Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1032476 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10905 on: December 05, 2018, 01:57:08 am »

In terms of how they work on the battlefield, what's the difference between a soul grinder and a greater daemon? As far as I can tell it's the same but the soul grinder gets a gun on top of whatever they had as a GD.

In previous editions Soul Grinders functioned as a vehicle, while a Greater Demon was a monstrous creature.  SGs were also considered to be chaos undivided, not belonging to any one chaos god.  Maybe they changed that too.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10906 on: December 05, 2018, 02:15:55 am »

What does "daemonifuge" mean? It's both the name of a book and the section in Enemies Beyond that covers equipment and gear and such.

From Google:

"word-forming element meaning "that which drives away or out," from Modern Latin -fugus , with sense from Latin fugare "to put to flight," but form from Latin fugere "to flee." -fuge in Medicine."

Drives out Daemons.

So you can understand why it's the title of an equipment section. Also the title of his badass bitch: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Ephrael_Stern

Which again makes sense.

Seriously, if you're ever confused about a 40k term....just slice up the word, translate a section from Latin and you'll get the gist of it. Unless it's purposefully shit Latin, which they do all the time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10907 on: December 05, 2018, 02:17:14 am »

What does "daemonifuge" mean? It's both the name of a book and the section in Enemies Beyond that covers equipment and gear and such.

What does daemonifuge mean? It's both Ephrael Stern's title and the name of the section in DH2E: Enemies Beyond covering wargear.

I dont know why its the name of the wargear section, but if I remember correctly the demonifuge was a horrifying amalgation of hideously malformed Sister prisoners kept alive by chaos powers that empowered Ephrael "Where are you hiding the protein" Stern, enabling her to escape her chaos captors

etymololigically (fuck), its probbably a simple derivation of "demon" and "centrifuge"

Amusing as that image is (the daemon centrifuge, not the amalgamation), it's probably got more to do with -fuge being from the Latin fugāre, meaning to drive away, expel, or run off.

"Thing for expelling daemons" makes sense for a wargear chapter, I think.

How many times do you need to ask this question?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10908 on: December 05, 2018, 03:04:45 am »

I forgot both the answer and that I asked the question.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10909 on: December 05, 2018, 03:18:47 am »

So at least once more then
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10910 on: December 05, 2018, 04:16:37 am »

All I did was forget something. Chastisement for that is uncalled for. Control your emotions, adults.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10911 on: December 05, 2018, 06:27:17 am »

Janus
I mean, I liked the idea that since they're twins, and the fate of Galaxy was pretty much openly presented to them and they had to make a choice, each would make a different one. Would bring the "team-killing Horus Fuckup" to another level, and bring credibility to the idea that Emperor continued existence (which I also liked to blame on regular badass Guardsman Ollanius showing up, but GW made me hate that character as well) that is however without ability to do much was the third option that was not predicted, further establishing uncertainty, that despite the Grim Darkness of "there are no heroes, nothing can change the world" a right man in the wrong place can make all the difference, and future of 40K can go either way, since things suddenly were not just as planned.

Reading the allies matrix it just struck me that the Sisters of Battle despise all xenos & chaos factions (that's a given) and consider Imperial Guard units to be battle brothers (that's adorable), and they consider all space marines and grey knights untrustworthy allies of convenience or worse (that's wise. But also surprising).
Regular badass unite.
I also find it hilarious that the Emps made space marines so humanity would have these power armoured supersoldiers, but because they were reliant on humanity for continued existence they wouldn't rebel. Then they do the worst rebellion the Imperium had ever experienced and ruin everything for the next 10,000 years.
The SOB meanwhile are just regular humans in power armour. Not only do they do the same job without augmentation as the space marines, but they also didn't instantly become team killing fucktards despite having none of the biological limitations / dependencies of space marines.
Space marines suck, the Emperor should have just made SOB legions from the start
The problem is Space Marines served as spearhead for newborn Imperium, and met a lot of really crazy shit along the way. Would Sororitas have their own Heresy is really an open question, and there is the point that perceived Sisters resistance to Chaos comes from sexual deprivation and a lot of topless images of Emperor when he still had flesh on him (though the latter part is not necessary), in other words, faith. Emperor is not a fan of that sort of thing.

Oh, the Sisters of Battle would have done a fine job conquering and even ruling the Imperium, but that was not what the Emperor wanted. Building the Imperium was what the little people did with the rubble left behind from his galaxy-spanning genocide spree, because he was a bloodthirsty monster. Whether or not he actually was Alexander the Great, he certainly had the ego to see himself as an Alexander-like figure and therefore to view Alexander's troops' refusal to conquer India, however apocryphal, as a cautionary tale: men would eventually grow weary of war.
You know, I don't think you are wrong with bloodthirsty monster as much as with the entirety of your argument. Emperor ain't human. He's an artificially created being, and he does thirst for blood of xenos for pretty obvious reasons.
Space Marines are not men. They have their humanity cut out to make room for more organs, and the Primarchs are doubly far removed. They do not grow too old to fight, and have no desire to do anything else -- reinforced, in extremis, by all those biological dependencies. Nor are they even designed to do the calmer parts of war. Logistics is what serfs are for.
That's kind of wrong. Marines do get older, though it's nearly impossible to see one really old, due to occupational hazards, and some of them do really well in terms of peace stuff (see, Ultrasmurfs, but to be fair, they're amazing at everything, so that shouldn't come as a surprise, eh?).
Plan A was to purify the galaxy at the head of a band of superhuman weapons who'd laud his victories, share in his bloodshed and regard him as their literal father to be adulated even for genocide.
Utterly wrong.
Plan B was to replace those original twenty bros with smaller, less superhuman mini-bros, but to have lots and lots of them to cheer him on to make up for it. Plan B.2 involved the human-built Webway, and I am still not entirely convinced that its collapse and the subsequent never-ending battle on Terra was entirely an accident.
Wrong even more. Emperor couldn't give less of a shit about being lauded, liked, loved, cheered. This is actually a major fucking point for why Heresy happened, and more recently, Guillman rude awakening that Emperor was pretending to be nice all along. He doesn't even regard Marines (And "twenty bros" even less, since they were never regular humans to begin with) as full human beings, but tools he needed to create the spread and protect humanity across the stars. Big E has certainly many flaws, but nearly all of them stem not from being bloodthirsty for the sake of it, but from what is essentially his hardcoded purpose of protecting humanity. If the protection requires him to go on a Galaxy wide crusade to unite humanity once more, and wipe out the threats, so be it, but he will need some help.

No way dude, psykers are the most susceptible- that's why librarians have to wear the hoods. As you said above, Grey Knights owe their resistance to the psychic bond. Every member of the squad is being continually monitored by every other member... Much like some kind of gestalt GSC hive mind. I mean, they can also merge themselves in order to cast spells, something no other humans can seemingly do.
You don't need to be a hive mind to monitor every other member if you're a psyker. That's generally what psykers do, look into other people's heads. Also, what you said about no other humans doing it is extremely fucking dumb, and casting together is prevalent, if not on battlefield, Astropaths are probably one of (if not THE) most common forms of Psykers across the Imperium, and they constantly do Astropathic Choirs. Or are you telling me Astropaths are fucking hive mind too?
If you take it to the tabletop, it becomes even more glaring. The difference between an imperial guardsman and a genestealer neophyte guardsman? a floating +1 Leadership.
The difference between a Space Marine and a Grey Knight? the same +1 Leadership.
Stop using tabletop as arguments for lore. It doesn't work, it never did, and never will. Tabletop is so vague that you never know why exactly a thing has this number ascribed to it, but not the other, and this argument essentially equates that EVERYTHING with +1 leadership over the standard version is a hive mind.

ALSO GAME WHEN RELASE THE GAME AAAA GIVE ME IT GIVE ME IT GIVE ME THE GAME AAAAA IT STILL NOT OUT
SEEMS LIKE STILL 6 HOURS AHHHHH HELP ME
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:46:39 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10912 on: December 05, 2018, 08:21:13 am »

I just read the last three pages on this thread, boy are we nerds...

As for point in favor of real life, currently there are pieces of mobile artillery that outrange the basilisk and the eatth shaker by many kilometers. Dunno about the weight of the round however.

FAKE EDIT:

According to the wiki:
"The Basilisk's main weapon is an Earthshaker Cannon, a 132 millimetre gun that is capable of firing its shells over 15 kilometres at a velocity of 814 metres-per-second, and is fully capable of destroying enemy tanks and fortified structures with a direct hit."

"The Earthshaker is a 132 millimetre calibre gun, capable of firing a 38 kilogram shell over 15 kilometres at a velocity of 814 miles per hour."

In contrast real life mobile artillery can have ranges that are double that.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10913 on: December 05, 2018, 08:27:28 am »

40kg seems like a big boy, but you might be onto something.
Especially considering one of guilly’s boots is apparently a ton.

Also I tried making a quote ladder and then realized I was on my phone so

-snip-
NUH UH!

That’ll have to do me for now.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:29:20 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10914 on: December 05, 2018, 11:43:26 am »

According to the wiki:
"The Basilisk's main weapon is an Earthshaker Cannon, a 132 millimetre gun that is capable of firing its shells over 15 kilometres at a velocity of 814 metres-per-second, and is fully capable of destroying enemy tanks and fortified structures with a direct hit."

"The Earthshaker is a 132 millimetre calibre gun, capable of firing a 38 kilogram shell over 15 kilometres at a velocity of 814 miles per hour."

In contrast real life mobile artillery can have ranges that are double that.
Yes, and no. For it's scale Earthshaker is reasonable (there are cannons that fire further, faster, heavier shells, but they're usually a bit different in their size and role) as long as it's firing conventional projectiles. There is a bit of a limit when it comes to how amazing a cannon can be, so the actual "amazigness" comes from the projectiles. A lot of the really long range projectiles use base bleed, or heck, actual rocket boosting, but those projectiles also often come with various guidance systems and are specialized towards certain tasks. This does beg a question why Imperium doesn't use them, but I guess this is the same thing as usual, "holy fuck we forgot how to do a thing", which brings me to another point, which is...

40kg seems like a big boy, but you might be onto something.
Especially considering one of guilly’s boots is apparently a ton.
A lot of people complain about WH40k, and to be honest, they do actually have a point. A lot of things aren't as amazing as you'd think, considering Warhammer is commonly known as "bigger, better, stronger" universe, but that's a very naive approach to it. One of core quirks of Imperium it's complete imbalance in terms of technology, due to how much of it was lost over the years. Leman Russ is a goddamn glorified agricultural tractor that is by design extremely simple to produce because it was supposed to supply early colonies, and even during Great Crusade it was way more advanced than it is in "current 40K", using literal Martian Death Rays as guns, and having powerplants that made it three times as fast as it's currently. Imperium exists in this weird state where they're simultaneously incredibly advanced, on par with modern times, or literally backwards, which is why a lot of people take the least advanced ones and use it as some weird form of proof that WH40k stuff would be shit. Which I mean, sure, maybe. The thing is even if Imperium encountered a planet with such advanced technology as ours, artillery guns firing over 50 kilometers and such, they'd win anyway, because at worst they can just cover it with guardsmen and make it march around the sun on patrol.
NUH UH!
hurr, no u, durr

EDIT:

Of happenings
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:03:58 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10915 on: December 05, 2018, 12:09:16 pm »

Yeah a fight between modern earth even unified, against the Imperium, would end up sorta like this:

Munitorum aide: "Sir, they possess somewhat superior equipped human infantry and mechanized support."
Lord General: "Order up another (arbitrarily high number) regiments and contact the Soul-Blood-Skull Rip-and-Tearers."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10916 on: December 05, 2018, 12:14:47 pm »

Then we steal all their actually advanced stuff, reverse engineer it all, upgrade all our arsenal with specifically the stuff that imperial tech is actually good, and nuke the fuck out of the imperial reinforcements. Because HFY.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10917 on: December 05, 2018, 12:25:02 pm »

Then we steal all their actually advanced stuff, reverse engineer it all, upgrade all our arsenal with specifically the stuff that imperial tech is actually good, and nuke the fuck out of the imperial reinforcements. Because HFY.

I'm now imagining US Marines and UK SAS in powered armor with bolters.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10918 on: December 05, 2018, 12:28:07 pm »

40K vs. X-Com.
Who would win: the emperor's finest, a walking wall of ceramite bristling with tank-melting weaponry, heavily augmented and with 200 years of combat experience, OR one squaddie with a blaster bomb.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10919 on: December 05, 2018, 12:36:33 pm »

I don't think infantry would be superior equipped per-se. Better tactics, better usage of available assets, said assets being better on paper. Artillery, especially self-propelled one, tanks might have vastly better mobility and protection (if not in terms of sheer RHA equivalent, in terms of active protection such as ERA and APS systems), so on, but Imperial Guard would have more of them. Still, you can argue  a lot about lasguns and armour, they still are somewhat better than standard issue of modern day armies, especially in case of global war where they just conscript everyone.

You are still constricted by being able to access only one planet, while Imperium has way higher industrial capabilities. Nuking doesn't really work, because then you're Exterminatusing yourself for them. At the end of day, Imperium is prepared for it, while current day Earth isn't. HFY, sure, but the problem here lies in the fact you're trying to out-HFY The HFY Faction.

I'm now imagining US Marines and UK SAS in powered armor with bolters.
Notably anything related to Space Marines would be an immense problem. Power armour, sure, maybe, but unless the war takes dozens of years, you aren't really getting your own Space Marines, just dudes in heavy, unwieldy armour that Imperium is pretty much conditioned to deal with. Bolters would be somewhat useful, I guess, but it's not like they're some sort of breakthrough technology, they're just really damn big, and the infantry variants aren't that amazing.

40K vs. X-Com.
Who would win: the emperor's finest, a walking wall of ceramite bristling with tank-melting weaponry, heavily augmented and with 200 years of combat experience, OR one squaddie with a blaster bomb.
I believe that's called Chaos Gate and is a very fine game.
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 824