Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: airsofts!  (Read 5208 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
airsofts!
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:43:26 am »

In Korea, airsofts are called BB guns, and BB guns are illegal. So that confused me for a bit.

Is anyone familiar with how airsofts work? How do they shoot the pellet? And are there automatic airsoft guns? :O

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
Re: airsofts!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 04:46:57 am »

Most airsoft guns fire pellets using C02 canisters, others use springs. Not entirely sure about the details but yes there are full-auto airsoft guns, my cousin had a select fire MP5 airsoft gun.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 05:29:10 am »

I guess things are quite different in your place, Steelmagic. Here, in my part of Europe, things are like this:

- CO2 is not the medium of choice in majority of cases. Traditionally, it was used with some handguns or (sniper) rifles, but seldom there were restrictions on CO2 usage, at least when it came to handguns specifically. Few years ago, new generation of CO2 powered assault rifles started to make waves on the market but at least to my knowledge, they are still not that popular. The price and more demanding maintenance compared to electric ones play huge role here.

- Other gases are so called green and red gas. Red is stronger, but both are weaker than CO2 cannisters. Again, handguns and sniper rifles, with no real limits on usage I'd be aware of.

- The tool of choice for most of I know here is however AEG or Airsoft Electric Gun. A battery serves as a power source for electric motor that with the help of some gearwheels runs a cylinder that compresses air which in turn sends the bbs flying. As said, most of people I know use some sort of AEG unless they are sniping and most of AEGs are assault rifles. So yeah, automatic airsoft guns are pretty much standard here. :)
The best batteries used to be Ni-MH, but few years ago prices of Li-Po (which are generally smaller, hold more charge, last longer) started to go down and if I understand correctly, Li-Po is the new Ni-MH these days. Sadly, haven't been playing airsoft for years now. :(

- And I forgot about spring powered ones: well, spring is used in handguns, shotguns, rifles, sniper rifles and some assault gun replicas, but not for actual automatic firing. Generally, only sniper rifles and shotguns (kinda) are the ones to utilize spring to a "competitive" degree, other I mentioned boil down to under-powered replicas meant for the under-aged OR as a cheap replacement if you really can't get anything else. I mean, you can easily get together with some friend you know and you all use spring powered handguns, why not. But if there's even just one guy wit automatic aeg, well, he has an obvious advantage. But I do imagine spring powered CQB battle could be quite entertaining, even though I never had the pleasure of participating in one.

As for BB guns and BB pellets - yeah there was some confusion on my part too here. But I do believe the confusion is due to the fact "air guns shooting lead pellets" were/are often called BB guns. In airsoft, BB is a name for pellet we use, but those are round, PLASTIC pellets. So in some ways, airsoft guns ARE bb guns but...not those kind of bb guns, I guess.

Also, I think it's almost impossible airsoft would be illegal in Korea. I might be mistaken here, but I do think you have quite a lively scene there. Well, I know for sure Japan, Taiwan, Philippines and China, possibly Vietnam, have it, though there are bound to be some difference in local laws (for instance, Japan is very strict on pellet speed restrictions, where here in Europe we don't give a damn). Ok, China produces lot's of AEGs, but I'm also not sure on the actual airsoft scene there. They had some crap going down over "gun replicas that look like guns" few years ago.

But anyways - I'd be glad if I could help with your question even further, being an airsoft player myself! Though as mentioned earlier, I'm semi-retired now so some of my knowledge might not be up to date. And also I never was some pro player. I only have, like, 2 assault guns at home these days.
Dammit, I need to fund a job. I swear, when the money starts flowing again, off to imaginary battle we go! >:D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:09:31 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 05:38:27 am »

You probably know better than me, all I've got is a little $20 spring pistol because I'm too cheap to buy anything else, and I've never actually played airsoft. But the only people I know of who have airsoft guns have C02, though they don't play airsoft either, so there's that.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 05:45:32 am »

TBH, airsoft can be a real money-sink. So consider yourself lucky you are "cheap" enough you don't want to bother buying anything but that handgun. As I said in (edited) post above, spring DOES the job and really, some spring replicas, few friends and a place to be is all it takes to have some good time. :)

... Because yeah, once you start going through all those airsoft-related web-stores and just thinking what you might need (one day, someday), credit balance goes negative faster than you can yell "MEDIC!"  ;)
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 06:30:59 am »

Also, I think it's almost impossible airsoft would be illegal in Korea. I might be mistaken here, but I do think you have quite a lively scene there. Well, I know for sure Japan, Taiwan, Philippines and China, possibly Vietnam, have it, though there are bound to be some difference in local laws (for instance, Japan is very strict on pellet speed restrictions, where here in Europe we don't give a damn). Ok, China produces lot's of AEGs, but I'm also not sure on the actual airsoft scene there. They had some crap going down over "gun replicas that look like guns" few years ago.
I meant what you westerners call BB guns (=airsofts that shoot lead/steel bullets) are illegal in Korea because air-powered guns that shoot metal pellets are also illegal in Korea. We have strong laws against owning guns (basically, you can only even hold a gun legally if you're police or military). On the plus side, that means we have less paranoia of whether this guy I'm talking with is going to pull a gun on me... I digress xD

I was just wondering if it was possible to make an airsoft gun that kinda acts like an aircraft rotary cannon. Light enough to attach to a N-copter and with the capacity to shoot a couple hundred pellets before having to put more pellets in.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:29:00 am »

I was just wondering if it was possible to make an airsoft gun that kinda acts like an aircraft rotary cannon.

A Japanese company built a street legal robot/mech that fires two of those from it's arms. I'm not making it up. I saw a video of it driving down a street.

It's available for export.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:32:02 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:11:31 am »

I meant what you westerners call BB guns (=airsofts that shoot lead/steel bullets) are illegal in Korea because air-powered guns that shoot metal pellets are also illegal in Korea. We have strong laws against owning guns (basically, you can only even hold a gun legally if you're police or military). On the plus side, that means we have less paranoia of whether this guy I'm talking with is going to pull a gun on me... I digress xD

I was just wondering if it was possible to make an airsoft gun that kinda acts like an aircraft rotary cannon. Light enough to attach to a N-copter and with the capacity to shoot a couple hundred pellets before having to put more pellets in.
Yeah that's because BB guns =  air-powered guns that shoot metal pellets, at least to some people. But looks like some people are also associating bb guns = airsoft guns as I said above.
It's really just a language thing. Here, not being an English-speaking country, we never use term BB gun, we call airsoft guns airsoft guns and air-guns for those things shooting lead. Dunno which smart head decided to call airsoft pellets BB and thus started all this mess. Oh right, dem Japanese.  ;D
But anyways, a quick reading on various sites tells me that yes, airsoft is legal in Korea. Haven't found a specific Korean law, but my guess is you'd have more luck with that.

As for rotary cannon: yeah, there's Kuratas mentioned by Duuvian, but you can get them without spending fortune on this badass toy. Over the years, there were several different airsoft versions of a minigun, but right now I can only find one of the pricier ones: Behold, the 6-barreled beauty!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 08:14:11 am »

That $2500 monster is also 11.5 kilograms, way over the weight budget :p

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 08:26:11 am »

Yeah, well, given the size it's not so bad tbh. Heavy machine guns are usually just that, heavy. If you want something lighter, stick to assault rifles and snipers, especially non "full-metal" versions. One thing airsoft is better in from paintball is nearly all of the guns are actual replicas of real-life guns so you've got quite a selection to choose from. Not much choice in rotary cannon section, I'm afraid. I remember some cheaper chinese models that went for few hundred bucks back in my days, but can't find them right now. But hey, you can even get yourself M41A, so ditch the minigun dreams already. :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 08:29:16 am »

I was just wondering if it was possible to make an airsoft gun that kinda acts like an aircraft rotary cannon.

A Japanese company built a street legal robot/mech that fires two of those from it's arms. I'm not making it up. I saw a video of it driving down a street.

It's available for export.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KuPDQ8H3qM

completely legal yo

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 08:45:06 am »

I made my own airsoft gun. Well, not really sure if it counts as airsoft but it shoots airsoft bbs. Basically, a tank of compressed air on my back made of pvc pipe, a hose, valve, large resevoir of bbs, and the barrel(bullet tube) from a really cheap spring pistol. It looks and functions similar to a flamethrower with poor accuracy but extremely high rate of fire.

I use that in one hand with a shield in the other.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 10:09:16 am »

there's a shooting range outside town which i happened to pass by a while back, when people with airsoft rifles were fucking around shooting targets and generally airsofting

springs, particularly spring breach-loaders (apparently spring muzzleloaders exist?) are ridiculously overpowered

one of the local gamekeepers did a few mods on his storebought and managed to get a ~230 m/s muzzle velocity with a 40. had it calculated with a camera and everything, shit's insane

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 10:31:25 am »

o_o
I thought exactly what the title was talking about. Wahah.

Think Air Gun. Now think about the ammunition used and what makes a weapon illegal (ok, by that I mean the ammunition used by guns == illegal [wasn't there a FULL gun ban in S.Korea though o_o? As in, hence why Taekwondo martial arts was the...staple defense of many people including law enforcement? Err, heresay ._.]

I wonder why you're asking though.
:3

[Don't buy one unless:
> You're serious in using it.
> You've got buddies with similar interests for group use/play.
> You've got money to back the use/upkeep of using it :P
As much as I've heard from others who use it anyways...]

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 10:42:34 am »

See, that's what I'm talking about. First thing I though when LordSlowpoke was talking airsoft guns with 230 m/s is "That can't be right, that's like 755 fps", then I remember those were almost surely air-guns.

Oh LSP, why u troll me so? :3
Pages: [1] 2 3