Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 328141 times)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1185 on: September 28, 2014, 08:48:29 pm »

@ArKFallen

Thanks, very helpful!

So if I create this civilization, and the pop ratio for breeding females and males is very low, is there anyway for me ensure that at least two of the starting embark members belong to those castes?

If not, I suppose I'd have to find a workaround of some sort like one involving pets or transformations.

Somewhat related; can I make sure the starting population at worldgen has at least one breeding pair.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:54:50 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: September 28, 2014, 11:03:52 pm »

The wiki says that a can-do-interaction with no usage hint will be used on any valid target, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Anyone know how to force a creature to use an interaction?
Have you tried a longer time frame for having the interactions? 20 is maybe 2 steps. And dwarfs don't always do reactions immediately when they can. If they can they will always do it (eventually). Jack it to 100-200 and adjust the wait_period accordingly.

Also, 'Awakening Dolomite' won't apply (because of no effect).

So if I create this civilization, and the pop ratio for breeding females and males is very low, is there anyway for me ensure that at least two of the starting embark members belong to those castes?

If not, I suppose I'd have to find a workaround of some sort like one involving pets or transformations.
If this is for distribution: nothing short of DFHack wizardry, which I lack. (The breeding civ pets idea is workable, might want to fiddle with orientation so you don't occasionally get dud pairings)
If this is for personally faffing about: you can adjust the world's raws before embarking, save and exit on embark, and then change it back. I have done this for more than a few forts.

Somewhat related; can I make sure the starting population at worldgen has at least one breeding pair.
World Gen has changed too much for me to give a definite answer or even a guess.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 29, 2014, 09:39:35 am »

The wiki says that a can-do-interaction with no usage hint will be used on any valid target, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Anyone know how to force a creature to use an interaction?
Have you tried a longer time frame for having the interactions? 20 is maybe 2 steps. And dwarfs don't always do reactions immediately when they can. If they can they will always do it (eventually). Jack it to 100-200 and adjust the wait_period accordingly.

Also, 'Awakening Dolomite' won't apply (because of no effect).
Thanks, I'll put in some innocuous effect for the syndrome, but I'm really only interested in the interaction-trigger.

I went with 20 ticks because I didn't want a miner to dig from one boobytrapped tile into another while all of the timers were still running.  But given that an inhalant is far from a foolproof delivery method, and single-tile clusters don't seem to ever be near each other, so a longer duration probably won't be a problem.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 29, 2014, 10:26:27 pm »

What's an easy way to make a creature that will die instantly (or almost instantly), and preferably by suffocation?

Got a simple dummy creature made with a simple 1 part body for being used in transformations to turn living creatures into gold statues. The dummy creature is supposed to die and leave behind the gold statue. Problem is, it's not dying.

Spoiler: raws (click to show/hide)

Also, anyone know the tile value for the Omega symbol used for statues?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 29, 2014, 11:00:29 pm »

To update, adding an effect to the syndrome didn't seem to matter because the interaction still isn't called even if I extend the can-do-interaction to 300 ticks or so.

I also found out that modtools/add-syndrome doesn't work for me :(

Maybe I can re-work the logic into a syndrome-trigger script, then I won't need the interactions at all.  I'll just need to rifle through the syndrome-utils stuff to figure out if the unit is affected by the "favor" syndrome.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: September 29, 2014, 11:57:28 pm »

what're you doing?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1191 on: September 30, 2014, 05:27:09 am »

Also, anyone know the tile value for the Omega symbol used for statues?
<looks at his Ironhand-to-ASCII two-layer helper picture> Omega tile is 234.
Regular 1partbody / 2partbody creature with no [BREATHE]-tagged bodypart (usually a lung) should suffocate.

I hope you have a text editor that does "find string in these subfolders' files", it is super handy when modding.
(code editors such as Crimson Editor, Emerald Editor, Notepadplusplus, see maybe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_text_editors  )
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:29:56 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 30, 2014, 06:04:20 am »

What's an easy way to make a creature that will die instantly (or almost instantly), and preferably by suffocation?

Got a simple dummy creature made with a simple 1 part body for being used in transformations to turn living creatures into gold statues. The dummy creature is supposed to die and leave behind the gold statue. Problem is, it's not dying.

Spoiler: raws (click to show/hide)

Maybe if you make it have gold skin but pure brain on the inside then it will suffocate?  If not, try giving it boiling blood and maybe it's brain will immediately melt, killing it. If that doesn't work maybe try removing the brain then and making it BASIC_1PARTBODY_THOUGHT, while keeping the boiling blood. These are all of my ideas, I never tried them so this is all theoretical.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: September 30, 2014, 06:41:51 am »

what're you doing?
I'm not at my machine now, but I was using

modtools/add-syndrome -syndrome "granite favor" -target 14145

And got an error from inside IsValidTarget about checking the caste (that's in syndrome-util).  It throws the same error even if I add the -skipImmunities flag.

Edit: Fixed a typo because my smartphone likes to change things when I'm not paying attention.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:27:59 am by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 30, 2014, 10:24:43 am »

Tested my dummy creature in arena with [MAX_AGE:0:0] and it died instantly. So that's one way to do it. Dislike the death report about old age but it will work until I find another way to handle it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 30, 2014, 08:27:47 pm »

[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_TYPE:ALL:BONE]

[SELECT_MATERIAL:BONE]
[TL_VASCULAR:0]

Remove the blood material as well.  My 'bonedaddies' just shredded each other, yet are completely alive, though much more resilient to attack.
I might have made a mistake... they're painfully resilient but apparently the "muscle" tissue still exists, as does fat.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 30, 2014, 08:38:28 pm »

I might have made a mistake... they're painfully resilient but apparently the "muscle" tissue still exists, as does fat.
Do not use [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE] or any of the tissue body detail plans when creating 1 material monsters. If you used pisskop's code and the default vertebrate_tissue_layers you will only have given them one extra bone layer everywhere.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 30, 2014, 08:43:08 pm »

...that must be it.
Still, they're nigh invulnerable at this point, but still can't beat a human in a practical period of time.
100% solid bone should solve that.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1198 on: September 30, 2014, 08:48:19 pm »

Tested my dummy creature in arena with [MAX_AGE:0:0] and it died instantly. So that's one way to do it. Dislike the death report about old age but it will work until I find another way to handle it.

dummy creature that dies instantly:
Have a material that melts or takes damage (HEAT_DAM) around 9000.
create FUNCTIONAL tissue that uses this death material
give dummy brain
make brain out of Death tissue.

also remove all tags that are relevant to no-thought or living without a brain
creatures own body heat and the surrounding heat will damage the brain insta-killing it.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 30, 2014, 08:59:53 pm »

Somewhere I made DF throw a fit - viewing the description of skeletons makes the game freeze up, but only when you're playing as one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 247