Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1032512 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: A comparative biology of Beastmen.
« Reply #10290 on: May 03, 2018, 03:35:56 pm »

It's a pretty common trope in sci-fi writing to rename common things to sound more future-y or exotic. Was even listed in the Turkey City Lexicon, a big forum post on the old BL forums about over-used tropes to try and avoid.

40k does this a lot with common animal species.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10291 on: May 03, 2018, 03:52:32 pm »

Everything is grox
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: May 03, 2018, 04:30:48 pm »

The excuse with the animals species is that most aren't actually the species anyway. Dogs and horses seem to be the only animals left from earth, everything else is various flavours of non-sapient alien animal like the Grox or Gloomhaunts.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10293 on: May 03, 2018, 06:35:49 pm »

Seen a few amphibians too. But 40k likes to focus on the predators for the most part. Personally it gets me deeper into a 40k work when the author makes the effort to flush out their worlds with xenoforms that aren't just ravenous, fanged and spiked beasties. But that's generally the exception rather than the rule.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10294 on: May 03, 2018, 06:42:40 pm »

What are lighters called in 40k? (I'm talking about the small item you use to light cigarettes and stuff.) What about matches?
Archaeotech from the 21st milennium

It's a pretty common trope in sci-fi writing to rename common things to sound more future-y or exotic. Was even listed in the Turkey City Lexicon, a big forum post on the old BL forums about over-used tropes to try and avoid.

40k does this a lot with common animal species.
How to 40k:

1. Take ancient thing
2. Put it in future thing
3. Make it gothic

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You should now have a 40k

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: May 03, 2018, 07:25:01 pm »

Needs more skulls.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10296 on: May 03, 2018, 08:07:47 pm »

Needs more skulls.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10297 on: May 03, 2018, 08:21:06 pm »

You are too good to us.  I shared the first image to my friend group as soon as I saw it, heh.

Oh bizarrely, and technically off topic, I got a Warhammer sourcebook as a not-birthday-gift from my mom.  She saw it in a thrift store and thought it was a comic book.
It's wood elves!  I know little about WH Fantasy, but I'm all about wood elves.  It's weird, it looks and feels pristine, but it's copyright 1996.  It's definitely more recent than that.  I searched by ISBN (1872372457) and it's not the first result, it's this one.

Not that it matters much, I'm not ready to buy miniatures or anything right now.  But it's thrilling to hold an actual legit Warhammer sourcebook!  And every page is full of so much lore, and geeky crunch.  I already watch listen to WH40K battle reports sometimes, this has me interested in seeing some Fantasy battles.

Edit:  I have a fond memory of, sometime in the early 2000's I'm pretty sure, finding a WHF fan page which had a lot of pictures of wood elf minis.  It lauded a strategy of fielding enormous amounts of archers and relying on pure massed fire to take down the enemy before it could reach melee.  "All archer army" or somesuch.

Massed archers was how I always played Age of Empires 1, heh.  And I've always loved wood elves.  I loved that fan page.

Edit2:  Oh gosh I wonder why I love tau enough to keep them in my personal text hmmmm
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:26:22 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: May 03, 2018, 09:16:20 pm »

Finished my third Mousillon themed marine, the medic. Guy slightly references Isabella von Carstein from Warhammer Fantasy, her gimmick was having a magic chalice of blood that healed vampire units.

Of the three I've done the sorcerer is my favorite, but I think this guy beats the banner carrier for second pretty handily.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10299 on: May 03, 2018, 09:23:27 pm »

What are lighters called in 40k? (I'm talking about the small item you use to light cigarettes and stuff.) What about matches?
Laspistols, but they might take a second or two.

Do cigars have a higher armor save than cigarettes?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: May 03, 2018, 11:14:26 pm »

Needs more skulls.

Now that is a 40k.

Laspistols, but they might take a second or two.

Do cigars have a higher armor save than cigarettes?

Yes but they're also +1 to hit for being a large target.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: May 04, 2018, 05:00:01 pm »

Seen a few amphibians too. But 40k likes to focus on the predators for the most part. Personally it gets me deeper into a 40k work when the author makes the effort to flush out their worlds with xenoforms that aren't just ravenous, fanged and spiked beasties. But that's generally the exception rather than the rule.
It makes more sense too.  Predators only exist in ecosystems already advanced enough to support them.  In a barely livable hell-planet the life isn't going to evolve to fight each other, its going to evolve to survive the environment.  And probably be really small and boring too.  Less Rancor, more waterbear.

The Krogan homeworld from Mass Effect pretty much takes the cake on this.  "Survival on our world is difficult because of scarce resources and a hostile environment.  That's why everything evolved with redundant organs and there's no herbivores."  Sure fam, sure.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: May 04, 2018, 10:58:31 pm »

And that's what I love about good sci-fi writing. Creating an interesting, different world and then asking "how did life have to evolve to survive here?" That's what really hooks me, when an author thinks to that depth, even if it's just to set up a couple sentence descriptions to breathe some life in to their world.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: May 05, 2018, 01:42:46 am »

What does daemonifuge mean? It's both Ephrael Stern's title and the name of the section in DH2E: Enemies Beyond covering wargear.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: May 05, 2018, 02:04:44 am »

If you're asking what the word literally means, it's 40k and that's kind of a crap shoot. But if I apply the principles of fake latin, and take the latter half of the word, ifuge, and chop off the I, you're left with Fuge. Which Google Translate tells me means 'Flee'. So Daemon....flee? Seems like it can work.
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 824