Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I combine some related skills?

Yes. (Spot/Listen>Perception, Move Silently/Hide>Stealth, etc.)
- 0 (0%)
No.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 22, 2014, 11:22:33 am

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33

Author Topic: To Kill a Psion. D&D 3.5 OOC Thread. The GM has his shit together. Somewhat.  (Read 42375 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'd suggest one if I could think of one, but to me, it just doesn't really fit in at all. Just randomly being granted wings after working in a temple for a couple of days. If Wee Jas had more stuff to do with flying, at least there'd be that, but Wee Jas is a goddess of death and her rituals tend to do with burning jewelry, so to me it just doesn't fit.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

My old "planar radiation" standby sounds like a better bet.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

So, looks like I need to level up twice...

EDIT1: Also, I did my skills wrong. Looks like I'm redoing some stuff.
EDIT2: OK, that's pretty dumb. Certain knowledge skills are cross-class. Why would my class limit what I know about things?

Do you want any help?

You'd get an extra feat, 2d4+2 health, and 8 skillpoints.

If you retroactively take Able Learner feat (though you can only take it at first level, I think MNII might let you get away with it) all skills becoem class skills. Good for skill monkeys. You have to be human, which you are, so all is well.
That might be better than Improved Initiative right now, honestly.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Allee, look at this.

Looking at your sheet, it's missing a few things. It should reasonable resemble the one I've linked just now.

You should have 30 skill points from my maths, and you also need to choose the two bonus languages.

You also have a lot of money you could spend on stuff.

I haven't chosen your skills or spells for you, that's for you.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Allee, look at this.
You should have 30 skill points from my maths,
I assigned 30. The two knowledge skills other than Arcana are cross-class, so I had to spend twice the points on them. Hence a missing 6 skill points.

As for money, I have no idea what to spend it on. The magic item compendium is awfully specific and has a lot of stuff that's higher level.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, what are the weakness of your character you need to shore up?

Defence,

You should have something like 2750 gp, right?
Bracers of armour+1, 1000gp, or ring of protection+1, 2000gp, would give you some defence when  you haven't got mage armour up. But since mage armour'l last 3 hours for you, it shouldn't need casting too much, so this isn't too vital.

Vest or cloak of resistance+1, also 1000gp. Sorcerers have rather crappy saves, and their prime stat doesn't give any save a boost either. If we're fighting against psionics and mind control and stuff, you probably want good saves.

Freedom of movement and getting away from the pointy sticks is qquite useful for squishy sorcerers, so an anklet of translocation is 1400gp and lets you teleport 10' twice a day as a swift action.

You could just get a buttload of scrolls and have the tactical flexibility of the wizard.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

If you retroactively take Able Learner feat (though you can only take it at first level, I think MNII might let you get away with it) all skills becoem class skills. Good for skill monkeys. You have to be human, which you are, so all is well.
Not quite; they cost the same to buy as class skills, but unless you're multiclassing and a previous level had it as a class skill, the cross-class skill rank cap applies.

So, after buying off his Goliath LA (and thus being level 2, and I did ask MNII) and I've picked up the winged template. Uh. Presumably as a blessing from my god. Maybe the story goes that during the interim I spent a couple of days praying in and working in a temple to Wee Jas, asking for her favor in our upcoming trials and quests, and at the end of that period I was granted wings as a show of favor from her? If that works with the lore and stuff.
Did a favour for a Wizard? Volunteered to be a test subject for a Fleshcrafter/Silthilar, and the procedure weakened you somewhat (hence the lower HD)? Bought a fancy graft? There are a lot of possibilities; D&D is high magic, after all.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'd suggest one if I could think of one, but to me, it just doesn't really fit in at all. Just randomly being granted wings after working in a temple for a couple of days. If Wee Jas had more stuff to do with flying, at least there'd be that, but Wee Jas is a goddess of death and her rituals tend to do with burning jewelry, so to me it just doesn't fit.
Yeah, it is sorta lame maybe... Well, to clarify, the reason I took the winged template at all is because My Name is Immaterial said I can take it as a stepping stone, turning it into the half celestial template at level four. Which hopefully makes a bit more sense. I mean... Half Celestial doesn't make a whole bunch of sense itself for Wee Jas, but there's no Half Axiomatic Creature template (and even the Axiomatic creature doesn't look like it is PC appropriate... And it sucks.). A undead template might make sense, but there doesn't really seem to be any that are that appropriate for me.

So it's not quite just, "reward for being a worshiper kthxbi." I'm sorta being turned into gods Disciple/Handmaiden thingy. The wings are just the raw physical changes happening before the more subtle magical ones. I hope that makes a bit more sense, it's still not perfect... But the best I got.

Or could do this.

Did a favour for a Wizard? Volunteered to be a test subject for a Fleshcrafter/Silthilar, and the procedure weakened you somewhat (hence the lower HD)? Bought a fancy graft? There are a lot of possibilities; D&D is high magic, after all.

Favor for a wizard could be a thing, that would make sense.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Soooooo... My sheet won't update.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Soooooo... My sheet won't update.

Are you logged in? Sometimes mythweavers logs you out randomly for the kicks.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I mean, I leveled up last night, hit save changes, it said it saved, and then today I look at it and it's exactly how it was before I did anything.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Yeah, it is sorta lame maybe... Well, to clarify, the reason I took the winged template at all is because My Name is Immaterial said I can take it as a stepping stone, turning it into the half celestial template at level four. Which hopefully makes a bit more sense. I mean... Half Celestial doesn't make a whole bunch of sense itself for Wee Jas, but there's no Half Axiomatic Creature template (and even the Axiomatic creature doesn't look like it is PC appropriate... And it sucks.). A undead template might make sense, but there doesn't really seem to be any that are that appropriate for me.

So it's not quite just, "reward for being a worshiper kthxbi." I'm sorta being turned into gods Disciple/Handmaiden thingy. The wings are just the raw physical changes happening before the more subtle magical ones. I hope that makes a bit more sense, it's still not perfect... But the best I got.

Or could do this.

Favor for a wizard could be a thing, that would make sense.
Hold on, got this. Ahem.

Due to a combination of favor and cross-contamination from all your channeling and off-time missions, often to the Upper Plains, you have become gradually suffused with both raw energy from the Positive Energy Plane and ideological contamination from the Celestial Plane. This energy has been shaped by the recurring themes of the Celestial Plane into a more refined form of its common "overhealing" effect, making you increasingly celestial and causing you to consequently develop wings.

Basically, since the Upper Planes are made of ideas, spending enough time there causes you to integrate with the fabric of the planes, slowly becoming one of its denizens, this manifesting as the common tropes of said denizens. Hence, by fostering a connection to the Celestial Plane, you grow wings, and eventually become celestial.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I always wanted to run a sort of "planehopping" campaign, where the characters get sucked into a dimensional portal and start jumping from plane to plane, hoping that the next leap will be the leap home...
*Sliders theme plays*

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have I ever. Actually. Been to the upper planes? How common is planar travel is this setting?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Depends. You'd have to ask MNII, but you are a divine magic user, and I'd say "your god sucks you through a dimensional portal to go buy them planar milk" is a fair staple of divine downtime.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33