Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 79925 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #255 on: December 20, 2015, 09:15:30 pm »

You can make supply ships.

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 21, 2015, 09:05:54 am »

The huge negative number reload times is a bug that got in the last patch. I think Nick is already fixing it so it should be gone soon if not already.

http://imgur.com/a/11Jqt

I need to stop building these 30k+ block ships that kill my fps. I never get to finish them...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 23, 2015, 05:35:26 pm »

I got into this some days ago and got myself hooked. I'm usualy very wary of voxel based building games, since I personaly find minecraft really, really boring, but this one is legitimaly interesting and has a lot of fun gameplay mechanics tied into one sweet, fun game full of custom content. I guess the reason I like this while also disliking minecraft is because the stuff I build has actual purpose and functions depending on how I build it, and the game actualy challenges me on the same levels of gameplay avaliable to me.

I just made myself my first submarine thing with 12 size 11  fragmentation/exploding warhead torpedoes. I have no idea how the naval AI is going to handle it, but everything else seems fine.

Now, here's the question: how practical are torpedo sonar systems and heat guidance in regards to torpedoes/missiles? I haven't tried using non laser guided missile weapons yet, but properly positioning the laser designators can be kind of a hassle.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 24, 2015, 01:18:02 pm »

I got into this some days ago and got myself hooked. I'm usualy very wary of voxel based building games, since I personaly find minecraft really, really boring, but this one is legitimaly interesting and has a lot of fun gameplay mechanics tied into one sweet, fun game full of custom content. I guess the reason I like this while also disliking minecraft is because the stuff I build has actual purpose and functions depending on how I build it, and the game actualy challenges me on the same levels of gameplay avaliable to me.

I just made myself my first submarine thing with 12 size 11  fragmentation/exploding warhead torpedoes. I have no idea how the naval AI is going to handle it, but everything else seems fine.

Now, here's the question: how practical are torpedo sonar systems and heat guidance in regards to torpedoes/missiles? I haven't tried using non laser guided missile weapons yet, but properly positioning the laser designators can be kind of a hassle.
I think that sonar may be the best choice for torpedoes-they require no input from the launching ship and cannot be spoofed by smoke or flares/heat decoys. They only work underwater, though. IR Seekers also are "fire and forget", and can have, with the addition of a camera  (the camera can make the missiles target center of mass, shields, or random blocks.) That said, IR missiles are quite vulnerable to being spoofed by flares, which is probably going to become a problem now that you can design engines to "run cold".

All said, I prefer IR/Sonar over laser guidance due to the fact that they don't need any input from the launching vessel, which makes IR/Sonar systems much less vulnerable to damage.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 24, 2015, 01:41:52 pm »

Ooh, I just thought of something. With exhausts can you vent the heat underwater? And if so, does the water help spread the heat?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 24, 2015, 04:45:09 pm »

The exhausts will dissipate the heat the same speed as if they are in the water or in the air. However the infrared seekers are supposed to target the spot the exhaust exits so if you put them in a smokestack or something the missiles should for the top of that instead of where the engine is located. At least that was the plan, I haven't actually tested if it works yet...it does make some nice looking smoke coming out the funnel though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 24, 2015, 05:51:19 pm »

Sonar seems to be working fine. This reduced the total ammount of laser designators popping from my my submarine's hull to just one, to guide the six anti air missiles I keep on it just in case (luckily they can be launched from deep under the sea and still manage to reach the surface and fly towards targets, thanks to ejectors).

Currently trying to make a huge bomber ship thing, which is probably not such a hot idea since its my first plane ever :v, but I'm getting a lot of hints on how to properly make one by looking at built-in plane designs. Also, lightweight alloy is expensive >:v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 25, 2015, 12:52:25 pm »

Hey, I was wondering where this topic was!

Being one of the Keepers of the Lore for the game, you'd think I'd be more active in promoting it here, but alas ;~;

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 29, 2015, 07:32:56 pm »

Recently gave up on my sub design (even though it worked fine) and turned its hull into a flying double pulse laser cannon thing that can shoot from 40 kilometers away :v, it kinda costs over a million resource to build, though.

Deepwater Guard is gone. I heavily modified a rather inefficiently expensive NPC ship and retrofitted it with better cannons and a thumper head super fast missile battery thing. The result is a big but cheap ship that can quickly take down stuff thats more than quadrupe its resource cost (as long as its not shielded, then its in trouble if the thumper heads can't reach it)

I did a lot of tinkering with lasers lately and damn, I didn't notice just how much laser qswitches can affect the power and range of a laser weapon:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 30, 2015, 04:06:33 pm »

Does anyone know how the recoil dampeners work for the advanced cannons?  It didn't seem to want to connect with the gun, no matter where I placed it.

Ended up settling for a missile battery instead for my prototype starter ship.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 30, 2015, 04:10:26 pm »

The bit with the knob goes onto the side of a gauge increase/cooler unit. So it looks sorta like

{}
P[]
|[]
|
where the {} is the main block of it, the [] is a gague increase/cooler unit, and the P and the | are parts of the recoil dampeners
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 30, 2015, 06:18:46 pm »

Sometimes, when I have to change the depth of my submarine and start running around in hallways  punching the glass windows to let the water in some sections for going deeper or press buttons to turn on hot air baloons and shoot  with blunderbuss the wooden logs supporting lead weights to go higher, I have a feeling, that this is not how real navy submarines work  ??? .
How do I make depth control system in more interesting way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 30, 2015, 07:06:00 pm »

Sometimes, when I have to change the depth of my submarine and start running around in hallways  punching the glass windows to let the water in some sections for going deeper or press buttons to turn on hot air baloons and shoot  with blunderbuss the wooden logs supporting lead weights to go higher, I have a feeling, that this is not how real navy submarines work  ??? .

Unfortunately the only reasonable way to make a submarine is to use LUA

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 30, 2015, 07:38:00 pm »

The bit with the knob goes onto the side of a gauge increase/cooler unit. So it looks sorta like

{}
P[]
|[]
|
where the {} is the main block of it, the [] is a gague increase/cooler unit, and the P and the | are parts of the recoil dampeners

I figured out what I did wrong.  The absorbers are placed on an offset, so they're supposed to lay flat onto the gauge part.  Thanks tho
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 31, 2015, 10:28:19 am »

Unfortunately the only reasonable way to make a submarine is to use LUA
Or tons of ACBs. Though LUA is probably better on the whole.

However, dropping ballast to rise is 100% realistic :P
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33