Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Another game of Vanigo's Empire Builder (Now run by Rolepgeek)  (Read 10305 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Another game of Vanigo's Empire Builder (Turn 6) (Barbarians!)
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2014, 07:44:14 pm »

Zanz is away from the forum right now.

I've been able to get some internet access, but it is sporadic from having to do things around my grandparent's house.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2014, 01:49:54 pm »

I was thinking of doing something similar, but yours looks so much better than mine. I'll probably play around with it.

Also, you're using GameRules01, whereas I think GameRules02 is the latest. As far as I can tell though, you can just change it in the XML without breaking it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2014, 01:56:51 pm »

Thanks for letting me know about the rules.

Here's the latest version with all the terrain added.

I just need to add resources and then the map is complete and then it's just a matter of deciding on the time period and starting factions.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2014, 01:59:50 pm »

Looks pretty good. I would say that Ireland needs some more forests. Northern Ireland might want a extra mountain or two. Similarly, south-east England should probably have a few more mountains. Note that those changes would be for game balance reasons, not realism.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2014, 02:20:00 pm »

What I'm going to do is add iron and existing mines in areas that actually had them in Britain but weren't mountains, like the Forest of Dean. See for instance:

Spoiler: Warning, big image (click to show/hide)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2014, 04:31:16 pm »

As long as there's some iron there, I'd love to start as Ireland, with all those plains. Though, yeah, no forests might be upsetting...

Also, I thought Wales had more of a valley in it with plains and such...it just seems like London is gonna be pretty powerful to start off with due to food advantage.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2014, 04:38:41 pm »

If you have based it off of the real world version of Britain, dibs on Wales.  If you've taken some liberties, still dibs on Wales.  Things are clearing up here rather quickly (in that my Grandmother had gone up there as a precaution for having a mild difficulty breathing.  They have it cleared up, but are keeping her just a couple days for observation.).
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2014, 09:50:55 am »

I was thinking of setting it around 860, with three or four factions of Angles, Saxons and Jutes, (probably, Northumberland, Wessex and Mercia, possible a Jutish Kent+Isle of Wight) with someone playing the Picts, someone playing the Irish and someone the Welsh (and Cornish?) Britons.

Here are some maps round about this period:
Spoiler: By ethnicity (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Heptarchy (click to show/hide)

As long as there's some iron there, I'd love to start as Ireland, with all those plains. Though, yeah, no forests might be upsetting...

Also, I thought Wales had more of a valley in it with plains and such...it just seems like London is gonna be pretty powerful to start off with due to food advantage.
The factions will be kind of balanced with different starting territory sizes. Wales is predominantly hilly, and as reflected in the game, food can still be grown amidst these hills. I'll have a look at the resources each player is getting to start with, and may adjust the terrain slightly. Ireland is large, filled with plains and uncontested in the beginning, but unlike most of the other places, it's completely ununified (i.e. you'd have to take empty territory in the beginnning rather than starting with a complete country) and there's little in the way of forest (though I might add a few more tiles). Each territory will get one iron and one horse source.

If you have based it off of the real world version of Britain, dibs on Wales.  If you've taken some liberties, still dibs on Wales.  Things are clearing up here rather quickly (in that my Grandmother had gone up there as a precaution for having a mild difficulty breathing.  They have it cleared up, but are keeping her just a couple days for observation.).
Cool, Wales can be yours. I've tried to be as faithful as possible to real world geography, and in doing so has given me an appreciation of how the Britons and Picts survived so long in the edges of the country so long after the Anglo-Saxon invasion, aided by the remoteness and hilliness of the land they'd been forced out to. I'm glad your Grandmother's feeling better!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2014, 01:57:53 pm »

Since people are calling dibs, I might as well call dibs on Ireland.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2014, 02:01:53 pm »

Since people are calling dibs, I might as well call dibs on Ireland.
Oi! I already called that!

Meh. Saxons work too, I suppose. I'll have to take another look at the game map to be sure.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2014, 05:18:08 pm »

Here's the latest version of the map with territories and resources.

(Interface)

Like in real life, Mercia is mondo-powerful and the native Britons don't have any settlements of any significance.

These are the wincons I'm thinking of:

Irish Kingdom: Take over the whole of Ireland
Mercia: Unify all the Anglo-Saxon nations (Northumbria, Wessex and take the empty land in East Anglia)
Wessex: Hold Winchester until the Danes come
Wales: Survive until the Danes come
Pictland: Wipe out the Angles and Saxons
Northumberland: Take Scotland from the Picts

The idea being that the Danes would arrive after fifty turns setting a hard deadline for the wincons. All wincons trigger at the end of the game, with multiple winners possible.

There's probably huge imbalances in difficulty here, so suggestions very much welcome. As labour will be low to begin with, I was thinking of giving people a bunch of troops at the beginning of the game, representing their existing campaigns. I want to make playing Ireland a bit more interesting as well: perhaps giving Northumbria a ship to begin with so they can contest Ireland early?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2014, 06:08:30 pm »

There's probably huge imbalances in difficulty here, so suggestions very much welcome. As labour will be low to begin with, I was thinking of giving people a bunch of troops at the beginning of the game, representing their existing campaigns. I want to make playing Ireland a bit more interesting as well: perhaps giving Northumbria a ship to begin with so they can contest Ireland early?

I would like to see the food production of Wales bumped up a bit.  The average is roughly once every other turn to get one population, while other nations are getting 1, sometimes 2 population each turn (not including Ireland, since it is only 1 territory.  Maybe give some ocean tiles with existing fishing villages and place some bonus food in the hills?  Also, giving Wales and Pictland at least 1 size 2 city and a bit of free pop for all nations (maybe 5?) and a little (maybe 8?) existing labor.  Passing out a few soldiers at the start (maybe 3?) and making a couple small navys (1 barge per 10 population?)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2014, 07:20:13 pm »

I would say another part of that should be 'survive'.

However, I would also say someone's win condition should be something involving an actual contest with ireland. Otherwise there's pretty much no reason for anyone to bother trying to fuck with them, except maybe grabbing the iron. Maybe Wales and Ireland should fight? No one currently has any reason to fuck with them.

I vote no to giving 5(Jeezus that's a lot) free pop to all nations, and I vote no to giving them free labor. Everyone(except Ireland, maybe) should start with at least a pop 2 city. I vote no to starting with soldiers, as well.

Also, as it is, it seems like Wessex is the most powerful, with two cities...but ah well.

I'd like to play as Ireland or Mercia.

EDIT: Would anyone be interested in a similar game based on a different real-world geographical area? Like Japan?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:21:44 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2014, 07:29:12 pm »

EDIT: Would anyone be interested in a similar game based on a different real-world geographical area? Like Japan?

Here's a thought of a setting: Westeros, Essos, and Sothoryos.

Though if you are going to stick with real world, how about Europe?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2014, 07:53:24 pm »

I have never read or watched Game of Thrones, so I doubt I could do that.

I'd really rather not do Europe as these games are always based on European stuff anyway, and it's just so common it gets old.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10