Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43

Author Topic: Chronicles Of Aprilia: The Apocalyptic Era (D&D 3.5 Maptool) - Now recruiting  (Read 47376 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles Of Aprilia: The Apocalyptic Era (D&D 3.5 Maptool)
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2014, 09:02:45 pm »

ARGH

WRONG BUTTON
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2014, 12:00:38 am »

Question.

Are Dragonborn allowed or no? I haz idea but I would like to know first. And I'm not sure if the campaign would be the best call for it anyway.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2014, 12:05:36 am »

They are.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2014, 12:17:29 am »

...Mergh. I'm not sure what the power level of the campaign is, since one of our members is a Dragonfire Bard which can quickly lead to very high power levels, while another is a Dual-shWield fighter.

Which means I'm not sure if I should try for a Dragonborn Raptoran Swift Hunter, a Whispergnome Beguiler, a Human [anything], etc....Blagh. I kinda wanted to be a Scout to avoid competing with our Bard as party face and what not, but reading and deliberating, from what I can tell Beguilers make better scouts than Scouts do.

Any advice? >_<
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2014, 03:11:56 am »

Well, we need someone to patch us up, so why not go for a cleric type?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2014, 04:56:12 am »

The previous campaign was absurdly high-powered in terms of scope, since it dealt with a war that literally determined the existence of the multiverse. By the end of the campaign, the remaining party members could literally take on armies of goblins, some demons, and enemy wizards without significant backup. Over the course of the campaign, we had everything from Cerrad the hilariously overpowered swordsage to Darrek, the wizard who could hurl smallish objects pretty fast. We had a bearly intelligible bearbearian who could bear the weight of a thousand bears, we had a bard who could haggle the pants off a dragon, and we had a living flashlight who became a demigod of travel. I'm pretty confident that your character can work. Unless it's something that can make entire encounters irrelevant within 1-2 turns, depriving the rest of the party of a chance to do anything, you're going to be all right. I don't think there's much you can do at level 1 to do that without some serious cheese.

I kind of want to make a ninja, but straight ninja doesn't have much in the way of useful abilities. The one thing I know I won't be making is a divine-metamagic-abusing blaster cleric.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2014, 11:09:55 am »

Hoi, Barb.  You want to do something with the stars?  I found this.

Not sure how balanced it is, and the change to the gitp forums made it painful to read, but still.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2014, 04:06:09 pm »

There shouldn't be anything wrong with two faces, if that is all that is holding you back...

If you are only talking about level 1, then combat reflexes, cleave, or both, are pretty simple ways of cheesing most early encounters. At later levels cleave tends to drop off in usefulness. It is still an extra attack, stacks with pretty much everything, and doesn't reduce attack bonus, which makes it pretty exciting for something that you can get at first level, but the number of rounds it takes to kill something seems to rise, as does your attacks per round, so it goes from almost doubling your damage to adding maybe 5%-10%. *sighs* I should at least make a character, that is usually fun.
Oh my! Wu Jen gets "cannot bathe" as a class feature. Why is the world not infested with orcish Wu Jens?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2014, 04:38:41 pm »

Hmmm...

You know...

If we didn't already have a monk-esque character in the party, and were using some of the common houserules...

I would be very tempted to make my Gatling Shuriken Monk...

As it is, I think I just need to ask how much the campaign will take place in urban or otherwise similar environments, and how much in non-urban ones, as I'm still having trouble between Scout and Beguiler.

Bah, I should just ask our bard how they plan on playing.

Lucus! Where are you taking your build?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2014, 05:19:01 pm »

Hrmm, I believe that Sorcerer knows the necrotic spells otherwise for free if they take the feat, which is sort of cool, but the spells are sort of... Well, they have a lot of potential, but are not generally practical, especially if you are not a cleric with divine metamagic heighten and the earthen spell or whatever feat from races of stone which lets you dump insane necrotic cyst spells on targets. It still has some interesting tricks with some preparation, but I am thinking that if I take it, it will just be for flavour. Sort of, "I have a secret thing that is really scary and powerful, but I never use it" thing. I saw a suggestion of buying pets and setting up cyst bombs, which would be very potent, in its own way, but... Also, sort of goes along with the keeping secrets theme...
 Desert kobolds look like an upgrade, but meh, doesn't make much sense...
 Traits and flaws from the S.R.D.?
I have a sheet now. Still needs some stuff...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:25:34 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2014, 09:38:05 pm »

Lucus! Where are you taking your build?

Super stabby melee bard.  Snowflake wardance, cheesed out dragonfire inspiration.  The usual.

That said, working on a homebrew class now.  Admittedly it operates under basically the same principles, but it's got more unique flavor and more interesting/varied combat options at the cost of any spellcasting.  Also a bit buffy but not quite to bard levels.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2014, 09:50:30 pm »

...this might overload us on melee then. I do have a standard buff priest as a backup, though, if you guys want that.
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2014, 09:54:28 pm »

I'm planning to create an adaptation of the Complete Adventurer ninja that is both (somewhat) more powerful and has different mysticism than the ki ghostwalking and associated tricks. I'll see if I can get it in today, but it will be mildly effective at range. (Via shurikens and possibly the hilarious Ring the Gold Bell feat.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2014, 10:02:39 pm »

I'm planning to create an adaptation of the Complete Adventurer ninja that is both (somewhat) more powerful and has different mysticism than the ki ghostwalking and associated tricks. I'll see if I can get it in today, but it will be mildly effective at range. (Via shurikens and possibly the hilarious Ring the Gold Bell feat.)

The what the what feat now?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2014, 11:13:26 pm »

Source: DR 319

Name: Ring the Gold Bell

Prerequisites: Wisdom 13, Base Attack Bonus +5, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus (unarmed strike)

Benefit: You may inflict Unarmed Strike damage, plus effects such as Stunning Fist that are inflicted along with your Unarmed Strike, as a ranged Attack with a maximum range of 5’ + 5’ per Wisdom modifier. Usable (1 + Wisdom modifier) times per day.

The feat prerequisites are a bit high to actually consider taking the feat vanilla-style, even if Shonus allows the source, but I might work it in as a class feature. Not sure yet. The mechanics of the attack, flavor-wise, is that you punch the air so hard that a ripple of wind blasts forth and strikes your enemies (or a set of golden chimes) at range.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:15:14 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43