Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454268 times)

NobleNecromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2014, 04:00:54 pm »

Quantum Storage Pile?

Quantum Stockpiles

Basically it tricks the dorfs into stacking everything that that stockpile is assign to hold in a single tile.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:55:40 pm by NobleNecromancer »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2014, 06:16:00 pm »

i guess i'm playing .01! though this says r4 when i downloaded. In any event thank you so much, that worked!

If it says "0.34.11 r4" somewhere on the start-up screen, then you are using Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11 with DFHack r4.  For Windows.  (Or maybe Mac, but the Linux version of DFHack does not announce its version.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Slyjoker87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2014, 09:39:00 pm »

How are the FPS issues coming? Are we better than 0.34.11 yet?

FPS death always got me down :C

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2014, 10:12:25 pm »

Toady's most recent blog posts would indicate that he's made some headway on the calendar related slowdown.  A lot of progress.  So that should be better now, but probably still not as fast as .34.11.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2014, 10:18:20 pm »

Toady's most recent blog posts would indicate that he's made some headway on the calendar related slowdown.  A lot of progress.  So that should be better now, but probably still not as fast as .34.11.
That was yesterday's...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2014, 11:03:21 pm »

Is there something up with moods? I seem to be getting nothing but possessed whether letting it happen normally or savescumming.

Migue5356

• Bay Watcher
  • grisha5
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2014, 11:37:24 pm »

here's another hopefully easy question. When i ask someone to guide me somewhere via the join option, what does that do? They join me like any other follower. Does this mean that it marks it on the map for me and they'll leave once i get there? They don't seem to be leading me anywhere.
They will follow you and you can "Bring your journey together" to get a general direction, also the place where you want to go will have a "GUI" next to the direction in the top left corner.
When you get there your guide will tell you so and become a normal NPC.
]hi guys,im back, who was missing me?

Y-you know. I'm just going to leave. You've all managed to thoroughly horrify me...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 22, 2014, 11:47:09 pm »

Bah I'm just full of questions today it seems. I have the pop number set to 35 in the init file, had 43 pop in game, and for some reason I just got another group of migrants that brings me to 52. Is that setting limit borked now?

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2014, 12:13:12 am »

I forget how exactly it works, I think it goes over quite a bit though. It seems just like a general limit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2014, 01:11:02 am »

Bah I'm just full of questions today it seems. I have the pop number set to 35 in the init file, had 43 pop in game, and for some reason I just got another group of migrants that brings me to 52. Is that setting limit borked now?
The mountainhomes won't stop sending migrants until their caravan informs them of your updated population.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2014, 02:09:21 am »

The mountainhomes won't stop sending migrants until their caravan informs them of your updated population.

Confirming this.

The Liason is the guy that will inform the Mountainhome that you don't want/need migrants anymore.

Children born into the Fortress might also send you over your limit (at least, that was true with LNP interface set at 200 max pop and in version 0.34.11).

EDIT
Just to clarify the migrants issue a bit..
The Liason will take information about your population needs in the Autumn of a certain year and that information will be considered true until the next Autumn.

So if you are at pop 199 (with max pop 200) in Autumn 1 he will STILL send you migrants in Winter 1, Sping 2 and Summer 2.
In Autumn 2 if you population exceeds 200 he will stop sending migrants towards your fortress.

The migration will restart only in Winter 3 if he finds that you are under 200 population in Autumn 3.

I hope this clarifies it  ;D

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:13:21 am by Getix Kain »

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2014, 02:47:58 am »

Hi guys,

Got a new fort going two questions...

I seem to have trouble keeping my seed stock up... I'm not cooking my plump helmets, but always run out of the damn things. I've tried just straight brewing them, but it doesn't seem to help, any known issues with seeds?

I also am having troubles with my dwarves constantly throwing parties for literally a full year almost now. Anytime a party ends, another begins. I've freed the table, applied another table, freed that... they just instantly throw another. I really don't want to get rid of my dining room :S

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2014, 12:29:28 pm »

I seem to have trouble keeping my seed stock up... I'm not cooking my plump helmets, but always run out of the damn things. I've tried just straight brewing them, but it doesn't seem to help, any known issues with seeds?

Are you actually running out (i.e. the z -> Kitchen menu does not show them), or are you just getting lots of planting job cancellations, but still have seeds showing up on the Kitchen menu?  If it's the latter, then it's probably inefficient stockpile design.  Make a seed stockpile by the farms, and forbid barrels in it.  Disallow seeds in all other stockpiles.  That won't eliminate the hauling cancellations, but it will greatly reduce them.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2014, 05:58:43 pm »

I just had a thought. As far as I know,

Dwarf happyness = base + (severity of thought 1)*f(time since thought 1) + ...

where base = g(total value of all items owned)
f(x) and g(x) are unknown formulas.

Would it be possible to "bribe" the dwarfs by loading them up with items of such obscene value that their mood stays at ecstatic even after a friend dies?

How would one make a dwarf own something? Could you somehow shove stuff into containers they own? What is the change in base happiness from gaining 10000*, for example? And what is the propper word for dwarven currency?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2014, 07:49:52 pm »

They're often referred to as dwarf bucks, dorfbux or any other combination of dwarf, dorf, bucks and bux.  Or sometimes urists, as any unit in DF is often referred to.

And yeah, overloading dwarves with happiness is often used to help prevent tantrum spirals or other unhappiness related bad things when friends are eaten.  The best ways to do this are to make high valued rooms for them (just put expensive furniture in a room assigned to a dwarf), have a very high quality dining room that everyone uses (same idea with the furniture) and use things like waterfalls to generate mist which makes dwarves very happy.

Beware that giving commoners very high quality rooms can upset nobles if they think the commoner is getting more than he should, even if the noble's room is better.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 268