Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Full Dwarfish Language??  (Read 1130 times)

Snailtopia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Full Dwarfish Language??
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:03:22 am »

I've noticed, as I'm sure everyone has, that the entire dwarvern language seems to consist only of nouns and adjectives used to name wars, civs and pet ducks. Has anyone ever thought of filling in a few words and grammar to make it a full language? Sounds like a huge project, but I think I'd enjoy such a task...
Good idea, yay or nay?
Also, any helpful input would be awesome  8)
Since when does an overseer need sanity?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Re: Full Dwarfish Language??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:12:20 pm »

Hi!
Such a feature has been suggested, pleaded and even offered to be made via crowdsourcing. There are many topics laying out there and some are hard to find, but maybe the most relevant might be this: Dwarven Linguistics: Community Project. The project has been pretty much inactive since this year's beginning.

If I find another one I'll edit this post accordingly.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:05:30 pm »

I've been working on-and-off (mostly off) on making a Dwarven Language. Languages are hard, and my interest in them waxes and wanes, but someday I'll finish it. I did make an alphabet for it, though: there's a font available on DFFD somewhere.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Snailtopia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 10:25:07 pm »

Hi!
Such a feature has been suggested, pleaded and even offered to be made via crowdsourcing. There are many topics laying out there and some are hard to find, but maybe the most relevant might be this: Dwarven Linguistics: Community Project. The project has been pretty much inactive since this year's beginning.

If I find another one I'll edit this post accordingly.

Cheers Valtam, I'll give it a look. Yea, this kind of thing really interests me and I've been working on and off on a few mini-projects of my own. The language_DWARF.txt file just sits and taunts me constantly, and to make something out of it would be cool. And I'd like to see your stuff, Loam :)
Since when does an overseer need sanity?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 12:19:53 am »

Such a feature has been suggested, pleaded and even offered to be made via crowdsourcing.
Not to mention, planned by Toady. It's just not a super soon priority.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 12:19:35 am »

I like to imagine that actual words are used minimally and most of the conversation is filled in with grunts, bodily noises, and wild gesticulation.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 02:11:30 am »

I like to imagine that actual words are used minimally and most of the conversation is filled in with grunts, bodily noises, and wild gesticulation.
Grunts would be a kind of vocabulary, but it would be cool to have grammar conveyed through body language.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 03:53:43 am »

Having a complete, or at least more complete, language would be pretty amazing. I would think any body language would primarily involve a Dwarf's beard in one way or another.

The various threads that pop up from time to time about Dwarven beards are always entertaining, and some of those ideas would probably work well with language. Things like the beard being more of a sensory organ, or possibly somewhat prehensile. I'm sure there's more, but it's 5am and my brain is noticeably chugging.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 06:57:43 am »

I like to think the weirder names are obscure references to local mythology.