Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454263 times)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2014, 07:44:05 am »

ive tried, it's dense fog and snowing so everything a: looks the same and b: there's little light :( i just wanna rescue this girl

If you see the slade spire, you'll know it. A very wide, black stone structure. It should be near the marker for the fortress.

If all I ever grow are plump helmets, is there any point to cooking them?
Should I go for Easy meals or Lavish meals, if I have a legendary cook but only one ingredient?
I'd like to start growing something else, but there are just so many plants in the game I get lost.
For instance, if my dwarves only drink dwarven wine (from plump helmets), what kind of beverage should I make to get rid of the "tired of drinking the same old booze" thought?

Also, is it feasible to clothe all your dwarves by yourself? I'm on year 2 and my 64 dwarves all have slightly worn x(clothing)x, so I made a rope reed farm, though I don't know how many rope reeds I'll need.
Also, I wish I could assign specific farmers to specific plots, without having them starve because they can't leave the burrow.

Lavish meals vs Easy meals: Basically the number of different ingredients (stacks of food) used to create are different. 4 vs 2. Lavish meals are better to conserve space. [This is based on the wiki]
Tired of booze: Any other sort of alcoholic drink will do.

Your dwarves will drop any clothes that are too worn to use, so no problems there. They'll grab new clothes as long as there are some available.

Sorry, but I have no ideas for the last one. Though I guess you could make a burrow that covers most of the map EXCEPT the other farm plots.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2014, 09:24:36 am »

Also, I wish I could assign specific farmers to specific plots, without having them starve because they can't leave the burrow.
Sorry, but I have no ideas for the last one. Though I guess you could make a burrow that covers most of the map EXCEPT the other farm plots.
Or just the places they need to be. The plot, seed stockpile, a bed, and food and drink stockpiles. IDK if you need the plant stockpile. Other dwarves will probably do the hauling, which would make harvesting much faster. The burrows don't need to be connected.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2014, 09:40:18 am »

I've received the message "No outpost liaison? How curious..." two years in a row instead of a liaison. I'm playing on a small world, but I don't think my dwarven civilization is extinct (I've received immigrants as normal). Is it now possible for liaisons to be waylaid prior to arrival on the map?

I had something similar.

The Liason was stuck into a tree.
d -> t -> select area with the tree.

After cutting it down, the Liason went to meet my Mayor saying that "Nothing has changed in the world" (he was stuck in the tree for like.. 2 years?)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:36 am »

If all I ever grow are plump helmets, is there any point to cooking them?

Since cooking destroys the seeds, you would have to be very careful (never cook so many that you lose all your seeds).  I'd just say "no".  I never allow direct cooking of plants, unless they are above-ground plants that I will never be able to grow in my biome.

Should I go for Easy meals or Lavish meals, if I have a legendary cook but only one ingredient?

If your cook is already legendary, might as well crank out the lavish meals, since you no longer care about the experience gain for making twice as many easy meals.

For instance, if my dwarves only drink dwarven wine (from plump helmets), what kind of beverage should I make to get rid of the "tired of drinking the same old booze" thought?

If all your farms are underground, your booze crops are plump helmet, pig tail, sweet pod and cave wheat.  I personally never allow brewing of pig tails, because they're too important for clothing (and bags, and hospital use, and ropes).  So, I disable pig tail brewing, and allow the other three.  That gives me large stockpiles of dwarven wine, rum and beer.

If you have above-ground crops, then the number of available booze plants is potentially enormous, but it will depend on your biome(s).

Also, is it feasible to clothe all your dwarves by yourself? I'm on year 2 and my 64 dwarves all have slightly worn x(clothing)x, so I made a rope reed farm, though I don't know how many rope reeds I'll need.

Each piece of clothing wears out after about 2 years.  Each dwarf needs at least a torso covering (cloak), lower body covering (trousers) and foot covering (shoes).  That's 3 pig tails (or rope reeds, etc.) per dwarf every 2 years.  You can decrease that by putting civilians into military squads and issuing armor -- armor never wears out.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

annymouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2014, 04:46:09 am »

I'm not understanding the quest tracker this release as much as previous releases. I get missions but Q is tracking literally almost every single event which makes finding my missions quite hard. I end up just trying to find the site related to the mission.

However, I've never been able to really turn in a mission yet. Today I got one to go literally a couple tiles east and deal with bandits, so I did and returned. In old versions I could just select to report my success, in this version there's no such thing. I boast about past violent acts, ask about the rumor/event of killing the overlord/chieftan and all i get is "it was inevitable". This is when i am talking to the same person who gave me the quest!

It's frustrating. I like the new stuff, but I kind of yearn for the slightly more simple questing stuff from the older version. Maybe there's something I'm missing?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2014, 05:50:33 am »

If I tame giant Olms will they be able to breed? if not, how do I mod them so they can have children?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2014, 08:28:00 am »

If I tame giant Olms will they be able to breed? if not, how do I mod them so they can have children?

You can tame them, but they won't breed. Give them a [CHILD:#] token, with the # being how old they are in years when they become an adult.

For example, [CHILD:1] will have them mature after a single year. I believe that the olms are found in the file creature_subterranean.txt

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2014, 08:39:41 am »

You can tame them, but they won't breed. Give them a [CHILD:#] token, with the # being how old they are in years when they become an adult.

For example, [CHILD:1] will have them mature after a single year. I believe that the olms are found in the file creature_subterranean.txt
Thanks!
Soon my army of olms will be ready. Soon...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 22, 2014, 01:42:56 pm »

Are wheelbarrows worth using? Just tried assigning some to my ore stockpile and I noticed that only as many dwarves as there were wheelbarrows were actually filling it.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2014, 02:06:31 pm »

Are wheelbarrows worth using? Just tried assigning some to my ore stockpile and I noticed that only as many dwarves as there were wheelbarrows were actually filling it.

Multiple small stockpiles with 3 wheelbarrows each feeding into a QSP (Quantum Storage Pile) are the most efficient.  In general, though, yes.  Watch a dwarf haul a rock by hand vs. by wheelbarrow.  Wheelbarrows are much faster, even if less dwarves are assigned to the stockpile at a time.

annymouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2014, 02:18:32 pm »

I've somehow turned on the ability to display tracks and cannot for the life of me find how to turn it off. I've looking in keybindings and K and alt+k is not working. The green things following me are getting real annoying.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2014, 02:32:38 pm »

It's capital K, unless you're playing 0.40.01. In that version the keybinding was bugged, you can get around it by pressing (l) to look and while the cursor is up pressing (K) to toggle tracks.

If that's not it, you could change that function to a different key. Press (ESC), go to Key Bindings, Adventurer and in there look for "Adventure: Display Tracks".
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

annymouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2014, 02:56:43 pm »

i guess i'm playing .01! though this says r4 when i downloaded. In any event thank you so much, that worked!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2014, 02:58:32 pm »

Multiple small stockpiles with 3 wheelbarrows each feeding into a QSP (Quantum Storage Pile) are the most efficient.  In general, though, yes.  Watch a dwarf haul a rock by hand vs. by wheelbarrow.  Wheelbarrows are much faster, even if less dwarves are assigned to the stockpile at a time.

Quantum Storage Pile?

annymouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2014, 02:59:14 pm »

here's another hopefully easy question. When i ask someone to guide me somewhere via the join option, what does that do? They join me like any other follower. Does this mean that it marks it on the map for me and they'll leave once i get there? They don't seem to be leading me anywhere.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 268