Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454353 times)

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3735 on: July 23, 2019, 08:10:39 am »

Is there - aside from the Object Testing Arena - a "creative mode/mod" for this game where I can build and spawn anything at a whim? Not exactly for fun, but to better understand the game's mechanics?
That is what the Object Arena is for
No, I mean like, able to customize anything. Am I able to add workshops, walls, floors, pumps, all that stuff?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: July 23, 2019, 08:55:20 am »

I don’t know, I haven’t really used object arena, people talk about it here so that’s how I know what it does. You could try it

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: July 23, 2019, 09:43:15 am »

Uhh yeeeeaahh... I've been using the arena for hours on end but it's just for pitting creatures against each other with customized skills and equipment, there's no fortress-style building involved. I was really hoping for a pure no-limits "Creative Mode" like Minecraft has.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3738 on: July 23, 2019, 11:00:14 am »

Functionally, the point of smoothing and engraving is largely to give happy thoughts to you (the player).

Engraving a person's designated room makes it a fancy room, even if it is only 3x3 size.

it's just for pitting creatures against each other with customized skills and equipment, there's no fortress-style building involved. I was really hoping for a pure no-limits "Creative Mode" like Minecraft has.

Constructing a DF mega-building? In the raws, set citizens to ultra speedy and untiring so they can build walls and floors quickly.
Use DFHack to spawn creatures in fort mode: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Utilities#DFHack
paint floors and minerals with DFHack: https://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html#mods-and-cheating
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:08:14 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: July 23, 2019, 04:22:41 pm »

I was inferring that there's less dwarfpower costly ways to increase room value than engraving, being that the latter is ~equivalent to 1 piece of furniture of same material and quality per tile.

Worth mentioning builder to add to the last list on the topic of painting floors and minerals.

Still, limitations why I have minimal bare-bones sealed off fort where I exclusively test things before killing the process.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3740 on: July 24, 2019, 02:04:18 am »

I was inferring that there's less dwarfpower costly ways to increase room value than engraving, being that the latter is ~equivalent to 1 piece of furniture of same material and quality per tile.
I hear ya.
I reckon that smoothing and engraving a 5x5 room is speedier than making 25 furniture and hauling the 25 furniture. Also less keyboard use.
Furniture might hurt FPS more than engravings.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: July 24, 2019, 09:22:36 am »

Yeah, agreed on all that (though furniture can be admired, so there's that). But you wouldn't use base quality furniture for pimping, you'd use something like a screw pump with silver corkscrew - all things excellent, it'd be worth as much as 671 typical stone floor/wall =engravings=.

The designation time argument is probably most meritous, though it is hurt by the fact that large smoothing/engraving jobs hurt fps.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: July 24, 2019, 09:51:46 am »

A goblin diplomat came to my fortress and just chilled there. Is this a rare thing or a normal thing? Do kobolds do this? In that... are there any normal, not-so-hostile kobolds?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: July 24, 2019, 10:13:11 am »

That goblin is probably a member (and a diplomat) of a non goblin civ (humans, elves, other dwarves). The [BABYSNATCHER] and the [ITEM_THIEF] tokens for goblin and kobold civs respectively should* make it impossible for their members to be at peace with you.

*Disclaimer: Unless that has changed with the advent of hidden identities.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: July 24, 2019, 12:58:13 pm »

Is there a way to put refuse away *and* avoid miasma without using some weird exploits?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: July 24, 2019, 01:12:28 pm »

It's possible to have normal, non-hostile goblins, sure - I find goblins can join human towns in mass during worldgen. The sole town in my current world is two-thirds goblins (they still keep their personality tokens, though). Kobolds, not so much - I'd guess the [UTTERANCES] token is behind this. Though they sometimes take over an abandoned hamlet or hillock.

And well, that, like, depends on your definition of 'weird exploit'. Refuse won't generate miasma in any tile that is or has been exposed to the sky, and generally it will be destroyed like other organic items by fire, intense heat, magma, intense cold, bottomless pits, raising bridges and maybe eventually time (not certain on that one), and you can just store them out of sight via a minecart that is pushed past a corner or with a 5 z-level hole you dump things into (if through a diagonal, avoids miasma as well - if you need minecart design for diagonal refuse handling, just ask, I made one once before).

Ultimately all methods for dealing with refuse exploit something for your own benefit, though - even hand-carrying it off into large out-of-the-way piles, which is pretty weird in itself as well.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:19:32 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: July 24, 2019, 03:45:12 pm »

I've seen to run in to a might (mighty annoying that is) forgotten beast. A forgotten cave blob.

Scared of it I sealed of the caverns and retreated. Then I prepped a trap corridor with weapon traps to see if that would soften it up. Not only did it not trigger the traps but it also seems to block pathing in this 1width corridor and my dwarfs refuse to attack it when given the kill order. I even stationed my dwarfs next to it and now they are just standing there in the corridor. Next to a giant blob.

What am I missing? Why can't I kill it? Why won't it attack my dwarfs? The questions are staking up.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: July 24, 2019, 04:29:36 pm »

Forgotten beasts do not trigger traps, so traps are useless. I think bridges don't work either (although I never got around to trying that out).
As to why your dwarves are not attacking I have no idea, but so far I managed to kill every FB I encountered (and that's more than 20 meanwhile) with a dedicated FB shooting chamber.
In my case that a 3 Z-Levels deep chamber with a piece of artifact furniture in the middle and two (or more) drawbridges at the bottom level, that will lock the chamber. The chamber is completely roofed over the top level and the top level walls are carved fortifications. The only problem I see would be a flying FB that could spit through the fortifications, but that hasn't happened so far.
Your archers need to be able to shoot through fortifications, which requires some level of skill. I even killed a FB made of stone with bone bolts, although it took a while, but was good archery practice as well.
Another option is lure them in a perpared room and drop the ceiling on them, works for every FB afaik. But once they have homed in on a piece of furniture, they'll not move on, so maybe a combined shooting chamber with droppable ceiling would be best *note to myself*

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: July 24, 2019, 05:11:47 pm »

...my dwarfs refuse to attack it when given the kill order. I even stationed my dwarfs next to it and now they are just standing there in the corridor. Next to a giant blob.

Some creatures are so hot that your dwarves can't path to them to engage in melee combat. Try stationing a few crossbow dwarves in the hallway behind your melee troops. Most blobs are notoriously easy to kill, but even if your crossbow dwarves don't manage a killing shot, the blob may move close enough for your melee dwarves to get in on the action.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: July 25, 2019, 01:11:34 am »

That may be it. No dwarf has taken any damage yet but I remember reading something about fire as it first appeared. Just going to have to carve a few fortifications and unload on it. Didn't want to mess with marksdwarfs on this fort because its such a bother to get them to train correctly and fire/reload correctly but seems that I have to do it anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 268