Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Third Cavern is more than 80 z-levels  (Read 2906 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:27:44 pm by §k »
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: The Third Cavern is more than 80 z-levels
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 08:26:55 pm »

you have to upload it to an image hosting website (like imgur.com) and then give us the direct image link from that
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 08:30:17 pm »

Imgur and most of other image hosting sites are inaccessible from where I am.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 08:32:12 pm »

You can make caverns like these fairly reliably by setting numbers in advanced worldgen for "openness 0, density 0"  or a bit higher on openness like 30 maybe.
Those parameters SOUND like you'd have a cramped little cavern, but in actual fact, you still end up with big open cavern. If openness is 50 it's still all one huge room or two, but tends to be a bit shallower. Setting openness a little lower, like 30 will still leave just a handful of huge nodes that go much deeper, and openness of 0 gives you more like large tunnels and smaller nodes, but still cavernous as long as density if 0, still large enough to build cool things in, and they will tend to be very deep.

If you want cool cliff dwellings, go for the 0 openness.  If you want a good chance of a straight drop for maximum distance, go for more like 30 openness.

You can think of it sort of like "the cavern has a certain amount of volume of tiles it takes up at a given density value, and the less open it is, the more it has to twist around and go vertically to meet its quota, so it goes deeper, but if it is too twisty, you won't have straight lines that go deep, even if the whole system does"

Similarly, if you want huge uniform expanses of unbroken rock, try to embark on a granite-likely area, and set advanced worldgen to have a very deep "above layer 3" or 4.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:35:29 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 08:37:14 pm »

That's interesting mechanism!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 06:16:44 am »

You can make caverns like these fairly reliably by setting numbers in advanced worldgen for "openness 0, density 0"  or a bit higher on openness like 30 maybe.
Those parameters SOUND like you'd have a cramped little cavern, but in actual fact, you still end up with big open cavern. If openness is 50 it's still all one huge room or two, but tends to be a bit shallower. Setting openness a little lower, like 30 will still leave just a handful of huge nodes that go much deeper, and openness of 0 gives you more like large tunnels and smaller nodes, but still cavernous as long as density if 0, still large enough to build cool things in, and they will tend to be very deep.

If you want cool cliff dwellings, go for the 0 openness.  If you want a good chance of a straight drop for maximum distance, go for more like 30 openness.

You can think of it sort of like "the cavern has a certain amount of volume of tiles it takes up at a given density value, and the less open it is, the more it has to twist around and go vertically to meet its quota, so it goes deeper, but if it is too twisty, you won't have straight lines that go deep, even if the whole system does"

Similarly, if you want huge uniform expanses of unbroken rock, try to embark on a granite-likely area, and set advanced worldgen to have a very deep "above layer 3" or 4.

Thanks, I like tinkering with the advanced world gen so this is very useful information. I currently have a rather deep third cavern myself, although it's nowhere near 80 Z levels. It's more like a couple of dozen deep but it has cool cliff-side shelves protruding from the walls which is kinda neat. Aside for that one cool deep sub cavern the layout under my current fortress is an absolute flooded mess of spaghetti. I think it might be part of the reason I don't seem to be getting FBs.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:56:31 pm by Melting Sky »

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 07:54:12 am »

Man I just had the opposite experience. I had the magma sea at like 90z and the surface of the tundra is 114z.... Everything is smooshed together.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 08:37:58 am »

Imgur and most of other image hosting sites are inaccessible from where I am.

Try http://www.deviantart.com/
That ought to work for you.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 08:48:03 am »

Fixed that for you.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 08:52:36 am »

Try http://www.deviantart.com/
That ought to work for you.

cool, it works.

Fixed that for you.

Thank you very much!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 08:53:59 am »

Man I just had the opposite experience. I had the magma sea at like 90z and the surface of the tundra is 114z.... Everything is smooshed together.
I guess there was a hell of a lot of space...in hell.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 [2]