Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1024212 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3375 on: March 08, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »

BY THE EMPEROR, FLY ME CLOSER, I WANT TO HIT THEM WITH MY SWORD!

I am watching the Battlefleet Gothic and I am nodding in approval, as for once, I can see Imperial Navy in motion, with all the technical shit that I read up about (various turrets, weapons, stuff) actually working. This game will bring back awesome into the flyboys of Imperium, as we will finally see them getting shit done. This is my wet dream.

EDIT:
By the Throne, this is... HE RAMMED THE FUCKER AND THEN THEY BOTH FIRED A BROADSIDE AND THEN SLOWMOTION KICKED ON AND I JUST SAW A SPACE CATHEDRAL EXPLODING AND... GOD EMPEROR, THIS IS IT.
EDIT2:
THOSE SHOTS COMING OUT OF THE STASIS BOMB FIELD OF EFFECT, JUST... beautiful...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 03:13:46 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: March 09, 2016, 05:59:24 am »

I saw angry Joe preview of BFG... By The Emperor! That's the way you make a 40k game! Everything felt rigth and good. The customization and the campaign! Oh Holly Terra the campaing looks simply amazing.

Also isn't somebody going to give me the sizes of a model to figure out the ship scale for TT?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3377 on: March 09, 2016, 06:21:57 am »

Can't wait until the mods start rolling out

Also we are one step closer to a full Rogue Trader RPG where your ship rolls around spehss and you're 60% space atmosphere and 30% paranoid and 10% ONE STEP FROM ARMAGEDDON

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: March 09, 2016, 10:29:45 am »

Also we are one step closer to a full Rogue Trader RPG where your ship rolls around spehss and you're 60% space atmosphere and 30% paranoid and 10% ONE STEP FROM ARMAGEDDON

I do hope that these games being made spur modding on. I think an obstacle for previous Battlefleet Gothic mods had been the need to model from the tabletop models as well as drawings. Having 3D models to reference will help a lot in this regard. I would like to see a Warhammer 40,000 mod for X: Albion Prelude perhaps, though that game kind of has problems with larger scale ships, warp rings and weapon distances.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3379 on: March 09, 2016, 11:07:11 am »

Theoretically you can just rip the models out, as the guy who ported Space Marine/Dow2 stuff and modified it to have Space Marines with all the gear and tanks and shit in Source, but then it's very damn questionable to use and will result in Cease And Desist letter.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: March 09, 2016, 02:30:48 pm »

yes
Yes
YES
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3381 on: March 09, 2016, 02:43:36 pm »

Rogue Traders are proably the profession that is best suited for RPGs in Wh40k, due to balanced life expectancy - adventure ratio.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: March 09, 2016, 07:27:26 pm »

In other news Eisenhorn Xenos is inbound too.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: March 09, 2016, 11:37:46 pm »

Players met the AI after killing several waves of robots meant to convince them go away. AI makes its opening lines, and within two complete sentences the Captain opens fires on it. AI throws the best it has at the players but it's not enough by far for guys all in power armor, with power fields, toting all variety of melta guns. So it engages the facility termination protocol.

The Psyker Puppet Master's the AI, and with me really not knowing the answer to if a player can mind control a half human/half machine AI, I give him control. The Psyker manages to shut down all the robots still attacking them but not prevent the facility from collapsing. Cue a frenzied ride in the back of a Chimera out of the structure as it's collapsing. They pile half a dozen robot corpses, and one fully intact if deactivated one, into the ship lift off and that was that. I put a lot of thought into the AI but ultimately, it had shot at the party and killed some of their peeps, and the Captain wasn't going to let it live that down.

It was all going (more or less) according to plan until the mind control attempt. Didn't handle that too gracefully. Made it almost impossibly hard for him to beat but he 02'd the roll while I rolled like a 96. Should have handed out some insanity points, at the very least, but it didn't occur to me until later.

Now they're back on course with the plot. We'll see how long that lasts. I'm going to have to start thinking up more adventures. They've basically run through the initial battery of ideas I'd cooked up since the start of the campaign. Now they're going to be going even deeper into the Expanse, and I'm going to have actually make good on this Revenge Plot they've been on at some point. Time to dangle a little bit of meat on a hook I think.

But first, a nasty trip through the Warp and a planet full of cultists!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:49:09 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: March 09, 2016, 11:57:14 pm »

Ooh, you could also do a super-loyal Imperial world. Like, so far out, this one planet that venerates the Emperor perfectly. Suspiciously so, despite being perfectly legitimate. It can serve as any number of plot hooks, I wager. Might not fit with what you have in mind, though
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: March 09, 2016, 11:59:48 pm »

I think I'd strangle your Captain player after all the plotlines they've damaged by being trigger-happy.
Ooh, you could also do a super-loyal Imperial world. Like, so far out, this one planet that venerates the Emperor perfectly. Suspiciously so, despite being perfectly legitimate. It can serve as any number of plot hooks, I wager. Might not fit with what you have in mind, though
Or just a world cannibalizing itself in the throws of fanaticism. Like a warp-storm formed the face of the Emperor and the whole planet is grinding to a halt under the throws of armed mobs burning down sinful whatever and self-mutilating to repent of their failures before Him on Terra.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: March 10, 2016, 01:18:25 am »

I think I'd strangle your Captain player after all the plotlines they've damaged by being trigger-happy.

As I was explaining the AI's motivation and situation, the Captain and another player were making wrist cutting motions and going "Oh my god it's so emo." This is, unfortunately, mostly what I have to work with. They're strong personalities at table but they, for lack of a better descriptor, are complete emotional retards when it comes to gaming. Shooting things, looking cool, dropping dope lines, that's what it's all about to them.

And to be fair, the Psyker was actually trying to talk to the AI at first. Several times actually. But when it became clear it was going to nuke the whole facility, they got on board with subjugating it.

S'alright though. Some time ago I would have walked away from the campaign as "ruined" but I've learned to roll with the punches better. (And not to invest too deeply in my own creations; it's just as likely they'll make a real impact on my players as get a bullet to the face.)

To be fair, I do have MORE ideas. Just none super fleshed out. I've got a doc of idea hooks going and I need to go through the process of adding them as systems and planets to the Reach map, figuring out where they fit in the picture of things going on in the Expanse. I do need some variety though. Way too many NPCs just waiting to die. Couple ideas I still have kicking around:

-Planet and society totally dominated (like mentally dominated) by a cabal of Psykers.
-Study in contrast between a savage human world and a moderately technically advanced society in their response to Dark Eldar piracy and slave-taking.
-Gonna throw the Rak'Gol in there at some point as a another "Let's see how much abuse players can really put up with" encounter.
-Totally new alien race I cooked up, hell-bent on secret keeping. Gonna try to really dig into a non-human mindset, a totally reordered way of thinking.
-Space Station of rich noble who went crazy and died while his medieval space fantasy palace went on without him.
-System where like 4 factions are engaged in all-out war and no-holds bar plunder.

Couple other things. Sadly some of my other pre-generated ideas fill out areas of the Expanse the players won't be going unless they get a very good reason too.

Still kind of at an impasse with this whole Ork Freebooter thing. I'd always envisioned him living in a system full of Ork Freebooterz, like "Pirate Island" for Orks, and after the last major campaign they came back defeated without their leader and turned to fighting each other. A great time to strike for VENGEANCE, right? My players (or at least one of them) on the other hand keep saying they envision a "villain of the week" kind of encounter, where they just miss him every so often, they're chasing him across the Expanse, yadda yadda.

It's not really the campaign I've been envisioning. I want this revenge tale to end, at some point, because i don't want to run 6 months of pretexts for why they still haven't caught and killed this fucker. I want a big climactic battle, and then I want them to actually live in the Expanse, make something of themselves, stake their claim or just wander to all the weird, wonderful places I'd like to create. And not just basically leave a trail of destruction and tears across the galaxy as they treat literally every single thing I present them as a secondary objective to "kill that friggin guy." It's almost like it's a defense mechanism against having to take anything seriously.

Still not sure which direction I'm going to go: their way, my way or some bastardized combination of the two.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:23:43 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: March 10, 2016, 01:45:16 am »

If you want to test or train them not to simply shoot everything on sight, here's one idea.

Really messed up Daemon World with massive illusions over everything. Like everything looks normalish, but off, and also medeival. The more they break the illusion, the more the illusion is broken, and that knight they just shanked is now a Bloodthirster. *shrug*

I will say I would probably get annoyed by that group as a player as well, and have sympathy for your plight...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: March 10, 2016, 02:16:40 am »

Next second they melt bloodthirster and steal his axe.
They seem to be geared so good, that if the great crusade time emperor with 1000 custodes jumped
on them from golden battle barge, they would loot him and his custodes and get some more exp.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: March 10, 2016, 02:34:28 am »

They're not immortal, that's for sure. I almost killed (as in made them burn Fate points) two players last game with just some beefy (as in 20+ damage reduction) robots with powers swords, two attacks and a counter attack on parry. I had them yelping "BULLSHIT" the whole fight. No one burned a Fate point but they came damn close. I came within a couple hits of dropping one guy with an Autocannon tonight. (Others dodged attacks that would have completely annihilated them, except for the power fields.) I know I can hurt them. The trick is to hurt them without deliberately going overboard. I could have made those robots even deadlier or brought x2 as many but I think I stopped at pretty much the right point in terms of the firepower, toughness and health. Maybe could have done with a few more combatants just to keep things a little spicier.

I haven't even dug deeply into my bag of combat bullshit or really put the nails to them yet. (I did drop Haywire grenades on them and that will probably be something I'll resort to in the future as well.) I've been holding back on the #'s of guys to keep fights "tuned", because the early campaign involved very little legit combat and just one narratively hamfisted mass combat by me.

All these combats lately were structured to give them a taste of blood, as well as myself. That's been accomplished now, everyone has honorably whetted their blades after the atrocity on Astalon.

So this next adventure I'm going to experiment with throwing a several big hordes of rather weaker enemies at them in tight spot, and bring home the point that sheer numbers narratively can ruin their day even if combat wise they're relatively untouched. Or try to anyways. They just faced down small numbers of killbots with enough firepower to destroy tanks. Now let's see how they deal with hundred of poorly equipped but fanatical cultists who are willing to do anything to stop them. If things play out the way I hope they do, it'll provide a nice counter point to all the high-octane combat that's been going on.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:46:08 am by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 824