Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1021274 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2220 on: December 10, 2015, 05:37:06 am »

There's also a few whose Inquisitor dies before they do and are released by the fact that no one else bothers to pick up the deceased guys contacts and henchmen.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2221 on: December 10, 2015, 09:58:06 am »

Not that Kreig wasn't a better place to be pre-kreig, but I think calling a group named the Council of Autocrats anything resembling a democratic body is a stretch. They may well have had the support of the governed, but that also applies to the Imperium as a whole.

A paradise hive...I guess the right word for that would be arcology. Kreig the Arcology World. Still, hard to avoid the creation of things like the underhive with any sort of structure like that.
Well, it was democratic for Wh40k standards. I belive the council was choosen by people, at least the wealthier ones and then the council elected one among themselves to become a planetary governor. I'm not actually sure, I think it was something like that but the sources on pre-heresy Krieg are scarce. It wasn't a paradise world, but pretty damn close to one, since the majority wasn't in the underhive where the social rejects and criminals etc. descended. It apparently still had some trees, even if the whole planet was pretty bad when it comes to ecology anyway. It's still far away from utopia, but it's not exactly an dystopia (well, actually it is since they headed straight into nuclear war, but you get my drift). The Krieg was pretty bright, which causes it to cast an even bigger shade on the grimdark that followed.
Everyone knows of the deliriously glory-addicted type of officer who patiently listens to everyone's concerns and then completely ignores them in favor of their own proper sense of judgement. Such a person would hear his subordinates explain how Kreigers...are and respond "Right, jolly good having you keep me up on these things, now about the award ceremony?".
Point taken, Wh40k has a lot of those jolly good fellows who just sip tea and are completly detached from reality.
And you are forgetting one thing, that being told to be proud of accomplishing something actually does run afoul of one of the very few emotions common to Kreigers, overwhelming existential guilt and suicidal idealization.
Can they be proud tho? They proably don't even get the concept of being proud.
I for one like the idea that it would be seen as a riddle, to find a way to both be prideful of their service to the Emperor and never disobey orders while still being part of a culture who's primary and practically only ethos is "die for the cause".
Proably - wouldn't give a shit. At worst would submit to summary execution because notices that he's unable to feel pride.

Question: Once recruited into the inquisition do acolytes have to become inquisitors? Can they be released from service and not be killed/suspected of heresy.
I belive if you manage to live through all the shit of Inquisition and get relased somehow and not get executed for what you have seen, you usually have enough money to start a life on some planet and become just another Inquisiton contact and proceed to lay low and life an peaceful life until shit breaks loose.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: December 10, 2015, 01:43:49 pm »

Were gloriana class battleships awesome?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2223 on: December 10, 2015, 01:45:36 pm »

Damn right they were and are.
Sadly, they apparently all are in Eye Of Terror... in one way or another.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: December 10, 2015, 04:17:20 pm »

Was gonna try a writething on a Korps guardsman who'd been given a medal for "heroism" by The Lord Commander and ordered to "Wear it proudly".
Not even sure what that would be like though.
Some sort of riddle/punishment?
Slap it on the uniform and keep clean... in other words, he's not going to think about it really, it's just another piece of equipment. Also, while they don't give a single shit about medals and such, they aren't going to disobey a direct order. I'm more concerned about the fact that nobody would stop the Lord Commander or that he had an idea to give one to a Krieger anyway.
Everyone knows of the deliriously glory-addicted type of officer who patiently listens to everyone's concerns and then completely ignores them in favor of their own proper sense of judgement. Such a person would hear his subordinates explain how Kreigers...are and respond "Right, jolly good having you keep me up on these things, now about the award ceremony?".

And you are forgetting one thing, that being told to be proud of accomplishing something actually does run afoul of one of the very few emotions common to Kreigers, overwhelming existential guilt and suicidal idealization.

I for one like the idea that it would be seen as a riddle, to find a way to both be prideful of their service to the Emperor and never disobey orders while still being part of a culture who's primary and practically only ethos is "die for the cause".
Yeah that.
I had also thought it could be very unkrieglike behaviour which could lead to squad animosity... Then I realized they're kriegers and animosity is probably the last thing on their mind anyway.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:44:46 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2225 on: December 10, 2015, 04:43:21 pm »

I had also thought it could be very unkrieglike behaviour which could lead to squad animosity... Then I realized they're kriegers and animosity is probably the last thing on their mind anyway.
Squad animosity? Like, why? It ain't exactly an important piece of equipment and it's not like...
Actually, fuck that, fuck this, fuck everything.

Sorry for potato quality but finding this image cost me a lot. I don't remember where I originally saw it, but I think it was maybe in Only War.
EDIT:
I know this isin't your regular guardsmen getting awards, but that's still pretty unusual for them. Maybe they get the awards as regiments whole?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: December 10, 2015, 04:46:15 pm »

Could be promotion ceremony?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2227 on: December 10, 2015, 04:47:27 pm »

Possibly, I can't see a bloody thing there and I don't know what's the greenie carrying.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: December 10, 2015, 05:10:36 pm »

Fun fact, despite popular opinion Tech-Priests only wear red robes when in war. The normal Mechanicus garb is white.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2229 on: December 10, 2015, 05:12:39 pm »

Fun fact, despite popular opinion Tech-Priests only wear red robes when in war. The normal Mechanicus garb is white.
In the grim darkness of far future, there is only... red robes?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: December 10, 2015, 05:24:08 pm »

Whaaat, where'd you get that? The scions of the Red Planet would not wear some boring innocent color like white. Pfah!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: December 10, 2015, 05:28:22 pm »

Well, I guess that's why they only ever wear red then. Mystery solved! :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: December 10, 2015, 05:37:13 pm »

Whaaat, where'd you get that? The scions of the Red Planet would not wear some boring innocent color like white. Pfah!
The common source is that Sandy Mitchell likes to ignore other works and keeps making them wear white robes, but there's also some art that shows it and some unsubstantiated claims that back in the original Rogue Trader the cogboys only wore white.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2233 on: December 10, 2015, 05:45:15 pm »

All people writing 40k like to ignore other works.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: December 10, 2015, 05:57:47 pm »

Canon is heresy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 824