Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1024234 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3405 on: March 11, 2016, 12:43:41 am »

I thought you said they weren't really in it for anything more than shoot and be shot?

I said I'm ok with it in moderation. It's a theme and a thing to do in games. It isn't *the* thing to do. A man's got dreams, after all.

They don't seem like 'veterans' in that sense, at least.

20+ years roleplaying has kind of made people sedentary in their ways. We've all played high concept, high roleplaying games. Eventually the group always came back to, ya know, yolo swag as the easiest and most readily enjoyable kind of roleplaying. This group is the comfort zone of roleplaying for them, but it means they've developed a way of playing games that many GMs find frustrating.

And while railroading is hated by the players, you gotta do what you gotta do to make your game work, and be fun for you to run as well as for them to play.

I get a lot of advice from one player in particular. Or if less advice, more statements about what they do and don't find fun. The kind of person that when I described the scale and scope of RT went "I think the scale or the scope isn't fun. I'd rather be one ship with 20 guys swashbuckling in space. Having a fleet is boring. Having an empire is boring. Building an empire is boring. Gearing up over time is boring. Having thousands of guys at our beck and call is clunky and boring because commanding people to do things isn't fun." That's generally what I have framing my decisions about game, is at least one person constantly undercutting the setting. (He is, in fact, just as steeped in 40k lore as I am. He's way more selective about what he likes. It should surprise no one he's playing the Eldar.)

Like, really, it almost sounds like you've been resentful of them, apologies or no.

Spoiler: Whiny shit (click to show/hide)

Trust your players to be able to handle the occasional risky plot or two.

I'm a pretty firm believer that adventures have to have pay offs, and you don't just construct death traps for your players. Misery isn't a good motivator for a lot of people, and the game isn't Call of Cthulhu despite all the insanity and corruption and stuff. So I trust them to handle risky plots. I don't want to get into revengeance GMing though. That's what I'm cautioning myself against. The best revengeance you can have as a GM is an encounter you put next to no effort into and the players thought you designed it to kill them and took it completely seriously.

Put another way, wanting to put the fear of god into your players as a goal isn't a good place to GM from. It's been tried with this group before and they've just been around too long, played under too many GMs, seen too many GM tricks and are too willing to say "meh fuck it I don't care" when they've been put in a corner. So I'm trying instead to focus on doing something that actually reaches them in a way that they don't have to be brats to stay entertained. Be that a satisfying combat, an enemy set up for them to knock down or an actual original idea that took root. Because the truth is when you've been playing with the same group for so long, if the GM isn't delivering fun to you, you either start making your own or you stop showing up to table. I'm still currently taking it as a challenge to bust through the jaded gamer mentality and try and spark some genuine interest and novelty.

What's really frustrating is that I've seen good roleplaying out of these guys in the years past, but the older they get, the younger they seem to act at table. Or as one player puts it "I live an adult life and deal with depressing adult shit all day. Game is where I come to unwind and get away from all that." That attitude reflects a lot of their reactions to just about everything in game.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 01:53:02 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: March 11, 2016, 02:04:52 am »

I said risky plots,  not "fuck you" plots. Ones that are tricky to pull off and have go smiothly, or at least enjoyably. Not misery as motivation so much as getting the players invested in the plot by using things that they like or get annoyed by. If there's a weapons merchant they always buy from who gives good deals and they've becomeused to getting stone nice stuff from, when their ability to buy shoot from them is threatened, they'll get protective. If you set up an enemy who's shown as willing to do the things players hate the most, like break their toys, that'll be the enemy that inspires the most ferocity while fighting. The tricky part is mostly in giving them enough characterization that it's the npcs they resent/grow to dread/hold dear,  rather than just expecting you to give them shit to buy, or thinking of you as the enemy stealing their stuff.

Don't punish them, just try to find ways to engage all sorts of players,  even if that means shootee pants Mcgee doesn't get to have their way all the time. I mean, If you can make everyone happy all the time,  gray,  but that's bipod what it sounds like.

You could also ask them at some point what they're all hoping for the story to end up going toeards or whatever so they can see what the other players want and hopefully try and cut each other slack with their inn game actions. Or mutiny and steal the Captains ship out from under him once revenge is done :P PvP plots tens to be the most interesting of all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: March 11, 2016, 02:19:45 am »

What about the good loot chance figure in both ways( doing, what he asks you for/ shooting him in the head), who is undercover acolyte leading small cell of inquisitorial agents, so exploding his head leads to !FUN! consequences.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3408 on: March 11, 2016, 09:29:20 am »

I wonder what your crew would do if they ran into a Chaos titan or something. Cool gamers would ram the fuck out of it with their ship, all while rocking out on the flaming hulk as it plummets towards the surface.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: March 11, 2016, 07:35:32 pm »

Ramming a star ship into a Chaos Titan is pretty unlikely, given that it'd either be floating in space and mostly defenseless, of a star ship would be crashing into the planet which would be suicidal.

Sounds like something my players would try.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: March 11, 2016, 07:38:46 pm »

... wouldn't it depend on who was driving the star ship? Because I'm pretty sure ramming your ship into a ground bound target is something like orkish navel maneuvering 101.

Though looking back a bit it does look like you were talking beakie ships. Still. Roks fall, man. Roks fall. So does everything else orky boyz manage to hijack.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: March 11, 2016, 07:50:32 pm »

Couldn't you just fall into the atmosphere far enough to hit the thing, then jump into the warp before you hit the ground?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: March 11, 2016, 08:00:17 pm »

So I saw someone playing the beta for BFG today. It looked pretty damn cool, actually.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: March 11, 2016, 08:06:16 pm »

Couldn't you just fall into the atmosphere far enough to hit the thing, then jump into the warp before you hit the ground?
Jump into the Warp in atmosphere mid collision with a Chaos Titan.

This can't possibly go wro-
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: March 11, 2016, 08:08:25 pm »

Nope. For two reasons.

1) Warp jumps are done by tearing a giant warp portal open in front of you and flying into it. Raw chaos energies pour out and batter against the fabric of reality. This is not something you want to do near anything important.

2) For reasons that I've never seen explained trying to enter/exit the warp near a planet, star or any similar gravity source will pull you into it and crush you in it's core. It's a plot point in a few novels, and the setting in general, used to explain why ships enter reality at the edge of solar systems rather than right next to the planet they want to go to, and in one story I've read was going to be used to annihilate some boarders to prevent them from freeing a Daemon Prince in a mutual destruction scenario.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen
« Reply #3415 on: March 11, 2016, 08:16:33 pm »

Though, that said, you could teleport (some of) your crew off ship before impact, conceptually. That's also a very much "Nothing can go wrong" (in the most murphean of sense), but it's theoretically possible.

Alternately, and far more intelligently, drop/escape pods, stuff like thunderhawks, etc., etc. Most of the crew would still die because this is WH40k and who the hell has escape pods for the deck workers, but the important people might live! Though in the case given they would then be groundside on a planet that had a chaos titan on it (i.e., it's pretty likely there's more of them, and all the other chaos-y things that tend to tag along :P), which probably means they would have been better off just going down with the ship. Seriously, if orbital dropping your starship onto a chaos titan was a good idea, you almost certainly don't want to actually survive the experience.
Ask not!
Ask!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: March 11, 2016, 08:20:39 pm »

Yeah, but the lives of the crew, including the captain, is much lower value than the ship. The ideal would be to find a way to save the ship, at the cost of the crew's lives.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: March 11, 2016, 08:25:01 pm »

Well... I guess there is one way I could think of, to orbital drop a beakie ship and later get it back into orbit and (mostly) working order.

Let the orkz have it afterwards, and then steal the ship back once they get it back into space. Far as I can recall they're the only WH40k race that makes a habit of dropping their (capital) starships face first onto a planet and actually getting them back later. You'd again probably be better off just letting the ship explode, but... still. Possible!

E: Actually, maybe two ways. You might be able to blow up the planet just right so the ship shakes loose instead of being pulverized. Excavate/tug out, whatever. I think they do that occasionally with ones stuck in hulks/moons/etc.?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:26:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: March 11, 2016, 08:29:10 pm »

Most chaos titans could be killed much easier by just bombarding them from orbit anyway, assuming there's nothing you want near them. Crashing anything larger than a cargo shuttle on them is a huge waste.

Given the size of some shuttles though you could probably kill one by just crashing a regimental dropship on it. The damn things can carry hundreds of Leman Russ tanks and several thousand men into atmosphere. Load one up with volatile plasma containers and get some servitors to ram it into the target and watch as it goes up like a freaking nuke.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3419 on: March 11, 2016, 08:37:46 pm »

What if you have an enemy that gets more powerful the more you shoot it, has a magic maguffin like some not!demon rifle within it and can only be killed with an even more powerful maguffin which the enemy is looking for?
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 824