Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1027202 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #675 on: May 15, 2015, 12:43:13 am »

Empy had plenty of that from the moment he declared himself and conquered Terra. Dickishness is a key part of expanding an empire.
Not what I meant. I mean, why didn't he ever really exploit humanity to further his own pleasure? Even after he declared himself he could've just made the primarchs and have them go conquer stuff while he stayed on Terra and permanently live in a life of luxury. Instead, it seemed he planned to continue working to better humanity even if the primarchs weren't kidnapped by the gods.

Honestly some of these questions just sound like 2/10 trolling sometimes.
I hope you're not referring to mine. I spend about ~5-6 hours over 3 days talking to someone about how an Emperor-like being could be made in his universe. I've finally figured out how to make him but now he's saying that an Emperor would be catastrophically bad for the human race, citing the Emperor of 40k as to how an Emperor-like figure would use his power for self-indulgence and dickishness. I believe he's wrong in that regard but I honestly don't know why 40k Emps was as uncorrupted as he was.

But never underestimate his dickishness. When the Word-Bearers started spreading the worship of the god-emperor, he called them together in the largest, holiest city they had constructed, then burnt it to the ground and made every single one of them kneel in the dust of their greatest accomplishment and re-swear to the Imperial Creed.
(No gods, No masters, Only science)
Yes, and now that he's on the Golden Throne and can't do that anymore, we have the Ecclesiarchy Exterminatusing planets because they don't worship the Emprah. Also, the Age of Apostasy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:50:06 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 15, 2015, 12:47:40 am »

Oh, because he ... was that good of a guy? He certainly had willpower of iron in order to channel his psychic might, and did some really stupid shit in the name of his cause (everything to do with Lorgar), so I'd guess he was an idealist, one of the few in 40k that actually did shit.

Also that saying isn't all-encompassing, and Empy had somewhere around 30,000 years to indulge himself before he started the Great Crusade so I'd guess he was just partied out.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 15, 2015, 02:06:21 am »

Empy doesn't seem the type to really care for partying. Possibly things would've been better if he had - got him to relax a bit, have bonding experiences with his sons. Instead of the Lorgar massacre, he could've hosted a party and let alcohol work things out.

Although maybe having a drunk/hung-over man in charge of the Imperium would've ended badly.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 15, 2015, 03:36:19 am »

The emperor was formed by the sacrifice of mortal psykers with the collective goal of creating a shepherd for mankind. His sole reason for existence has always been to protect and nurture mankind. He knows this, knows why he was made and for a long time assumed the best thing would be to protect mankind subtly after his early attempts at using religion and direct teaching failed. After the Eldar empire was destroyed and the old civilization of mankind collapsed he decided that man needed help on it's path to it's manifest destiny and revealed himself for what he was, conquered Terra and began the Great Crusade.

He never became corrupt or decadent because his sole purpose was to raise mankind into a position of mastery over the galaxy and protect them from the predations of chaos, no matter the costs that would be paid in the short term.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 15, 2015, 09:42:01 am »

The emperor was formed by the sacrifice of mortal psykers with the collective goal of creating a shepherd for mankind. His sole reason for existence has always been to protect and nurture mankind.

Not actually fact. It's plausible. But the reading I've done says the Emperor was created to defeat Chaos, first and foremost. He took on the role of mankind's protector but that wasn't what he was created for.

Also "nurtue" is perhaps too strong. He certainly wanted to unite humanity...using bolter rounds. You can't really call the Great Crusade a war of nurturing. The Emperor decimated million of human lives in the name of unity, and pretty much as soon as he felt the crusades were over, he left those worlds in the hands of a growing bureaucratic class and holed up on Terra. The Imperial Truth is seemingly beneficent when compared to full scope of horror in 40k....but from the perspective of those who opted for "compliance" over "annihilation" it probably didn't seem that way. The primary purpose of the Imperial Truth was to create a secular universe, to defeat Chaos. The Emperor was fully aware of the value of non-secularism. He just believed, in an absolutist fashion, that starving Chaos of belief was more important.

If we accept that the Emperor's primary mission was to defeat or at least stymie Chaos, then making sure humanity didn't succumb to it as a whole is a necessary part of that equation. The Emperor is usually portrayed as being selfless in his defense of humanity, its biggest fan, but considering how fucking ruthless he and his Imperium became toward humanity, even during the Great Crusade, I think it's less selflessness and more cold, hard pragmatism. Humanity, to the Emperor, the Primarchs and the Legions, are a playing piece on a chessboard. The "father of humanity" and all that is propaganda at best, and rationalization for all the misery of his Imperium, at worst.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:44:55 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 15, 2015, 10:53:13 am »

Plus that whole "we do not communicate or treat with the Xenos" attitude he had which has kind of caused a Lot of problems recently.

I mean sure, if the Imperim had've entered into diplomacy with the Eldar 10,000 years ago we would almost certainly be their puppets, but at the same time that could've really fixed some massive issues we've had.
Macragge, for instance, or the 13th black crusade.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 15, 2015, 10:59:40 am »

So what technology, other then a.i.'s are considered
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Heri-tek
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 15, 2015, 11:01:42 am »

It's interesting to note that humans seemingly have the most internal variation in their Psychic abilities. The Tau universally have pretty much no connection to the warp; the Eldar are universally quite strong Psionically, the Tyrannid are all the same, the Orks are (almost) all the same, and so forth. The humans have everything ranging from 'Most Powerful Dude Ever' EMPRAH! to 'Hole in the universe' omega class nulls.

As to tech, pretty sure it's literally everything that isn't AM certified.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 15, 2015, 11:07:00 am »

So what technology, other then a.i.'s are considered
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Heri-tek

Cloning and and straight up cross breeding between humans and not-humans are a couple. The use of the Warp in new technology can be considered heretek depending on the implementation. The fusion of the warp and mechanicus technology (i.e. the obliterator virus) is most certainly heretek. Incorporation of xenos technology is almost always heretek. Non-binaric machine code is heretek.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 15, 2015, 11:43:41 am »

But above all, artificial intelligence...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 15, 2015, 12:51:43 pm »

The emperor was formed by the sacrifice of mortal psykers with the collective goal of creating a shepherd for mankind. His sole reason for existence has always been to protect and nurture mankind.

Not actually fact. It's plausible. But the reading I've done says the Emperor was created to defeat Chaos, first and foremost. He took on the role of mankind's protector but that wasn't what he was created for.

Also "nurtue" is perhaps too strong. He certainly wanted to unite humanity...using bolter rounds. You can't really call the Great Crusade a war of nurturing. The Emperor decimated million of human lives in the name of unity, and pretty much as soon as he felt the crusades were over, he left those worlds in the hands of a growing bureaucratic class and holed up on Terra. The Imperial Truth is seemingly beneficent when compared to full scope of horror in 40k....but from the perspective of those who opted for "compliance" over "annihilation" it probably didn't seem that way. The primary purpose of the Imperial Truth was to create a secular universe, to defeat Chaos. The Emperor was fully aware of the value of non-secularism. He just believed, in an absolutist fashion, that starving Chaos of belief was more important.

If we accept that the Emperor's primary mission was to defeat or at least stymie Chaos, then making sure humanity didn't succumb to it as a whole is a necessary part of that equation. The Emperor is usually portrayed as being selfless in his defense of humanity, its biggest fan, but considering how fucking ruthless he and his Imperium became toward humanity, even during the Great Crusade, I think it's less selflessness and more cold, hard pragmatism. Humanity, to the Emperor, the Primarchs and the Legions, are a playing piece on a chessboard. The "father of humanity" and all that is propaganda at best, and rationalization for all the misery of his Imperium, at worst.

When he was formed it's unlikely the shamans that fused to become him thought chaos could die, they just knew that if they didn't do something daemons would keep eating them when they died and stop them from reincarnating to help people and learn about the nature of existence.

As for how he treated the Imperium, bear in mind this was his final attempt after trying to make humans be nice to each other through example, some of the older canon implies he was Jesus/Buddha/Baldr so on and so forth, but that the innate flaws of man resulted in each of his teachings of peace being corrupted by the chaos gods over time. Deciding that killing and oppressing a few trillion/quadrillion humans for half a millenia while he gets them properly educated and sorts out a reliable safe FTL for them is worth the end goal of galactic harmony is quite sound reasoning for someone who takes the long view.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 15, 2015, 01:13:20 pm »

So what are the odds that Empy was either created, or created with the help from one of the old ones?

I'd say pretty high if some of them remained in hiding and of all people we know how much they'd hate the warp and anything connected to it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 15, 2015, 01:21:12 pm »

As for how he treated the Imperium, bear in mind this was his final attempt after trying to make humans be nice to each other through example, some of the older canon implies he was Jesus/Buddha/Baldr so on and so forth, but that the innate flaws of man resulted in each of his teachings of peace being corrupted by the chaos gods over time. Deciding that killing and oppressing a few trillion/quadrillion humans for half a millenia while he gets them properly educated and sorts out a reliable safe FTL for them is worth the end goal of galactic harmony is quite sound reasoning for someone who takes the long view.

Well, maybe. He was born in Anatolia, time unknown, and his history is only documented once he started trying to unite Earth. (Which was a total shit hole of despots at the time.) So there's not a lot of record of what he tried to do that wasn't....ruthlessly pragmatic. It would seem strange to me one of the most powerful beings in the universe didn't leave an imprint on history until he started having people shot.

So what are the odds that Empy was either created, or created with the help from one of the old ones?

I'd say pretty high if some of them remained in hiding and of all people we know how much they'd hate the warp and anything connected to it.

There is zero evidence to support this. Not everything comes back to the Old Ones. Also I don't know if "hate the warp" is accurate, given that they worked pretty closely with the Warp up until their defeat by the Necrons.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:23:08 pm by nenjin »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 15, 2015, 01:22:25 pm »

No, the hate warp people are the C'Tan, the star gods of the Necrons. Old Ones used the Warp for everything.
If anything it's more likely they're behind the Tyranids.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 15, 2015, 02:04:25 pm »

Well, maybe. He was born in Anatolia, time unknown, and his history is only documented once he started trying to unite Earth. (Which was a total shit hole of despots at the time.) So there's not a lot of record of what he tried to do that wasn't....ruthlessly pragmatic. It would seem strange to me one of the most powerful beings in the universe didn't leave an imprint on history until he started having people shot.

Well he was canonically the St. George who slew the dragon, so the idea is that he spent most of his life in disguise assuming mankind was best guided gently and largely left to it's own devices.

Then the Men of Iron rebelled and he finally decided humanity wasn't actually that good at ruling itself.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 824