Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I combine some related skills?

Yes. (Spot/Listen>Perception, Move Silently/Hide>Stealth, etc.)
- 0 (0%)
No.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 22, 2014, 11:22:33 am

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33

Author Topic: To Kill a Psion. D&D 3.5 OOC Thread. The GM has his shit together. Somewhat.  (Read 42358 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

You can buy a winged graft for 10k. Of course, it's a fiendish graft, and good characters have a DC15 wis check or lose 1d3 wis a day, but...

Depends. You'd have to ask MNII, but you are a divine magic user, and I'd say "your god sucks you through a dimensional portal to go buy them planar milk" is a fair staple of divine downtime.

Of course, paladins don't even get the ability to pray for spells until 4th level. Clerics, they ain't.

Getting templates like this does seem very odd, to be honest. Maybe if there was some big event or cause, but it's just kinda... happened. Becoming half-celestial is one hell of a thing, huge change to your very nature. You become an outsider. You'd think if it was so wasy, there'd be a whole lot of people popping with wings.

Eh. Can't say I agree with it, but it's not in my hands.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Depends. You'd have to ask MNII, but you are a divine magic user, and I'd say "your god sucks you through a dimensional portal to go buy them planar milk" is a fair staple of divine downtime.

Of course, paladins don't even get the ability to pray for spells until 4th level. Clerics, they ain't.
Well, if he's able to get major divine blessings, particularly from a non-lawful-good deity, I'd say that's pretty cleric-y.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A major divine blessing for a definitely non-major divine paladin is the wierd part. Until just now, the only psionic he's even seen is his team-mate.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Getting templates like this does seem very odd, to be honest. Maybe if there was some big event or cause, but it's just kinda... happened. Becoming half-celestial is one hell of a thing, huge change to your very nature. You become an outsider. You'd think if it was so wasy, there'd be a whole lot of people popping with wings.

I mean, true it is weird. But I mean, I am a player character after all, clearly already abnormal. Being singled out for a blessing doesn't seem thhhhhat odd. Not to mention... I mean, the LA is part of the game, I gota (well, don't gota, but you know.) spend it on SOMETHING. Frankly a blessing seems to make a lot more sense then sprouting a extra couple hundred pounds of muscle mass and a pair of horns or something.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Half Celestial doesn't make a whole bunch of sense itself for Wee Jas, but there's no Half Axiomatic Creature template (and even the Axiomatic creature doesn't look like it is PC appropriate... And it sucks.). A undead template might make sense, but there doesn't really seem to be any that are that appropriate for me.
Honestly, Half Fiend makes more sense for Wee Jas than Half Celestial. There's always Entropic Creature, though the aura of negative energy could be... problematic. How attached to LG alignment are you? There's always the Death Knight, particularly if you swap the "Paladins get Blackguarded" for "Paladins get Bone Knighted" and Evil for Lawful. Especially effective if you take a level of Cleric before taking it.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Alternatively, you could appeal to the wisdom of the DM. I'm pretty sure he'd homebrew something appropriate.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Alternatively, you could appeal to the wisdom of the DM. I'm pretty sure he'd homebrew something appropriate.
That's why I said
There's always the Death Knight, particularly if you swap the "Paladins get Blackguarded" for "Paladins get Bone Knighted" and Evil for Lawful.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Meant that more in the context of the templates, though.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, true it is weird. But I mean, I am a player character after all, clearly already abnormal. Being singled out for a blessing doesn't seem thhhhhat odd. Not to mention... I mean, the LA is part of the game, I gota (well, don't gota, but you know.) spend it on SOMETHING. Frankly a blessing seems to make a lot more sense then sprouting a extra couple hundred pounds of muscle mass and a pair of horns or something.

LA, yes, but this is just straight leveling up. You aren't already a half-celestial, or something, you just wake up next tuesday and boom, your fundamental nature has changed completely in a massive way for not actually doing all that much.

Being blessed isn't odd, but as mentioned, you haven't done anything to be blessed for. It only does make slightly more sense than taking the half-minotaur template. I think the fact you're getting this just instead of a level up and not part of a plot point is the part that wrankles me most.

And yeah, Wee Jas is lawful neutral with lawful evil tendencies, apparently. She shares a home plane with Hextor, and he's a pretty evil dude. The Infernal Battleground of Archeron (though it's technically lawful neutral). So Half-fiend would be more appropriate, yeah.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Yeah, Death Knight is a template and the two changes to it I suggested would need DM approval.

LA, yes, but this is just straight leveling up. You aren't already a half-celestial, or something, you just wake up next tuesday and boom, your fundamental nature has changed completely in a massive way for not actually doing all that much.

Being blessed isn't odd, but as mentioned, you haven't done anything to be blessed for. It only does make slightly more sense than taking the half-minotaur template. I think the fact you're getting this just instead of a level up and not part of a plot point is the part that wrankles me most.
Actually, either of them could be fairly easily justified as latent fancy ancestry stuff becoming more apparent as you age/get more powerful. Much like Bloodlines, or Monster Classes, or improving a lesser template to a more drastic one (Draconic to Half Dragon, say).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:07:32 pm by Harbingerjm »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Yeah, Death Knight is a template and the two changes to it I suggested would need DM approval.
Ah, figured it was just a class, thanks :P.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like for it to be some sorta plot point, but I really don't want to crowbar myself into the plot. Also the pace this game is going is quite... Extreme in both directions. Five months of real time. Only two small battles and one mediumish battle. Two level ups. Even a minor sideplot seems like it could derail the game by years of real time and also bring us way past the point where it's relevant. I don't wanta be getting my level four upgrade when I hit level 16 or whatever. :/

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

In the process of attempting to level my character up, it has quickly become apparent that I don't know what I did with my character notes and have nfc what build I was trying to do. As such, in attempting to work something out relatively close in theme to what I think I was trying to do, I've spotted something I had previously missed (probably. I don't really remember.): the houserules remove the ITWF & GTWF feats, which makes TWF combat style Ranger a little... well.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's see... Things people wanted me to respond to:
Able Learner is fine.
Planar travel is for the rich, powerful or pious, of which Pathseeker is not high enough level for any. And adventurers when the DM has written himself into a corner.
Wings 'n shit. It is 1 in the morning. I'm going to pull one of those things where its hilarious and nonsensical and the DM will work out the details later. You have no idea why you have wings. You went to bed without wings, and now you have wings. You are very freaked out.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I've spotted something I had previously missed (probably. I don't really remember.): the houserules remove the ITWF & GTWF feats, which makes TWF combat style Ranger a little...
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33