of variation in evil/good and savage/tame biomes?  I'd like to be able to do  have a 4x4 embark with something like one part joyous wilds, one part calm, one part haunted.
Sent you a pm for this.

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 18, 2015, 01:22:08 pm »

Set your min volcanism up around 50.  Low volcanism includes values up to 70 or so, I can't remember the exact number, so even by setting it high, you still will have a variety of volcanic layers.  According to the wiki, Volcanoes only appear at 100 volcanism, although I have also heard it was just random in high volcanism, which was at 90+.  Either way, by pushing up the min, and requiring volcanoes to appear, things should be better.
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 18, 2015, 06:35:36 pm »

Try [Volcano_Min:3-10] depending on world size.

Set your min volcanism up around 50.  Low volcanism includes values up to 70 or so, I can't remember the exact number, so even by setting it high, you still will have a variety of volcanic layers.  According to the wiki, Volcanoes only appear at 100 volcanism, although I have also heard it was just random in high volcanism, which was at 90+.  Either way, by pushing up the min, and requiring volcanoes to appear, things should be better.

Just did a bunch of testing on this.
Contrary to the Wiki, Minimum Volcanoes determines the number of volcanoes on the region.
Tweaking the Volcanism mesh and Min/Max had zero effect on the number of volcanoes that showed up.

Thanks to you both, I now have 125 volcanoes oozing sweet, sweet magma all over my embarks.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #442 on: August 18, 2015, 11:24:44 pm »

If you really like volcaoes, you can get even more by editing the worldgen textfiles. You can put the value above it's normal maximums that way.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 19, 2015, 07:42:33 am »

Thanks for the testing.  I guess I hadn't bothered to do the science on the new version.
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 19, 2015, 11:50:06 am »

Thanks for the testing.  I guess I hadn't bothered to do the science on the new version.

There were rejections at world start, though, so the volcanism settings need to permit the number of volcanoes popping up. Even with volcanism minimum at 0, though, it didn't add any extra time to the world-gen process. The rejections happen before it starts processing anything (so when it first draws the volcanism map, I suppose).

Now I just need to find a volcano next to the other features I like...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:12:47 pm by Jazzeraint »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 19, 2015, 12:48:12 pm »

... Now I just need to find a volcano next to the other features I like...
While I understand the desire NOT to do this, it takes very little time to get a volcano exactly where you want it (at least, at the world level, not the embark level) with world painter.
It takes something that can occupy day's worth of time, and reduces it to minutes or hours at most.

In particular, if you create the exact world you want, and paint one tile of 100% volcanism, and request one volcano, it will only appear in that painted location.  Everything else can be random, if desired.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 19, 2015, 01:14:58 pm »

While I understand the desire NOT to do this, it takes very little time to get a volcano exactly where you want it (at least, at the world level, not the embark level) with world painter.
It takes something that can occupy day's worth of time, and reduces it to minutes or hours at most.

In particular, if you create the exact world you want, and paint one tile of 100% volcanism, and request one volcano, it will only appear in that painted location.  Everything else can be random, if desired.

The desired bit in particular is in the evil (at least one that reanimates, preferably) / good regions and biomes around the volcano at the embark level, as well as having local Necromancer towers. I haven't tried to max out subregions through fidgety brushing in Perfect World, though, since I've gotten errors after painting a couple of times before. Or do you mean a different application?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 19, 2015, 01:20:55 pm »

... Or do you mean a different application?
I mean the built in world painter interface, or Preset Field Values interface, if you prefer.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 19, 2015, 01:22:53 pm »

... Or do you mean a different application?
I mean the built in world painter interface, or Preset Field Values interface, if you prefer.

Oh, I'll have to try this. Thank you!

zdrgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 21, 2015, 02:43:51 am »

I spent a while playing with worldgen to find a nice vanilla mix with volcanoes galore.

I just made this map, it parameters are fun without these exact seeds, but I generated about 10 tonight before finding this one that has a lot of volcanoes with 3+ biomes in a 4x4 embark near water like aquifer or river.  Scarcity is 666 resulting in lots of embarks with shallow metals + deep metals + flux.
It has boosted numbers of good and evil biomes and is pretty close to as many biomes as u can fit on a large region map.  I remember from tweaking these back in about 40.9 that I had to adjust some of the variance numbers down or fail to create from too many biomes.

I will play this map a while and hopefully abandon many a fortress to ruin before attempting some of the harder embarks
like:  joyous tundra + terrifying frozen sea + volcano
or simply terrifying aquifer glacier volcano.  (both with multiple biome + metals & flux in 4x4 embark of volc.)

I counted at least 6 starts with my resource reqs of 2-3 biomes shallow, deep and flux + volcano and surface water (partial aquifer or river) in a 4x4.

It is very very spikey mountainous because of my parameters.
Lots of 12+ cliff faces on these volcanoes.

I boosted numbers of megas and kept the time short (112 years) to have less of them killed off.

Oh and some of the parameters lead to extra forest wetness, minimized frozen waste(though still plenty of starts) and minimized speckled oceans, lots of mountains in smaller ranges.

I hope to enjoy it, and hope someone else may :).

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:04:13 am by zdrgn »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37