Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 89

Author Topic: Stuck in an MMO OOC thread  (Read 57188 times)

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in an MMO Interest Check
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2014, 12:04:00 pm »

I have an idea for the ranged weapon debate.

At the highest skill levels of ranged weapons, you can use a variety of shortbows with low range and basic damage, but some decent arts.

At the lowest skill levels of ranged weapons, you have the throwing picks and spikes that don't even have arts.

At the middle skill levels of ranged weapons, you have throwing knives, daggers, and throwing stars with low range where you may only get 1-2 off unless your REALLY good evading the enemies advances. They would also have a few arts connected to them.
This is sorta shoving ranged weaponry into a secondary weapon role, but, eh, whatever.
Take a closer look at this text!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2014, 12:08:25 pm »

Or we can say screw SAO and just let people have fun.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2014, 12:09:30 pm »

Well we want the focus to be melee still, this just makes it so people who want to try ranged can do so. And maybe throwing weapons could be a fully fledged art side of things. This is just a rough idea.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2014, 12:11:54 pm »

Why do we want melee to be the focus though? It seems very limiting. And if melee is the focus I'm only going to use only ranged.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2014, 12:15:20 pm »

Well we want the focus to be melee still, this just makes it so people who want to try ranged can do so. And maybe throwing weapons could be a fully fledged art side of things. This is just a rough idea.
Who is "we"?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your attempt to propose a solution, but it puts ranged characters at a severe disadvantage for the entire game, and forces a playstyle.

Or we can say screw SAO and just let people have fun.
Basically this.

Thinking on it, mixing different potions and whatnot with different effects would be fun. Aciiiiiid. Acid in the eeeeeeyes. And, ingredients would require [currency], the things would take time to make... Hmm...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2014, 12:15:46 pm »

What about magic?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2014, 12:18:34 pm »

Maybe we should take something that would work with this. Dragon age 2 is something that comes to mind as working. It has a fairly even divide of ranged and melee and covers everything in a standard MMO.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »

No magic. Magic invariably becomes OP. But ranged should be less effective then melee. Until guns came in missile weaponry was less effective then melee.

If you make them equal then melee is going to lose almost every time, the ranged guy is going to get multiple attacks before melee can even fight back.

Question is how do you balance it? If arrows are realistic then melee are reduced to hiding behind shields and have no other choice.
If they don't then they'll run through arrows and missile get hacked to pieces.
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2014, 12:27:15 pm »

Let them have a chance to cut the missiles out of the air. Or dodge them. Why is realism something we need to enforce? After all, it's a vidoe game.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2014, 12:32:47 pm »

Let them have a chance to cut the missiles out of the air. Or dodge them. Why is realism something we need to enforce? After all, it's a vidoe game.
I just watched a clip of it, and that thing is in no way realistic. Hit points? Regenerating 600 every ten seconds? The guys sat there and slashed him over and over and did nothing to him. Tch.

Again, it's a game. Things have stats. Also, we're going to run out of arrows - and we're not exactly an army, you know?

No magic. Magic invariably becomes OP. But ranged should be less effective then melee. Until guns came in missile weaponry was less effective then melee.

If you make them equal then melee is going to lose almost every time, the ranged guy is going to get multiple attacks before melee can even fight back.

Question is how do you balance it? If arrows are realistic then melee are reduced to hiding behind shields and have no other choice.
If they don't then they'll run through arrows and missile get hacked to pieces.
That entire post...

And of course magic becomes relatively OP. Mages start weak, then get ridiculously powerful, but are limited by mana or limited spell uses. If they didn't get much more powerful, nobody would ever be one, because melee would be easier.  :-\

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2014, 12:34:45 pm »

Let them have a chance to cut the missiles out of the air.
Even using SAO as a basis, this is entirely possible, as demonstrated by Kirito in GGO.   
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2014, 12:35:50 pm »

Also, armor.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2014, 12:36:33 pm »

Let them have a chance to cut the missiles out of the air.
Even using SAO as a basis, this is entirely possible, as demonstrated by Kirito in GGO.
well that's just to boring.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2014, 12:39:53 pm »

I'm just gonna stay out of this entirely.
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2014, 12:40:45 pm »

What? I don't understand your post, kj. Also, Hugo, armor did jack-all against the more powerful enemies.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 89