Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there a way to use fruit and nuts dropped from trees?  (Read 8740 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Is there a way to use fruit and nuts dropped from trees?
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:45:28 am »

I embarked in a broadleaf forest, which is filled with persimmon, apple, pear, and walnut trees.  In autumn, there are lots of these things laying around, but when I check on the tile with the [k] menu, and try to move the menu selector on top of say, "pears", I can't press enter, and get a value.  These items appear to be getting created, but have no value, and thus no use?

It just seems kind of strange to taunt the player with all those loverly item drops, and not be able to make use of them. Apples are used to make apple juice, which in turn is used to make cider, and brandy.  Pear is also good for making brandy. Walnuts can be pressed for a useful oil. 

Please dont tell me I need to go bananas with modding to make this happen...

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to use fruit and nuts dropped from trees?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 03:50:32 am »

IIRC I saw elsewhere that we'll be able to do delicious things with these fruits in a following update.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:23:26 am »

Hopefully soon we can make use of these.  I wanted to have masterwork apple roasts and pear stew and macadamia nut oil soap :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:51:36 am »

Though you can't haul tree-droppings to a stockpile or do much else with them, there IS an option in the Still building to "brew drink from fruit", which does seem to work sometimes. I managed to get my dwarves to brew up some cherry booze, so if nothing else at least you can transmogrify some of them into alcohol.

Or maybe I brought the cherries from the elves. Can't remember. I definitely brewed them, though, I remember seeing the building option highlighted in white instead of red.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:55:54 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:18:27 am »

You have to add [OUTDOOR_ORCHARD] to the entity file.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 10:29:46 am »

IIRC I saw elsewhere that we'll be able to do delicious things with these fruits in a following update.
It looks like they are... *glasses slide on* low-hanging fruit.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 11:18:35 am »

Is this possible to do in a running game, or do I have to gen a new world?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 11:38:02 am »

Is this possible to do in a running game, or do I have to gen a new world?

I will find out.

*edit

Added [OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS] (copy pasted from the forest entity) to the appropriate spot in the mountain entity, then loaded my game back up. Does not seem to have crashed, but the game did crash last night, so I am playing on a previous save before autumn.

We will see if the dropped fruits and nuts are collectable.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:45:46 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 12:28:58 pm »

No. Adding the tag after world gen does not seem to be effective. Fruit still dropped, still cant do anything with it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 01:06:23 pm »

Is anybody reporting success with the new tag?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 06:20:31 pm »

Sometime tonight I will gen another world with it in the requisite entity.

I will see if it is effective then.

if it is, I will do the needful, and retire the current fort, then reclaim it, so that the 2week miniworldgen happens, to see if that refreshes the entity data, and enables it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 01:13:36 am »

Ok, I have poked the master raws, and added [OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS] and [USE_GOOD_PLANTS] to the mountain entity, and genned a new world.

I am now going to play this new broadleaf forest site until autumn, and see if fruit is harvestable. There are apples, pears, peaches, and hazelnuts just on a cursory exam of the site. 

*EDIT

Autumn has come, and fruit fell. Cannot use. Adding those tags does not allow dwarves to use the fruit.

I suspect that they are not a normal "item" type object, and are more like a "material", like "pile of mud". Extensive modding would be required I think to get trees to drop useful fruits and nuts.

*EDIT AGAIN

HOWEVER--- It appears that the dwarven merchants offer fruit as a requestable trade commodity after adding those tags!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:08:00 am by wierd »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 06:06:47 am »

Well, Toady did describe them as 'item clouds' when he implemented them, which does indeed make them similar to water and mud.

This means we'll probly get a seperate job, like 'foraging' or 'fruit gathering', to get fruits out of the itemclouds.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 06:22:19 am »

While OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS allows you to get fruits and nuts from traders you cannot collect them from trees.

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 06:53:09 am »

Ok, I have poked the master raws, and added [OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS] and [USE_GOOD_PLANTS] to the mountain entity, and genned a new world.

I am now going to play this new broadleaf forest site until autumn, and see if fruit is harvestable. There are apples, pears, peaches, and hazelnuts just on a cursory exam of the site. 

*EDIT

Autumn has come, and fruit fell. Cannot use. Adding those tags does not allow dwarves to use the fruit.

I suspect that they are not a normal "item" type object, and are more like a "material", like "pile of mud". Extensive modding would be required I think to get trees to drop useful fruits and nuts.

*EDIT AGAIN

HOWEVER--- It appears that the dwarven merchants offer fruit as a requestable trade commodity after adding those tags!
I don't think that's the tags.  I bought cherries from traders without any tags.
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"
Pages: [1] 2