Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023500 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #5370 on: August 12, 2016, 10:45:53 am »

Hey, automatic quills are a big deal in Dungeons and Dragons :P
I mean...  Does that basically mean they rediscovered computer printing?  I know I know, it's a silly "You got a rock!", but I dunno. 

And maybe the IG can use the frying pans...  Not like their lasguns burn hot enough :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: August 12, 2016, 10:55:53 am »

Both of those things seem useless on the surface, but if distributed through the Administratum and the Munitorum both become massive savings on time and resources.

How many man-hours could be saved by giving every Administratum paper shuffler a quill that ups their writing speed by, let's say 5%? How many billions of adepts would get a little more work done in their daily routine than before? How much less likely would it be for important matters like taxation or secessionists to get ignored before they reach someone able to do anything about it?

A self-heating pan is less useful for logistical purposes since guard rations are already self-heating, but it could be useful to reduce the resource requirements of the middle classes on the more affluent worlds, as they would no longer need to cook as much on a stove and instead just have the pan heat itself directly. It would only save a small amount of energy on any given world, but it all adds up.

On a scale the size of the Imperium, both such technologies would more than make up for the lives lost and resources expended to get them in a few decades, if it would even take that long.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: August 12, 2016, 11:06:37 am »

Not like their lasguns burn hot enough.
Funny you say that, lasgun powerpacks are made to be recharged through either light or heat.
The average trooper either leaves them in the sun or throws them into a cooking fire.

Ergo, self-heating frying pans could be useful for resupplying in a pinch.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:41:55 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: August 12, 2016, 11:16:02 am »

Wow, that is both pathetic and impressively rugged.  Oh right it's the Imperial Guard!
I'm glad that with the space elves and power-armored mutant supersoldiers, there are also gritty humans with tanks.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: August 12, 2016, 11:17:25 am »

Note: Recharging powerpacks in fire angers the machine spirit, and is not recommended due to risk of dismemberment, burns, and/or death.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5375 on: August 12, 2016, 11:28:29 am »

Better anger the Machine Spirit than to get caught by Dark Eldar while having no ammunition. At least you would be able to kill yourself.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: August 12, 2016, 11:38:09 am »

Better anger the Machine Spirit than to get caught by Dark Eldar while having no ammunition. At least you would be able to kill yourself.
Sounds like heresy to me. Maybe all your posts where you rabidly defend the Imperium were just a smokescreen to hide your heretical allegiance.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: August 12, 2016, 11:40:00 am »

Like fans of Paranoia, the best part of being an Imperium fan is surreptitious bits of constructive heresy.
For the... how you say... greater good (;
She/they

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: August 12, 2016, 11:41:19 am »

Son, when that piece of equipment requires 350,000 megajoules between now and your next engagement, and you've got thirty minutes to cook something hot before the CO screams down yer neck for light discipline, you throw the damn things in the fire.

When you go to have your two hours of sleep-time, you tuck those things in the front of your pants like they were your own lover- and if you start thinking of that lover back on your piss-poor planet you're never gonna see again, you damn sure don't take them out during.
Not killin' the mood is gonna mean a lot less when a genestealer has its cock-spike all up in your face and you're shit outta ammo.

Never get get kicked outta bed, kicked inna uniform and kicked into yer shoebox. You gotta be at that chimera fifteen minutes before CO turns up so you're damn sure you've strapped that thing good and tight to the exhaust port.
If you're runnin with russ-rats, call in some favors, pocket some emperors. Most'll let yer heavy web up a bundle and throw 'em on the engine. The ol' tractor runs hotter, and she'll charge ye faster.

An' for the love o' the emperor, do not put 'em in your damn breast pocket. Ye've probably heard the story o' the man who took a stub in the chest, hit his pack and he was fine?
Yeah well I seen it, an he weren't fine, and neiver was the poor bastards on either side of 'im.

Machine spirits is forgivin', and if they ain't we never woulda won back half the galaxy, arright? Just don't let the fucking cogboys see 'em.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:01:27 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: August 12, 2016, 11:45:16 am »

Like fans of Paranoia, the best part of being an Imperium fan is surreptitious bits of constructive heresy.
For the... how you say... greater good (;
For the Empire. For the Emperor. For the unity of mankind....and most other species, to boot.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5380 on: August 12, 2016, 11:46:36 am »

That's not heresy, that's just common sense. Technically it's better to suicide before being captured by Dark Eldar, since you aren't going to do shit as a lone Guardsman and you will deprive them of your sweet sweet pain or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: August 12, 2016, 11:50:33 am »

I was talking about the power packs, but yeah.  There's no shame in that, they're even depriving the enemy by giving their lives.

Dark Eldar...  I may have liked the depraved Eldar pre-Slaanesh, but the Dark Eldar are all wrong.  brrrrr.

But then, every chaos god is really the dark reflection of a virtue, aren't they?  It's a shame that only the evil sides get to manifest, but that's grimdarkness 4ya.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:52:17 am by Rolan7 »
She/they

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: August 12, 2016, 11:54:46 am »

If you used up all your charge shooting at 6+ string-shirt-save'd dark eldar, you're exactly one helmet short of being completely useless.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:08:35 pm by Tack »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: August 12, 2016, 11:56:16 am »

Virtue and vice are the same thing, merely given different context.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: August 12, 2016, 12:03:31 pm »

That's not heresy, that's just common sense. Technically it's better to suicide before being captured by Dark Eldar, since you aren't going to do shit as a lone Guardsman and you will deprive them of your sweet sweet pain or something.
You can piss off the machine spirit and take them out with you.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 824