Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454477 times)

Hugo Rune

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #345 on: August 05, 2014, 02:19:57 pm »

I've just had my second dwarf caravan, but I've still not had any migrants, nor any messages about migrants, nor has my liaison mentioned anything about migrants.

If you downloaded something other than vanilla Dwarf Fortress (some graphics set, a starter pack, a "noob pack", anything), then you probably have an old d_init.txt file without the STRICT_POPULATION_CAP in it.

Does that mean that if there is no entry for STRICT_POPULATION_CAP in the d_init.txt file, that the game will never send you immigrants? Can I just copy the [POPULATION_CAP:200] parameter to STRICT_POPULATION_CAP?

Oh, and 2 of my first 7 dwarves have entered into a gay relationship, so I'm not expecting babies anytime soon either.

Is this a bug, or have I missed something somewhere?

The gay relationships are not a bug.  Lack of babies and migrants might be a bug in your third-party starter pack or graphics set (which you can fix by adding the missing setting in d_init).  There may be another bug in 0.40.06 where dwarves give birth without being married.

Lol! I wasn't implying that gay relationship were a bug, it was the lack of immigration.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 05, 2014, 03:41:47 pm »

Ok It's been 2 years and not a single person has adopted/been adopted by any pets/cats (yes all of the animals are available. (I've got about 10 cats and 15 dingos (tamed)

First, make sure animals up for adoption are not caged. Second, dwarves do not generally go out of their way to adopt pets unless they really like that animal. Do any of your dwarves have a preference for cats or dingos? Cats adopt themselves, but only to those that adore cats. It is very common for all the cats of a fort to attach themselves to a single dwarf who loves cats and follow this one dwarf around like a long trail of ducklings... which is quite amusing, but can cause "catsplosions" to occur.

Now, in rare cases dwarves may adopt animals they find newly interesting, but they have to be exposed to that animal and meet them for a time. Allowing non-grazing animals like birds, pigs, dogs, and your dingos to roam the Meeting Hall might help a dwarf decide they like an animal and want to adopt it. If your Hall has lots of dense moss, then you could have some grazers sit around and entertain people like a petting zoo, but I'm sure having a Hall made of high value stone and ore is much more preferable to everyone in a fort.  ;)

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 05, 2014, 03:48:13 pm »

Does that mean that if there is no entry for STRICT_POPULATION_CAP in the d_init.txt file, that the game will never send you immigrants? Can I just copy the [POPULATION_CAP:200] parameter to STRICT_POPULATION_CAP?

You could do that, but the normal default setting is 220, like this:

[POPULATION_CAP:200]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]

Without  STRICT_POPULATION_CAP being set in d_init.txt, it defaults to zero. So you won't get any immigrants and probably no babies either.

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 05, 2014, 04:37:30 pm »

I've started up a fortress and the elf caravan arrived.  They had some clay, a few animals, some clothing and wooden equipment, a bit of fruit, but no cloth.  I traded for the cages and fruit, gave them a few extra mugs as an offering to hopefully make the next caravan bigger, and sent them on their way.  Next year more of the same.  Plant based clothing but still no cloth. 

Do elves no longer bring bins of cloth, do they only do that once the caravan size grows, or are my elves just not interested in bringing me any cloth for some reason?
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 05, 2014, 04:56:45 pm »

Do elves no longer bring bins of cloth, do they only do that once the caravan size grows, or are my elves just not interested in bringing me any cloth for some reason?

The elves might be broken. They don't bring cloth, or seeds it seems. Still hoping they will bring some blade weed, but it looks like they aren't going to.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 05, 2014, 05:40:57 pm »

The elves might be broken. They don't bring cloth, or seeds it seems. Still hoping they will bring some blade weed, but it looks like they aren't going to.

In their entity files, elves have these tokens:
Code: [Select]
[OUTDOOR_WOOD]
[OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS]

These allow them to use wood and tree growths. They do not have the tags that enable them to use regular plants or plant growths, however.

I'm not actually sure whether that is intended or not.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #351 on: August 05, 2014, 05:43:52 pm »

I'd report that if I were you. Worst case is a comment from Toady saying it's expected, best case a bugfix and better elves.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 05, 2014, 05:49:47 pm »

The elves brought me two black bears, one male one female. Years later they still haven't had any babies. Death to elves I say.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 05, 2014, 06:04:11 pm »

No they spar with weapons all the time.

Do you have a screenshot of the sparring logs showing this?  In version 0.40.04 or later?  If so, you may be the only person not experiencing the bug.

(Actually it's also logged in plain text in gamelog.txt.  So you could look for the lines of text there, instead of messing with screen shots and image format conversions....)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 05, 2014, 06:32:34 pm »

blocking a river, thats what i need help with a the moment

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 05, 2014, 07:48:38 pm »

blocking a river, thats what i need help with a the moment

If the river freezes then wait then channel out 2x# remove ramps on sides and put floodgate. Otherwise fill it with lava.

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 05, 2014, 11:40:39 pm »

i suck at using pump stacks  :'(

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 06, 2014, 12:25:14 am »

Is it possible to get goblin caravans? If so, what do they sell?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 06, 2014, 07:26:06 am »

You'll only get caravans from them if they're not hostile to your civ.  Being baby snatchers guarantees that they'll be hostile unless you're also playing a baby snatcher civ by modding.

As for what they carry, I'm afraid I'm not sure.  The wiki indicates that they don't bring much, but I've never seen one so I don't know.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 06, 2014, 08:14:28 am »

Looks like I'll have to mod my game, then. I'll just make every civilization baby snatchers.

I assume making dwarves baby snatchers won't give me the ability to snatch babies?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 268