Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 79910 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #285 on: May 07, 2016, 08:17:16 pm »

11m/s = 660 m/m, that's 6.6 km every ten minutes 19.8 km every half hour, and 39.6 kph, that may just be one of the fastest naval warships I've ever heard of.

Okay, looked up some modern stats, 21 knots isn't incredibly fast, but it is still respectable.  That 21 knots is faster than the Independence's cruise speed of 18 knots, but well below it's top seed of 44 knots.

Oh wow yes it's indeed fast. 11m/s was the original speed with a flat (unfinished) hull. I'm working on turning it into catamaran now. Already up to 15m/s (29knots). :D

Another question: I built my ship out of wood blocks. Is there anyway to quickly convert all these wood blocks into light alloy blocks?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 07, 2016, 09:50:43 pm »

There isn't an easy way in game, no.

Someone on the FtD forum made a external program to modify blueprint files, though.  It can convert one material block into another.  I haven't tried it myself, but it might do.

Before you ask, your boat blueprint files are located in your My Documents folder.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 07, 2016, 10:31:08 pm »

Someone on the FtD forum made a external program to modify blueprint files, though.  It can convert one material block into another.  I haven't tried it myself, but it might do.

Before you ask, your boat blueprint files are located in your My Documents folder.

You, Sir, are awesome! That block converter works perfectly. I present you, my first ever ship in From the Depths:

http://imgur.com/VTFddsS

Her catamaran hull allows her to reach 15m/s (29 knots). She only needs to be fitted with Weapon AIs and shields. She uses R2400 Redline engine and has tons of unused power left for shielding. Not sure if the engine is an overkill, I can downgrade to 1000 or 800HP for better efficiency if required.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 08, 2016, 03:02:33 am »

I've dropped some empty hull on my workshop, from 30 to 200 meters, all with balanced metal/wood armor

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197986674427/myworkshopfiles/?appid=268650

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 08, 2016, 05:43:34 am »

You, Sir, are awesome! That block converter works perfectly. I present you, my first ever ship in From the Depths:

http://imgur.com/VTFddsS

Her catamaran hull allows her to reach 15m/s (29 knots). She only needs to be fitted with Weapon AIs and shields. She uses R2400 Redline engine and has tons of unused power left for shielding. Not sure if the engine is an overkill, I can downgrade to 1000 or 800HP for better efficiency if required.

That thing looks absolutely awesome! Good job :D

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 08, 2016, 06:59:13 am »

I really like the job you did there, my early designs aren't anywhere near as nice (tho' my Takeya class, looks good, it needs a total refit), but I don't like to crib existing designs, so that makes my progress somewhat slower.

I hope your aircraft designs are just as nice (oh gods my Strikehawk looks stupid, kills everything, but looks so very stupid.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 08, 2016, 08:54:45 am »

I'm still playing this one and off. Been trying to make an effective airship that uses heavy cannons and can sustain a lot of damage.

I made some odd tank like ships with really powerful cannons. I feel making really absurdly powerful cannons at the moment is a bit too easy, to the point that every other weapon except lasers is kinda bleh in comparison. Missiles have too short of a range and dont pack enough power to be of much use in comparison to a 500mm cannon that fires heavy explosive shells at a rate of near 0.1 seconds between shots.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 08, 2016, 09:56:18 am »

Thanks guys, I'm very happy with the way her look turns out. She now has weapon and naval AIs. I upgraded her 120mm deck gun, so it is more protected, can fire slightly faster, and has  greater turret traverse range. Here's her slightly improved look.

If she keeps her distance away from enemy, she can survive well, thanks to her 3-strength shields all around. I cannot increase the shield strength anymore as they tax the engine too much. A possible solution is to upgrade to R3200 Redline engine (created by Ruger).

Her weakness is missiles, as sometimes they can penetrate her shields. I angle my shields, but the missile trajectory means they hit the shields at close to 90-degree angle. I know I can add CIWS, but I don't want to alter her look. I suppose I can assign 2 of the missile bays to missile defense-only.

I'm still learning and would appreciate feedback. If I upload this to Steam workshop, would anyone be kind enough to have a look at her and point out how she can be improved?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 08, 2016, 03:56:07 pm »

Spent most of last night constructing a 1.2 million RP supertank, it currently features (on its turret, the hull weapons are not yet built) two 500mm rail cannons, twelve length 5 IR missiles (frag and explosive, as noted earlier in the thread) and twenty VLS length three frag missiles for AA.  I'm planning on eighteen ACS 'infinite repeater' style rapid-fire guns on the sponsons, just so I can make any bolo joke I want while deploying it.  It has 4800 HP, so I'll likely throw some heavy shields on it for good measure, but two meters of armor is very respectable on its own.  It also goes 30 m/s.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 08, 2016, 10:58:50 pm »

Sheesh. I cannot seem to actually make proper armor or guns.
I've been testing my designs against the Deepwater Guard Marauder boats. Which operate with paddles, large amounts of cannons on the side, and a single large CRAM cannon on the front.

Most recently I've tried making a 500mm advanced cannon. While I can reliably win against the marauder, it's mainly just because I have infinite supplies in vehicle designer mode. The advanced cannon can reliably make holes in the Marauders, but it always takes a ton of hits to actually cripple the marauders. Is this normal and should I just have a ton of different cannons/guns? I assume it's not normal because it seems to be not that substantial of a hole in a ship that's almost 100% wood.
I've also tried missiles and CRAM cannons. Both of which have a similar degree of success.

Armor is a completely different story. With my current setup I have a 100% metal exterior with 3 layers of light alloy on the inside. One shot from the Marauder's CRAM cannon can punch a large hole clean through it. Plus it's hard to both focus on structural integrity and have something resembling a ship instead of a floating rectangular prism. Do I just design my ship with redundancy and layers so one hole doesn't flood the entire ship then?

Because right now all my designs capable of winning against the Marauder have a huge budget compared to the marauder.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 09, 2016, 12:14:55 am »

Your ship's interior should be compartmentalized, split up into multiple rooms.  If you get a hull breach, only one of those rooms should flood.  Also, consider using shields.  Even low powered shields will bounce cram shots every now and again.  You could also use speed, as cram shells have low velocity.  The broadsides look scary, but they do almost no damage, especially to metal.

What sort of shell are you firing?  In my experience fragmentation works best against wooden ships.

You could also attach the Aim Point Selection card to the AI.  It allows the gun to aim directly at important parts of enemy ships, rather than randomly as it does by default.

Marauders also seem to tank a bunch of hits because of the way they are configured.  Most of the interior is hollow, and all the very important bits are below the water line.  It has two big ammo stores below the water near the front and rear, and the AI and repair bots are between them.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 09, 2016, 03:44:26 am »

Most recently I've tried making a 500mm advanced cannon.

Advanced cannons are best for low caliber stuff, 500mm is pushing it too far, especially if you're going for he or aphe.

250mm aphe can made to work, if you put enough railgun energy behind it, otherwise 120-150 mm sabot/heat. they aren't even't good anymore for anti aircraft since the nerf, being outclassed by lasers :/

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 09, 2016, 07:52:18 am »

My ship has coloured bars, which to my understanding, are indicating its logistics supply level (fuel, ammo, etc.). How do I get rid of it? I must've accidentally pressed something to turn the bars on.

EDIT: Those are called resource bars and can be turned on/off using "R".
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:57:55 am by BuriBuriZaemon »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2016, 04:32:34 pm »

It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 02, 2016, 05:14:52 pm »

Lead at the bottom gives you more freedom to make nice shape as opposed to engineeringly sound

You can attach turret to the bottom of the hull if you leave a hole big enough on the deck for them to rotate, so that you can have effective cannons that arent ridicolously tall, also because big tall stuff will capsize you in no time

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33