Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 11 Vampires and 4 Were-Elephants  (Read 1251 times)

Gravitybeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
11 Vampires and 4 Were-Elephants
« on: June 14, 2014, 06:10:05 pm »

I was playing on a map to try to learn how to create a military and metalworking system (Without magma for now, as I'm going to try to figure out how pressure and pumpstacks with less fun materials first) when I noticed that first dire message of someone being drained of blood.  I've been mostly trying to run a good fortress (IE, one that is unlikely to tantrum spiral) and figure out how to get food production running smoothly so I wasn't screening migrants or anything.

Today I took a look and was shocked to see what I found. Eleven Vampires- all cursed by the same god in the same place (though this may mean that they all come from one sire, I'm not sure. I've not had any blood contamination, so I can't see how it's spread unless they spread by feeding now?) and four Were-Elephants, all cursed by the same god in the same place, though it's a different god from the vampire's.

At this point I have a population of about fifty. I've not experienced a full moon yet, but it's only a matter of time. I don't know a lot about this game aside from basic crafting and farming.

I suppose my questions boils down to "How common is this?" "Should I just write this map off as lost?" "What can I do to prevent it?" and perhaps most importantly "How can I use this for personal gain?"

Also, does anyone know if were-beasts and vampires are likely to duke it out, like in the movies? Or am I going to have to build an arena to force this?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Vampires and 4 Were-Elephants
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:34:49 pm »

1) I have never had anything like that happen ever.

2) You should ride that fort to the end. Record what happens on the first full moon, please!

3) Got nothin'.

4) Draft 10 Vampires into a military unit, and put the last one in a sealed room filled with expensive happy-thought items. You will have an awesome vampire squad, and a fortress failsafe if everything goes south. I suggest infecting as many dwarves as possible with... Pachythropy? Make more were-elephants is what I'm getting at here.

Finally, I don't think they aren't MORE likely to duke it out, but I'm pretty sure your transformed were-a-phants are going to indescriminately bash anything near them into the consistency of tapioca pudding, vampire or no.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 06:48:57 pm »

I think you would need to use bridges if you wanted to seal the were-elephants in anywhere because were-creatures are building destroyers.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 07:04:09 pm »

Definitely agree with dunamisdeos, ride it out.  Can't you trade for barrels of blood from caravans?  Vampire fortress? :P
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:48:04 pm »

I suspect the situation isn't what you think it is. Let me explain.

I assume you were looking at the gods' relationship lists, or looking them up in legends mode. In either case, seeing that the gods cursed urist mcdefiler does not necessarily mean he's in your fort. And if you have 50 dwarves, then that means you've gotten at least three migrant waves, which means you've had somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-10 full moons already. And if you had more than one vampire, you would have more than one corpse already, assuming they came in the same migrant wave. I'm pretty sure, they enter the map with their "I need blood!" cooldown full, so they would be feeding around the same time if they arrived together.

Also, I don't think you can get vampires in the first two migrants waves, and I don't think you can get werebeast migrants at all. They become enemies of your civ the first time they trnsform in world gen, and always enter the map with an announcement, even if they aren't in beast form.

So don't panic! Just track down the blood sucker you have and put him to some nefarious use.

As an aside, I would pay good money for a fort with the situation you described! I'll bet a lot of other players would, too.

As a disclaimer, I'm only 70-85% certain of everything I just wrote.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 12:33:50 am »

Were-Elephants makes me think of Boatmurdered. I suppose anything elephant related might.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 12:40:04 am »

Definitely agree with dunamisdeos, ride it out.  Can't you trade for barrels of blood from caravans?  Vampire fortress? :P

I wish it worked like that.  would be kinda cool if you could feed your pet vampires with imported blood.  Even better if you could feed em captured goblins/elves, actually I guess that would still be imported blood.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 12:45:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 12:51:58 am »

Haha nice
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Gravitybeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 06:19:01 am »

Thank you all so much for your advice!

I assume you were looking at the gods' relationship lists, or looking them up in legends mode. In either case, seeing that the gods cursed urist mcdefiler does not necessarily mean he's in your fort. And if you have 50 dwarves, then that means you've gotten at least three migrant waves, which means you've had somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-10 full moons already. And if you had more than one vampire, you would have more than one corpse already, assuming they came in the same migrant wave. I'm pretty sure, they enter the map with their "I need blood!" cooldown full, so they would be feeding around the same time if they arrived together.

I don't know what you mean by god's relationships, but I was actually looking at my units, one by one and checking their relationship screens. However you're probably right about the full moon thing- I honestly didn't think of it because I would have assumed I would get an announcement. I haven't gotten any invasions yet, but there's a forgotten beast wandering around and as far as I can tell, it's only maybe the 3rd-4th year. I've had the two standard migrant waves and then maybe three more? I don't know how much that is in terms of time.

Despite this I've only found one drained corpse- mind you, there might be others I can't see.

Draft 10 Vampires into a military unit, and put the last one in a sealed room filled with expensive happy-thought items. You will have an awesome vampire squad, and a fortress failsafe if everything goes south. I suggest infecting as many dwarves as possible with... Pachythropy? Make more were-elephants is what I'm getting at here.

I like this plan, but I have to ask, how do I make MORE? I read the Wiki and it says anyone attacked by a were-beast will become that beast, but at the same time I can't picture a werepachy leaving ANYTHING alive. Still, all that means is that I have to keep up my no-military policy until the next full moon.

As an aside, I would pay good money for a fort with the situation you described! I'll bet a lot of other players would, too.
If someone told me how to save DF files and offer them to others, I would happily go over to the main thread and offer it to anyone who would take it. I don't think I can make the fullest of this situation due to inexperience, but I'd be absolutely jazzed to see what other people do.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 08:00:20 am »

If someone told me how to save DF files and offer them to others, I would happily go over to the main thread and offer it to anyone who would take it. I don't think I can make the fullest of this situation due to inexperience, but I'd be absolutely jazzed to see what other people do.

Inside your Dwarf Fortress play directory, there should be a data/save/ subdirectory.  Inside that, there should be one directory for each world you've generated (region1, region2 and so on).  Use your favorite compression/archiving program to compress the region directory that you want to share, and then upload the resulting compressed archive file to http://dffd.wimbli.com/ or any other file-sharing site.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 10:38:04 am »

I know you can make more vampires by having dwarves drink water contaminated with vamp blood. Pretty sure you have to survive a werebeast attack.

Maybe if you put a lot of dwarves in the room with it, it'll switch targets instead of smooshing one dwarf, thereby increasing the survival rate?

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 01:08:10 pm »

I know you can make more vampires by having dwarves drink water contaminated with vamp blood. Pretty sure you have to survive a werebeast attack.

Maybe if you put a lot of dwarves in the room with it, it'll switch targets instead of smooshing one dwarf, thereby increasing the survival rate?
You can just have one dwarf at a time, wearing full armor except either one gauntlet or one boot. They may still get their skulls crushed by the blunt force trauma, but that isn't too likely, I don't think.

Gravitybeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 02:33:18 pm »

You can just have one dwarf at a time, wearing full armor except either one gauntlet or one boot. They may still get their skulls crushed by the blunt force trauma, but that isn't too likely, I don't think.
That sounds like a good plan, but will something like leather armor work? I've uncovered nothing but Galena and Cassiterite so far (though I am not the best at strip mining yet- again, I mostly know farming and crafting) and all I've made from it is silver warhammers. I don't know how good silver armor is, so I haven't made any, in the hopes I might be able to find something better than tin and less heavy than silver.

Inside your Dwarf Fortress play directory, there should be a data/save/ subdirectory.  Inside that, there should be one directory for each world you've generated (region1, region2 and so on).  Use your favorite compression/archiving program to compress the region directory that you want to share, and then upload the resulting compressed archive file to http://dffd.wimbli.com/ or any other file-sharing site.
Okay, so just being clear- if I take the region file and compress it, it will contain my fortress as well, in addition to all of the world history and the world in general? I don't want to send people an empty world when it's the fort that's notable.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 05:19:18 pm »

That sounds like a good plan, but will something like leather armor work? I've uncovered nothing but Galena and Cassiterite so far (though I am not the best at strip mining yet- again, I mostly know farming and crafting) and all I've made from it is silver warhammers. I don't know how good silver armor is, so I haven't made any, in the hopes I might be able to find something better than tin and less heavy than silver.

You can't make silver armor.  Unfortunately, neither galena (silver + lead) nor cassiterite (tin) gives you a metal that you can make into armor.  Not by themselves, anyway.  Until you find some copper or iron, you're stuck with leather/bone armor.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: [1] 2