Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: airsofts!  (Read 5213 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: airsofts!
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 01:45:34 am »

So... how would one go about making a light automatic airsoft with large capacity? :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 03:02:11 am »

Making as "making it from scratch" or just "buying some factory made replica and modifying it further"? I have no idea on the former. CNC and lots of moneys I guess or just a really good imagination and some practical skills like in NAV's case.  :D

As for the second option - buy some drum magazines. When it comes to mags, it all boils down to 3 types in airsoft. First, you have Low-cap(acity). Those are usually around 50 bbs or something like that. A subset of low-caps are real-caps, that hold the exact number as their real life counterparts (so for example, 30 for standard M4 mag).
Then you have mid-caps. This are just that, something between low-caps and high-caps. Not really popular, at least to my knowledge. 100, 200 bbs or so. The final ones are high-cap. This range from couple of hundreds to couple of thousands. Well, those 1000+ are usually reserved for heavy machineguns, standard M4 high-cap would be around 400 I think. BUT as mentioned above - drum magazines! Strap one of those on your light assault gun and voila, 1000+ bbs monster. Though not every replica has it's own type of drum mag. But it's easy enough to get M4 or G36 series ones, AK too.

Other then that - buy moar magazines. Seriously, the amount of bbs you can have on yourself is limited only by amount of magazines/bottles filled with bbs you can carry. Well, unless you are playing with people who put certain restrictions on this very thing. Some teams play with low/real-caps only, some don't.

edit:
So basically you could buy G33 and strap this mag (theoretically, as right now it's out of stock) on it. Or you could go reall silly, buy M4 drum mag and then put it on one of these little fuckers. The possibilities.
I'm telling you, airsoft is like a F2P MMO with micro-transactions cosmetics shop, only cosmetics cost you a lot more and in some cases help you in a way this MMO turns into a P2W. And once you are in, there's no way out. Ummm, unless you decide to stop spending, that is.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:32:35 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 03:09:03 am »

Over here in the UK they were always known as BB guns. I didn't hear the term airsoft until I hit adulthood.

My dad has always had them and so I did a lot of target practice when I was growing up. There are a couple of nice indoor and outdoor places not far that do competitive airsoft (one is an old court house). I haven't been yet, but it's only a matter of time.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 03:53:40 am »

Having shot stuff with these guns twice, I can assure you they are lame as hell :x

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 04:02:05 am »

But my problem is I don't need that fancy gun-shape and whatnot, because it not only makes it heavy, but who puts an assault rifle on an airplane, really. :I

Like I said above, something best would be a light thing that can be equipped on something like a quadcoptor. :D

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 04:09:36 am »

Oh, quadcopter you say? Getting it on an airplane you say?

Huuuummmmmmmmmmm... Something custom made possibly out of those full-auto pistols or maybe just a stripped down assault rifle gearbox... Huh, a challenge. I'll get back to you later.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 03:32:26 am »

Surely Sinistar will deliver! D:

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 08:47:35 am »

Yeah, my brother bought a full metal AK74u, and it's electric and has select fire. AEGs are convenient because you don't need to pay for gasses, but inconvenient because you need to charge the batteries for a certain amount of time (usually 4 hours or so) and anything longer than that risks damaging the battery. There are special chargers that don't damage them, though.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 03:11:43 pm »

Surely Sinistar will deliver! D:

And I shall!

Raise the banners, sound the battle-horns, form the ranks! 3, 2, 1 - Deeeeeliiiivvvvveraaaaanncccceeeee!!

Pompous intro aside, I apologize for not doing that earlier. But my HDD got bust last Sunday so my internet capabilities were severely limited.

"But but Sinistar, you were online since last Friday!" I hear you say. "Why did you neglect your duties? Were you too busy fappin or something?" And to that I'll answer that I didn't post earlier because shut up.

ANYWAYS:
So, you are basically making a home-made battle drone that'll spew plastic death from above upon unsuspecting scum of the society? Or something along those lines. Well, my best guess is you'll need something custom made. By you. So, you'll need something like this or this or... any fully automatic airsoft pistol, I guess. Now, tbh, pistols aren't my specialty. Never advanced to the point I'd buy myself one (even though I had quite some on my to-buy list, hehe). That means I never opened one myself and never really saw others do it. But AEPs basically shouldn't be that different from AEGs - both should have an electric motor and gearbox. To minimize the weight, you'd thus discard the housing of one such pistol and be left with above parts and, of course, barrel. Dunno what your copter's setup is, but I'm guessing arranging said parts and also a battery would now be much easier than fiddling around with a bulky pistol.

One immediate problem I see now is bb supply. You already said you desire a big capacity and hi-cap pistol mags can't match with those of rifles. BUT. The stripping of the gun gives us yet another benefit - the gun's housing is not a limit for your mags anymore, huzzah! So theoretically you could strap on one of those drum mags I was rambling about above. Of course, the bigger the mag, the heavier. You'll have to work it out yourself what's the most effective one for your case.
Still, the problem of connecting the supply to the shooting mechanism remains. But what you really have to do is just find a PVC pipe of right diameter and connect them airtight. Actually, thinking now, flamethrower project mentioned above seems like something whose you could use. Maybe NAV can throw some suggestions?

Do note I'm talking purely theoretically here. I'm making a mental sketch that says this might work, but imagination is a fiddly thing. You could just strap a pistol on your copter and be done with it. But you'd still have to connect the trigger somehow and that, again would probably be a lot easier without the housing.
Or you could do the same with a stripped-down rifle, but pistol would definitely be better when it comes to wight. If you do go the pistol route however, I'd wager you could get just gearbox + motors even cheaper somewhere as spare parts.
Also, there's that whole question of HOW to fix those parts on the copter. Gearbox and motor must be fixed really tight, no wiggling about there. But I have no more suggestions for now.

Anyways, keep us updated! Oh, and if you by any chance get arrested because it turns out you really want just an assassin drone to take care of some hated politician AND your project was in fact successful - please don't tell them any of us helped you. Blame it all on the voices in your head, that usually works.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 04:04:52 pm »

(shit, this thread was active back in 2014?... I could swear it was posting in it last year...)

Anyways. Backed by internal rules of "some people don't give a damn about thread necromancy, some do" I am bringing this topic back to life. It had some useful info in it I feel would be needlessly wasted away with the creation of new thread AND I don't expect this revival to last that long anyways...

Let's talk airsoft.

Anyone playing? Anyone wishes to play? Pics of your gear(s of war)? Any war stories/silly incidents/sustained injuries you wish to tell us about?

Or we can salivate over replicas. For instance, I've been on a lookout for Vintorez for years, I even remember back then when one of the high-end manufacturers announced the release of one... I now found cheaper versions. This one, specifically.
Note the 40% price drop. Crazy, I tell you. Of course, there are still versions out there that look simply better, but those things are out of my league, like most of the exotics (would I kill for Real Sword's Type 97...).

What say you, should I spent my money on this? Or maybe I should do something more important with my money like pay bills and buy food?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 02:52:01 am »

An acquaintance of mine, friend even, in his 40s is really into airsoft and re-enactment.

I believe he has 2 deactivated MG42 machine guns he built into spring operated full auto airsoft guns. Theres pictures but I need his permission first.  :)

Two-way mock combat is something I'm interested too but it seems airsoft guns are even more expensive than my rifles, optics and other accessories were.  :D I'd also need to find the time for yet another hobby somewhere.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 11:24:37 am »

I believe he has 2 deactivated MG42 machine guns he built into spring operated full auto airsoft guns.
Wow. This sounds both freaking awesome and lie something that needs quite a lot of mechanical expertise tp acchieve. Granted, my IRL gun knowledge is limited only to what you can find on the internet and my understanding of inner-workings of airsoft replicas is rather basic too, so maybe this sounds even more complicated to me than it is, but still, hats off to your friend.

Two-way mock combat is something I'm interested too but it seems airsoft guns are even more expensive than my rifles, optics and other accessories were.  :D I'd also need to find the time for yet another hobby somewhere.
Well, the blessing and the curse of airsoft is that past the very basic starting stuff, your "needs" are limited only by your imagination and amount of money you wish to spend. I'm pretty sure you could put something fairly decent together for as little as ~200€, though I am not as familiar with what you can buy in non-EU regions. I know Asian shops that sell stuff worldwide but those options never seemed profitable for me. Really, I don't think STARTING with airsoft is really costly these days (unless one lives in a country where there are few reliable airsoft suppliers or maybe the country imposes special regulations...), the problem is not going down the slippery slope of "I must have MOAR".

... Just few days ago I bought three rifles. Three rifles and some more stuff. When initially I was planning on buying just one.

I sometimes cry a little inside.

Not my photo, but that

pretty much.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:07 am »

Sounds like me in the store last time: planned to get about 200 cartridges for 0,5 euro each, end up getting 500, including some precision ones 1,65 euro... So silly, I'll probably never get to using them.

Anyway, I couldn't find a picture on the MG42, but this is also his. Real thing, but deactivated, turned into an airsoft gun with working magazine. Harmless, legal and good looking.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I believe the mechanics required by both gas and electricity operated airsoft guns are so compact that they can be fit into receivers of pretty much anything. Here, the part of the legal deactivation process is blocking the barrel in various ways so drilling it open again is probably the most time taking task.

edit: I should probably add that drilling the barrel open / too open probably turns the device back into an actual firearm too. I don't advice doing that; you may want to stick to older deactivations where the barrel is open and the deactivation has been done by cutting the bolt and/or other means.

edit: or the South/East Euro deactivations that are like that even now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:23:18 pm by Erkki »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2016, 07:14:26 am »

His airsoft armory yesterday. Not pictured: live firearms, crossbows, bow, several BBs and a Maxim.  :)

edit: heres the link to a photo much better than the original.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:56:27 am by Erkki »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2016, 11:34:09 am »

I played paintball for a while. That's not airsoft, of course. Also have a BB pistol but I needed like 12 shots to hit something a foot away from it, so yeah. Not impressed with accuracy.

If you've got tons of money to waste, there's plenty of things other than airsoft to waste it on, such as:
1. paintball
2. warhammer
3. video games and computer parts
4. investing it so you can retire decades early, supposedly

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 [2] 3