Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 159673 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.24+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #465 on: September 20, 2015, 12:05:20 pm »

Lots of civs and controlling the site count after civ creation.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 20, 2015, 12:28:39 pm »

So the low cap enables lots of towers to form?
The silver is responsible for this How?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 20, 2015, 01:16:28 pm »

Think so, lots of civs with no room, lots of gods, death gods, wait a bit, pow, towerspam.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 20, 2015, 01:38:59 pm »

Think so, lots of civs with no room, lots of gods, death gods, wait a bit, pow, towerspam.

Alright, ty~
The silver is responsible for this How?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 20, 2015, 07:55:56 pm »

Do let me know how it works out, I'm fascinated to see if you can get them applied to other world sizes or other sorts of changes with the same kind of towerspam.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 26, 2015, 07:45:25 pm »

Do let me know how it works out, I'm fascinated to see if you can get them applied to other world sizes or other sorts of changes with the same kind of towerspam.

You might want to turn on "Cull unimportant historical figures". That seems to minimize CPU meltdowns during worldgen.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:01:00 pm by PyroTechno »

Jesterdwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Because the only thing that I do good is bad jokes
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 29, 2015, 01:39:34 am »

Huh, not sure this is the right tread to ask, but... ???
Well, I'd like to know how to gen a world with a lot of goblins. And by "a lot" I mean "they have manpower to send nice, big as elven ego and regular as tax collectors' visits sieges" level of population. Most obvious solution is to increase number of civs, but it only leads to poor gobbos being so outnumbered by other races, that all they are trying to do is to defend their Dark Pits from unending tide of humans, elves and, occasionally, dwarves. It's like the polar opposite of typical fantasy world. Or "Free People of DF Miltiverse"tm spend most, if not all, of their free time banging eachother and occasionally praying to gods of fertility and family for even more children.
So the question is: if increasing civ number and number of cites doesn't work, what parameters I need to change to make goblins sirvive and steadily multiply during worldgen?
(Most likely, answer lies somewere in the fields of RAW editing, but I'd like to be sure I didn't miss something very obvious. :-\ )
Not a native English speaker and all that so... Yeah, my posts may look like gibberish, but trust me, there is a meaning in them somewere. Or at least that's what I like to think.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 29, 2015, 04:42:03 am »

Well, I'd like to know how to gen a world with a lot of goblins. And by "a lot" I mean "they have manpower to send nice, big as elven ego and regular as tax collectors' visits sieges" level of population. Most obvious solution is to increase number of civs, but it only leads to poor gobbos being so outnumbered by other races, that all they are trying to do is to defend their Dark Pits from unending tide of humans, elves and, occasionally, dwarves. It's like the polar opposite of typical fantasy world. Or "Free People of DF Miltiverse"tm spend most, if not all, of their free time banging eachother and occasionally praying to gods of fertility and family for even more children.
So the question is: if increasing civ number and number of cites doesn't work, what parameters I need to change to make goblins sirvive and steadily multiply during worldgen?
(Most likely, answer lies somewere in the fields of RAW editing, but I'd like to be sure I didn't miss something very obvious. :-\ )

One way I can think of to have a lot of goblins is to limit the number of generated civilizations to 2 with Advanced World Gen (assuming you want playable dwarves as well) and continue generating and re-generating until you get goblins. They will have no competitors besides the dwarves, who they should kill off fairly easily.

(This method quite obviously has other consequences that you may not want, such as a lack of other races.)

If you still want other races as well, you're going to have to start getting into good/evil requirements - or just keep regenning vanilla worlds until you get one with the goblins dominating everything, which can and will happen eventually.

Keep in mind that in order to actually form, dwarves and humans need neutral territory, elves need pretty much any forested area, and goblins need evil territory - I think (I do know that they only build Dark Fortresses in evil biomes). The wiki isn't very specific. Therefore, increasing the amount of evil area will increase goblin territory and decrease the territory of everyone else. The best way to affect this is the "Desired Good/Evil Square Count" section of Advanced World Gen. However, this parameter is actually only a loose goal for the generator, and results will be inconsistent.

(There is the possibility that I don't know what I'm talking about here. Proceed with caution.  ;) )
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:44:39 am by PyroTechno »

Jesterdwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Because the only thing that I do good is bad jokes
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 29, 2015, 05:36:03 am »

Well, endlessly generating, re-generating and generating again proved to be quite tedious. And time-consuming. But, according to Probability theory, this way I will eventually get the ideal world, so, if everything else fails, I'll resort to this method.
As for changing Desired Good/Evil Square Count - thanks, I'll try it. :)
Also - demons often (if not always) rule over goblin civilizations. I wonder what will happen if I increase Number of Demon Types. Probably nothing in particular, but it's hard to resist the urge to instantly flip every switch, push every button and pull every lever, when you start meddling with something as complex as DF worldgen is, you know.
Not a native English speaker and all that so... Yeah, my posts may look like gibberish, but trust me, there is a meaning in them somewere. Or at least that's what I like to think.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 29, 2015, 08:09:13 am »

For what its worth i find the very small worlds to be regularly goblin dominated.  You have intrinsically fewer civs anyway, and their close proximity to all the major players tends in my experience to lead to the goblins stomping everything early in gen.

Also, try not to change too many parameters between generations, it makes it devilishly hard to figure out what was the trigger when something changes ;)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 29, 2015, 12:41:21 pm »

Well, I'd like to know how to gen a world with a lot of goblins. And by "a lot" I mean "they have manpower to send nice, big as elven ego and regular as tax collectors' visits sieges" level of population.  ...
Try this one:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a PSV world, so it's a bit contrived.  I created the area in the northwest corner just for volcano's, and left the rest of the world flat and badlands.  The volcano's create enough elevation for dwarven civs to be placed there without raising the overall thickness of the entire world.  The point here is just to demonstrate what's possible.

This world has ~10k goblins, ~5k each in two dark fortresses.  The playable civs are pure dwarven, so you shouldn't have any issues with goblin monarchs.
You can do the same in a smaller world, but the odds of "ECE's" (extinction civ events) is greater in such a small space, relatively speaking.
Aside from a titan and a few semi/megabeasts, forgotten beasts and goblins should be your only enemies.

This world also generates without rejections, as a bonus.

If this is what you're looking for, Jesterdwarf, let me know, and we can iterate on features.

Octocaesar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 30, 2015, 02:51:25 am »

It has been eight hours since I started generating worlds. No map was as close as this to the map I have in mind. It might be too big: and will probably kill my FPS eventually. I will try to use it anyway. I just had a challenging proficiency exam--I am very fired up to build a huge fortress to reward myself from all the academic pursuits I have been doing in the past few months. This shall be my map. Thank you so much.

I spent a while playing with worldgen to find a nice vanilla mix with volcanoes galore.

I just made this map, it parameters are fun without these exact seeds, but I generated about 10 tonight before finding this one that has a lot of volcanoes with 3+ biomes in a 4x4 embark near water like aquifer or river.  Scarcity is 666 resulting in lots of embarks with shallow metals + deep metals + flux.
It has boosted numbers of good and evil biomes and is pretty close to as many biomes as u can fit on a large region map.  I remember from tweaking these back in about 40.9 that I had to adjust some of the variance numbers down or fail to create from too many biomes.

I will play this map a while and hopefully abandon many a fortress to ruin before attempting some of the harder embarks
like:  joyous tundra + terrifying frozen sea + volcano
or simply terrifying aquifer glacier volcano.  (both with multiple biome + metals & flux in 4x4 embark of volc.)

I counted at least 6 starts with my resource reqs of 2-3 biomes shallow, deep and flux + volcano and surface water (partial aquifer or river) in a 4x4.

It is very very spikey mountainous because of my parameters.
Lots of 12+ cliff faces on these volcanoes.

I boosted numbers of megas and kept the time short (112 years) to have less of them killed off.

Oh and some of the parameters lead to extra forest wetness, minimized frozen waste(though still plenty of starts) and minimized speckled oceans, lots of mountains in smaller ranges.

I hope to enjoy it, and hope someone else may :).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for this, and for the PFV tutorial!

Octocaesar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 30, 2015, 08:14:35 am »

Hello,

Guys I would like to request a map

1.) Slightly larger than pocket map
2.) Has a lot of mountains and volcanoes
3.) Various mountain heights accessible to all races and possibly towers
4.) Generally dry map with some patches of green
5.) Patches of good and evil biome
6.) Major rivers

Basically, it would look like a dry desolate mountainous/volcanic land accessible to all races with random patches of greens, major river, good and evil biomes, and lots of ores.

Do you think this is possible to generate?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 30, 2015, 09:54:25 am »

... Do you think this is possible to generate?
Without using PFV, I doubt it.

The primary reason is the desire to have both major rivers (which require 90+ rain) and mostly dry areas and/or just patches of green, which require a rain of 0-9 or 10+ respectively.

I mean, I suppose it could happen, randomly, but it will be rare.

Also, all races requires both grassland/rivers for humans, and dense forest for elves.  The grassland/rivers isn't that big of a deal, but forest requires 50+ rain/drain, minimum, which again, will be challenging in a mostly dry world.

Elevation and good/evil will simply restrict some civ locations, so that, while minor, does add a bit of challenge.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 30, 2015, 05:21:02 pm »

Hey, can anyone come up with this:
A evil savage tundra AND glacier with a high number of megabeast, semi-megabeast, were-beast, and vampires. A volcano is a HUGE plus. Also I want to have access to all the civs (including Kobolds). I want the world to be really young too, just year 2 preferably. Or however long it'd take for a tower to be built nearby, since a necromancer is another plus.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:24:50 pm by nuget102 »
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 37