Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 11 Vampires and 4 Were-Elephants  (Read 1250 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Vampires and 4 Were-Elephants
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 05:23:43 pm »

If your embark has no metal, you can order it from the outpost liason. Order iron ores, copper ores, copper bars, iron bars, pig iron bars, steel bars, bronze bars, bismuth bronze bars and marble (other fluxstones too) and coal or charcoal. For every stone you get 4 bars, and if you maximize the order, you get 4 stones per ore. That means 16 bars per ore type. If your civilization is quite well off in the ores department you can get over a hundred bars per caravan, even if they aren't, you can always buy 4 steel bars, 4 bronze bars and 4 bismuth bronze bars, plus the anvils which can be melted down, plus steel armor and weapons, and since you have tin ore, you can also make a good deal of bronze using imported copper, this means you can always outfit at least one or two military dwarves per year.

Leather armor doesn't do much compared with ordinary clothing, it's a bit of an improvement, but unlike metal armor it doesn't make your dwarves totally immune to certain attack types. Leather and wooden shields are just as good for defense as metal shields but a dwarf needs to be conscious to use a shield, which hampers their utility in a semi-controlled mauling.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:28:37 pm by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Gravitybeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 06:21:12 pm »

If your embark has no metal, you can order it from the outpost liason. Order iron ores, copper ores, copper bars, iron bars, pig iron bars, steel bars, bronze bars, bismuth bronze bars and marble (other fluxstones too) and coal or charcoal. For every stone you get 4 bars, and if you maximize the order, you get 4 stones per ore. That means 16 bars per ore type. If your civilization is quite well off in the ores department you can get over a hundred bars per caravan, even if they aren't, you can always buy 4 steel bars, 4 bronze bars and 4 bismuth bronze bars, plus the anvils which can be melted down, plus steel armor and weapons, and since you have tin ore, you can also make a good deal of bronze using imported copper, this means you can always outfit at least one or two military dwarves per year.

Leather armor doesn't do much compared with ordinary clothing, it's a bit of an improvement, but unlike metal armor it doesn't make your dwarves totally immune to certain attack types. Leather and wooden shields are just as good for defense as metal shields but a dwarf needs to be conscious to use a shield, which hampers their utility in a semi-controlled mauling.

I do have marble in abundance. Does that mean goblinite is an option? Also, is there anything to do with Lead? It's just kind of sitting there, being all bar-like.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 06:40:52 pm »

Lead has few uses unless you want to color something black.

But yes, goblinite is always an option.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 06:51:09 pm »

I do have marble in abundance. Does that mean goblinite is an option? Also, is there anything to do with Lead? It's just kind of sitting there, being all bar-like.

Goblinite copper can be combined with tin, for bronze. You can turn the goblinite iron into steel with the help of marble. Hence your options for making superior weapons and armour out of goblinite are very good.
Lead is not good for much, but it's probably a good material for weaponized minecarts.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Gravitybeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 06:55:36 pm »

I'll make sure to play with some gobboes then. There's a forgotten beast wandering around in the caves now, but I'm going to ignore it for now- it doesn't appear to be too bad, just a big beetle really, but it would seem that it has blood-based syndrome.

Here's the file for anyone who wants to give it a shot. I've also started a post in the main discussion thread to see what people do with it. Thanks so much for all your help!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 07:06:16 pm »

Downloading. I want to see this fort with all of its crazy were-vampire-pachyderm-monsters. Update pending.

Update 1: Can I say how pleased I am that you named it Pachythropy? Not in words, I can't.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:08:41 pm by dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 07:23:22 pm »

DFHack and Dwarf Therapist can't seem to find any more than one vampire, and no were-beasts.

The vampire's real name is Tosid Zugobdoren, but in the fort he is calling himself Urvad Etesfikod.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 07:25:41 pm »

Just came to the same conclusion using cursecheck. One cursed creature.

Would you mind posting where you saw all of these vampires and werebeasts? It really sounds like you were looking at legends mode.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 07:33:21 pm »

I've played through a couple of months, and there hasn't been any major events, aside from a birth.

I don't believe you have any cursed residents, aside from your vampiric minerboy. Which makes sense, as were-beasts shouldn't even show up as migrants in the first place, unless it's a retired adventurer or cursed residents from a previous fort.

Gravitybeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 02:43:25 pm »

Yeah, I'm so sorry! I'm pretty new at this; I think I misread the relationships screen! False alarm.

Nonetheless, I learned quite a bit from this thread. I appreciate all the responses!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »

Heh Heh! No problem. Enjoy your vampire.

I still reccommend locking it in a room.
Pages: 1 [2]