Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023621 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #5355 on: August 11, 2016, 04:09:37 pm »

Its left intetionally foggy as to what exactly the vitae wombs are and how they work across different writing about krieg and etc.
As for servitors, only a part of them are cloned. The bodies of criminals often get recycled in a number of ways, with servitors being one of the most productive ones. The mechanicus also doesn't exactly shy away from using regular citizens on forgeworlds to make servitors if they commit enough irregularities, like not meeting quota :v

Some actualy volunteer to become stuff like skitarii, though.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: August 11, 2016, 04:17:30 pm »

Skitarii are still somewhat human though, being fundamentally the same in outlook to the tech priests themselves, though of a more slavish mentality and able to have their will overwritten during combat operations by their handlers. Being one is a step up for a forge menial.

Being a servitor on the other hand is a punishment reserved for criminals, those who fail in their duties to the machine cult and vat grown mindless hulks of meat.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: August 11, 2016, 04:20:39 pm »

That's 'cos skitarii are only MOSTLY hardwired to follow commands.
Edit: Ninja

I thought vitae womb was a special little pill which ramped up gestation time.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: August 11, 2016, 04:52:21 pm »

What I mean is that the attitude is one that real humans, which the Kreigers are if only just, should not be made through mass cloning. It's a stigma.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: August 11, 2016, 04:54:31 pm »

It's never been described beyond the name.

4chan assume it to be a procedure that turns Krieg women into giant brood queens ala Dune because 40k draws other inspirations from the same setting and it's grimdark. Possible, but I don't think this would be a sensible step for the Imperium to take given other knowledge we have about it.

Others assume it's just generic cloning tech, but due to the way cloning usually works in setting this seems unlikely to me.

I and my brother, and presumably some others I've never met, believe it to be a way to artificially gestate harvested embryos. I came to this assumption because similar tech has been demonstrated by Chaos forces in the past, and it might be treading the line of violation of the sacred human form and thus being forbidden.

All we know for sure is the tech is considered forbidden except under extremely rare circumstances, and the name Vitae Womb.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: August 11, 2016, 05:02:55 pm »

Hell, it could be a less chaosy version of the daemonculaba for all we know, IE literally women turned into enlarged, living wombs. But ye, there's other far less gruesome ways to do this, just growing them in vats would be considerably more likely, since that sort of tech is already known in the imperium.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: August 11, 2016, 06:25:29 pm »

Could also just be totally normal cloning stuffs, and the imperium allows it because they don't want to get in a fight with Krieg it works to get them more guardsmen.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: August 11, 2016, 06:46:57 pm »

40k cloning isn't reliable though, it usually results in subpar humanoids and mutants prone to mental and physical degradation. Something to do with clones not developing souls properly I think.

Even Fabius Bile, the greatest human (well, Astartes, but you know what I mean) mad scientist had a hard time cloning things until he got lessons from the oldest coven of Haemonculi in Commorragh.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: August 11, 2016, 06:49:42 pm »

Fabius Bile was trying to clone Primarchs, that's a little different.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: August 11, 2016, 06:57:42 pm »

Skitarii are still somewhat human though, being fundamentally the same in outlook to the tech priests themselves, though of a more slavish mentality and able to have their will overwritten during combat operations by their handlers. Being one is a step up for a forge menial.

Being a servitor on the other hand is a punishment reserved for criminals, those who fail in their duties to the machine cult and vat grown mindless hulks of meat.
Skitarii vary greatly from Forge World to Forge World, physically and mentally. Some Forge Worlds go the pure efficiency route and send them into battle naked, some literally hardwire them into a slave-like mentally, some are basically normal guardsmen with better gear and swanky robes.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: August 11, 2016, 07:21:08 pm »

40k cloning isn't reliable though, it usually results in subpar humanoids and mutants prone to mental and physical degradation. Something to do with clones not developing souls properly I think.
Really?
I'd never thought about it like that. I'd always just sorta thought that there were so many cracks in the process, without the protection and regulations of a living body, that Chaos could work into the chinks.

Explains why Tau don't seem to have too much difficulty. Though it's not actually cloning, either, which probably helps.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: August 11, 2016, 08:36:25 pm »

Re: 40k cloning sucking. You gotta add that additional layer of fucked uped-ness due to the loss of technology and knowledge. I like to think of it as the Derp Coefficient, first worked out by Hieronynimus Thaddius Derp, a low-grade Mechanicus Cogitatus Teritus. He was trying to put a value to the impact of the Imperium and Mechancicus' loss of knowledge due to the Heresy and the next 10 millennia. A way to understand how much better pretty much all things would be had they not lost that knowledge. After finalizing his calculations and surveying them, he promptly ambulated over to the nearest vent for the plasma drives and waited for the next venting cycle.

You can also think of it as "anything technological done by the Imperium in the 41st millennium crit fails 1-3 on a 1d10."

Also people probably associate Vitae Wombs with giant overgrown breeding women because of this thing.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:39:01 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5367 on: August 12, 2016, 12:58:44 am »

Note that Orks during Beast reign were the first to do that too, but instead of soldiers they just wanted meat. Even the Iron Warriors that were temporarily allied with Imperial Fists though that was fucked up... but that's where they got the idea for Daemonoculaba, most proably.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:00:38 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: August 12, 2016, 02:05:07 am »

Also souls
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: August 12, 2016, 10:41:41 am »

So adeptus mechanicus fought 15 year long war against necrons to just discover STC for selfheating frying pans and automatic quills. Wow.

Wisdom of the ancients is not to be questioned. 1010101001. Knowledge is power 1010101001011
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 824