Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47

Author Topic: "Upon the High Seas: Age of Abandon" - 3.5 DnD OOC Thread [Full]  (Read 37746 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile

IC Thread

In Abandon the gods have left us to our own devices. Since the holy wars of Godblessed none have heard the call of our deities. No one knows why they abandoned us. We know they revealed themselves to us after the age of Revival. After we proved we did not need a guiding hand to accomplish justice. After the Hellhammers slew the last of the Draconic Overlords they revealed themselves to us. Obviously, we have done something wrong. The wars were a mistake. Yet there is still a large amount of evil in this world. Piracy is becoming more and more apparent. Each nation has struggled to squash it out of the world. It is for this reason that I propose the formation of a Grand Navy to combat piracy without care for borders or nationality. I send this letter to each nation in the hopes that they will stand with me. Any support will be rewarded with protection from the Grand Navy. Please, for the sake of our countries and our gods, accept my offer.” –Letter from Arcount Holides, the highest leader of Harleque, dated A.1273.

Being travelers upon the sea you find yourself thinking about the implications of the letter sent out five years ago that set up the Grand Navy. Since then support has been thin, volunteers and boats hard to come by, and financial support only possible due to Arcount Holides’ utter dedication to eradicating pirates. How odd that despite these setbacks the Grand Navy has managed to do so much. Relatively speaking. Piracy still runs rampant but travelling is something you find yourself doing none-the-less. You look around the boat you are on. A decent mix of the sentient races. Your reasons for being here are your own. Whether this is your first journey or one of many, whether you have a destination in mind or are just wondering, whether the ship is pirate, merchant, or Navy doesn’t matter. What does matter, is your life is about to change.

Welcome to “Upon the High Seas” a first time DM’s attempt to make something resembling a fun game. The game world will be shaped, in part, by the characters you create. BUT first there are some ground rules.

Quote from: The Rules
-Is a PBP game on this very forum. This is the OOC thread, obviously, keep IC comments in the IC thread which will be done when I have enough players. [4 Character maximum for now]
-Try to refrain from power gaming too much. I am new to this so if you do that I will not be able to challenge your character appropriately.
-When you create your character [on Mythweavers if possible] please put the following in the “Additional Information” box.
   1. How your character views Piracy. 1-5 [1=In favor, 5=Opposes]
   2. How your character views the Grand Navy. 1-5 [Same as above]
   3. Your characters goal in life.
   4. When the prepare spells [if applicable]
   5. A letter/number as well as a color which will represent you on the battlemap.
-We are using a 28 point buy system. Mouse over This to learn more. If you need further information see the DM guide, or the internet.
-You are given free reign with the Players Handbook classes and races as I have that book. If you want something else it requires GM approval (Send a link if you can).
-You can have ONE flaw and ONE trait if you so wish but you must include what they do or your character will be considered incomplete.
-Your character starts with the average amount of gold for their class. [Barbarians, for example, start with 100gp while Paladins start with 150.]
-You start at Level 1 with the max HP roll. Future rolls will be done by the DM.

You will see enemies health described instead of stated outright. In descending order the states are:

Healthy
Barely Hurt
Hurt
Badly Hurt
Critical
Near Death

Spoiler: House Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Homebrew feats (click to show/hide)

Players
KJ1225 is playing Kyle a Male Human Ranger
My Name is Immaterial is playing Vicnan Graveltoes a male Strongheart Halfling Conjurer
Flying Dice is playing Lora Seaworthy the Female Human Rogue.
Kassire is playing Jernak Pyicey the Male Human Swashbuckler.
Silthuri is playing Eileen the Female Elf Druid

Wait-listers
Tawarochir is playing Richye Kyne the Human Gentleman Bard [At the bottom of the list for idling out of the game.]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:19:22 am by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My god, is everyone doing piracy D&D games? Might as well join one of them. In. I'm very tempted by barbarian right now. Never played one before.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Can I choose Orc as my race? Cause if I can, then I'l make a Male Orc Rogue.
Also going to propably need some help making my character, but that's going to be for when I actually make him.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

In
With a ranger most likely.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

In.
Really want to play this. I certainly know what I'm going to be doing for at least the next few hours.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I didn't quite understand the points to stats conversion, is it one to one or am I missing something?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My god, is everyone doing piracy D&D games? Might as well join one of them. In. I'm very tempted by barbarian right now. Never played one before.

I find it an interesting way to handle adventures.

Can I choose Orc as my race? Cause if I can, then I'l make a Male Orc Rogue.
Also going to propably need some help making my character, but that's going to be for when I actually make him.

Half-Orc certainly. But if you want to be an actual Orc you'll have to tell me what that grants you in terms of statisticcs cause I'm not sure what that is and I don't have the Monster Manual... yet.

So, I didn't quite understand the points to stats conversion, is it one to one or am I missing something?

Up until 14 yes. If you mouse over the pink portion I put in the conversions there.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Upon the High Seas: Age of Abandon" - 3.5 DnD OOC Thread [Full]
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 03:27:39 pm »

Also, holy my word! That was quick.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you guys suggest an Elven ranger or something else?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

So, with the point buy, we start with all stats at 8 an then use points? Okay, cool.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: "Upon the High Seas: Age of Abandon" - 3.5 DnD OOC Thread [Full]
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 03:39:21 pm »

I probably missed this. Is anything out of the SRD fair game? It's essentially the 3.5 PH and Monster Manual with the actual rules stripped out; plus psionics and alternate rules available to the side.

Because I'd like to be the group cleric.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Imma gonna smack anyone who plays an elf.
As a rule of thumb, elves are bad, because they get a penalty to CON, which is always bad. Play one of the subraces if you must be an elf.
Another rule of thumb, there is little any race can do that a human cant do better.

Nerjin, can we get races and extra rules from the D20 SRD and the D&D wiki?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd prefer if you didn't. BUT if you want to you can link the relevant articles to me and I will make a decision.

Imma gonna smack anyone who plays an elf.
As a rule of thumb, elves are bad, because they get a penalty to CON, which is always bad. Play one of the subraces if you must be an elf.
Another rule of thumb, there is little any race can do that a human cant do better.

Please refrain from power gaming. Do something because it is fun or fits the character you want to make. I award RP experience so... Yeah.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Posting to watch, waitlist, offer guidance. (an' maybe be assistant DM if Nerjin wants/needs/lets me)

As a note: certainly do something fun and creative. But don't let your character be a burden to the party, rather than an asset. It results in the other players becoming annoyed and a poor RP experience for everyone. Just see if you can go about it in a unique way.

Don't be afraid to ask Nerjin for homebrew stuff! At least not minor stuff. Things like exotic weapons specific to your character or variants on the core classes, like it describes how to do in the DMG. Makes things more interesting, and you can be something cool while still being effective. The worst he can do is say 'no' after all.Well he could actually kick you out too but he's a nice guy so he won't do that
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47