Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023402 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

None of those sound bad.  "Primarch" isn't a real word, "patriarch" is accurate but GWS changes everything up.  "Warmaster" isn't English either, though it feels natural.  We do combine words a lot, if they sound good.

"Warp" works too!  It pretty much means deformation of wood in English, too.  Deformation of wood, twisting of space-time, same idea.

Sorry if this came off condescending, those translations just sound fine to me as a native English speaker.  I could be missing bits of nuance.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Wait, if Primarch becomes Patriarch, what are Genestealer Patriarchs called?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

Spoiler: This seems topical (click to show/hide)
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Xenarch? Ethnarch? Heresiarch (actual word, I promise)?

I like these words. Something about "Arch" as either a prefix or a stem (today I learned that the word for prefixes and suffixes is "Affix") is just really cool.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Yeah, just as a suffix it commands respect and denotes authority...
I like Xenarch a lot.  Was that in...  Yeah!  It was in Starscape!
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

None of those sound bad.  "Primarch" isn't a real word, "patriarch" is accurate but GWS changes everything up.  "Warmaster" isn't English either, though it feels natural.  We do combine words a lot, if they sound good.
It's not bad, but I honestly hate it because... Emperor is "Patre", not Primarches. There was older version called Prymarcha, which, at first, sound like bastardized English (and really is), but the word "Prym" is quite old Polish for "Glorious Example" or something. Hard to explain, you can "wieść prym" which basically means "be best at".

"Warp" works too!  It pretty much means deformation of wood in English, too.  Deformation of wood, twisting of space-time, same idea.
Yeah, I guess. I just never... felt the word really, it's somehow... weird. You could actually argue that it's good, it gives me very much Chaotic vibes, especially Nurgle.
For reference, Corpus diease from Morrowind was also translated similarly, as Spaczenie.

Sorry if this came off condescending, those translations just sound fine to me as a native English speaker.  I could be missing bits of nuance.
I suppose. I actually don't really like Polish translations of anything Western (be it English or German or whatever, funilly enough Russian, other Slavic languages and to some extent even far Eastern languages seem to hold up fine for me) really - they just don't... fit for me. It doesn't sound right to me, but on the other hand I would rather slide down on my bare ass from giant cheese grater straight into a pool of rectified spirit than read a Polish book translated to English. You lose insane amounts of flavour this way.

Patriarches.

воитель, I belive, is also the Russian version of Marvels War Machine nickname. I belive it is connected with Polish "wojownik" as the pronounciation seems to be Russian version of that word, which... yeah, means "warrior". Орден is a German loanword that can and totally will cause connection to the Teutonic/Livonian Knights which both Russians and Poles and everyone who ever lived near them in general had trouble with. I belive it means the same thing as Chapter (as in, bunch of monks), really, just like "Zakon" we use in Polish.

Yeah, we get that too. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's so clear it's bastardized English version that it hurts.
Side note - Vulcan in Polish is Wulkan, which means Volcano 100% literally. I mean, it's not like that's not the case in English, but Wulkan doing something atop a wulkan is quite hilarious.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

It's not bad, but I honestly hate it because... Emperor is "Patre", not Primarches. There was older version called Prymarcha, which, at first, sound like bastardized English (and really is), but the word "Prym" is quite old Polish for "Glorious Example" or something. Hard to explain, you can "wieść prym" which basically means "be best at".
Pri is just Latin for first, of course.  Primarch/Prymarcha sounds more latin than English :P
I'm sure that's where "Prym" comes from too.
Even when we don't formally study Latin, we subconsciously pick up certain Latin prefixes and suffixes because they're so common in our words...  Pri is one.
Yeah, I guess. I just never... felt the word really, it's somehow... weird. You could actually argue that it's good, it gives me very much Chaotic vibes, especially Nurgle.
For reference, Corpus diease from Morrowind was also translated similarly, as Spaczenie.
"Warp" is a strange word in English.  I think we usually learn it from context.  "The bridge warped under the strong winds" or such.  We don't actually use it much, but we understand it when we hear it.  I think that lends a supernatural quality to it.
I suppose. I actually don't really like Polish translations of anything Western (be it English or German or whatever, funilly enough Russian, other Slavic languages and to some extent even far Eastern languages seem to hold up fine for me) really - they just don't... fit for me.
Heh, I think it's often the opposite here.  At least with the people I hang out with.  Exoticness is interesting for its own sake.  Something that's almost right, but slightly wrong, draws us in.

Even if it's the worst animes :P
She/they

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Heh, I think it's often the opposite here.  At least with the people I hang out with.  Exoticness is interesting for its own sake.  Something that's almost right, but slightly wrong, draws us in.

Even if it's the worst animes :P
...no?
Crappy Polish translations are not really exotic, at least not for Poles. It's English and other languages that could be decsribed as exotic (I mean, English has not been exotic here for two hundred years but you catch my drift), while most translations just seem... half-assed at best or akward at worst. That's why I usually want to read the source in the original language and if that fails I usually default to English.
As I said, it's better than English translations of (fucking unique) Polish sci-fi/fantasy. Those are just hilariously helpless.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

I meant things that are translated into our language imperfectly.  Like most manga and anime.  They're mostly English, but there's something "off" about them.
She/they

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I've always seen Primarch as....

Primacy + "arch".

Consider the following:

Quote from: Dictionary.com
a combining form that represents the outcome of archi- in words borrowed through Latin from Greek in the Old English period; it subsequently became a productive form added to nouns of any origin, which thus denote individuals or institutions directing or having authority over others of their class ( archbishop; archdiocese; archpriest)....

To note, I'm not a big fan of Dictionary.com but it seems to do the job here.

Anyways, I think back to like Hexen and the "Heresiarch", which was a priest-like monster that was usually a boss or mini boss of the earlier levels. Basically Arch-Heretic.

In this case, Primarch would be the primary Human with authority over all humanity. [insert obligatory disclaimer about how trying to apply logic to GWS word choices leads to irrelevancy and/or madness.]

...no?

I've heard some of the same things from Danes and Germans about translated English works. Maybe they're languages are better able to articulate the flavor of English prose better than Polish. But generally I've heard that they prefer reading English works in English, and their own languages' works in their own language. Either or tends to lose a little, or a lot, in translation.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:15:54 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

воитель, I belive, is also the Russian version of Marvels War Machine nickname. I belive it is connected with Polish "wojownik" as the pronounciation seems to be Russian version of that word, which... yeah, means "warrior". Орден is a German loanword that can and totally will cause connection to the Teutonic/Livonian Knights which both Russians and Poles and everyone who ever lived near them in general had trouble with. I belive it means the same thing as Chapter (as in, bunch of monks), really, just like "Zakon" we use in Polish.
I think enough time has passed that it would only cause trouble for really weird people. And the association with scary religious guys in massive suits of armor is kinda apt. Besides, as Orthodox tradition lacks monastic orders (there's monks, but they don't form orders in the Western sense), it was probably the closest translation anyway.
The воитель/wojownik thing is a little more complex - Russian also has the -nik suffix for affiliation|occupation names, but it's not used in this case. I don't think Polish has the -tel' suffix, which is more of a description of your actions, I guess. So it's like the difference between "warrior" and "war-wager". Just "warrior" would be voin.
And we also have the volcano thing, though I've never heard people lol at it that much.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

I didin't say it would cause trouble, eh. If anything it's good that it could be associated with Real World Black Templars, eh.
We do have the -tel suffix. Easiest example - "представи́тель", which I belive is pronounced "predstavitel" is "przedstawiciel" in Polish. There are more words like this, albeit I don't think -ciel has been ever used in conjunction with "wojować".

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

I probably should be glad there are no translation of 40k stuff to portuguese, despite that meaning I don't have access to the books and such. All those fake latin names wouldn't sound as nice when whomever says it is speaking in a language based off of actual latin. A few things would translate well, though, such as primarch (which, probably "translated" as primarca, would sound like an actual word (despite not being one)).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Let's keep in mind that Czechs ask about leaves in asses when they check bus tickets. Or that they do love to children. Or when they have an idea they have an attack.
The history of Slavic languages is so diverse and so troubled that it's no fucking suprise they're so weird to each other.
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 824