Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 79888 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2014, 03:21:37 am »

What sort of ironclad? Monitor, Merrimack or Union ironclad riverboats? (Which where sorta like the Merrimack with armored turrets)

Along the concept of the monitor. Basically, I prefer designs which are either flat-topped or with highly sloped armor where only the main deck is above water. It makes for interesting designs you might find in a Hayo Miyazaki movie and reduced damage from cannons. Ive been attempting to create a large plane which is basically a fortress that flys. (not a flying fortress in the wwii bomber sense, but in just a huge plane used as a flagship)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2014, 04:50:58 am »

I am waiting for the coop multiplayer, it's pretty fun already singleplayer, but showing off infront of friends is always better, ain't it?

My mainstay is simple rocket lauchers on ballons, underwater-lead-weighted structures and of course, the personal high speed ram-rod to jam into enemy ships and wreck havoc yourself.
I personally would like to have something like a small engine that is not modular, something that just runs and gives enough energy for a tiny ship for a hour or so without the hassel of electrical generators.

Oh and couldn't you build a ship that has a vehicle spawner (building itself again) and a trigger that makes it spawn itself and build it 10 sec after completion?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2014, 07:16:01 am »

You can get it in this bundle with 3 other games.

https://www.blinkbundle.com/the-hidden-gems-bundle-2/

Thanks for the info, grabbed a cheap spare copy to give to someone at some point.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2014, 02:47:14 pm »

Spent some hours fiddling with the game today.

Oh boy. The potential is there. Eventually made this boat with allow underpinnings, a lead keel for weight, and a metal top. It had an absurdly gigantic engine in the hold, was too fast for its own good, had lots of water pumps to keep the hold dry, and its sole purpose was to bring to bear a gigantic cannon.

It has that feel that you can build absolutely EPIC pieces of machinery. I love it so far, and I was only in the vehicle builder!
For the air pump you only need 1 airpump per *closed* room, anymore is total waste unless you really want redundancy, but filling a keep with airpump is counterproductive.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2014, 05:39:44 pm »

aauuugh frustration with this game sets in again.
AI a shit, doesn't even work and I have no idea why. It's like all the AI aspects of this game make a concerted decision to not work. Radars completely fail to pick up targets, missiles fly off in a direction that is not at all an enemy even when I'm directing them, just...
uuuuuugh
this fucking game

EDIT: And then watching Aavak's videos to see if there's anything I can pick up on and it seems like he hasn't placed any radar or any sort of target attaining devices anywhere.
Once again: This Fucking Game.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:56:19 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2014, 05:59:15 pm »

If you look at season one of Aavaks series he mentions at some point that radar dosent do anything yet besides lag you, the laser tracker things are short range, etc.

For the missiles, dunno about that.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2014, 06:32:59 pm »

So the things that are taught as being crucial for a weapon system to function are in fact completely useless?
Well I managed to do the thing I wanted to do. Learned some things about ships that are practical too. Namely: make the ship really fucking heavy so it doesn't fall over, and make it wide because fitting things in is hell otherwise.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2014, 06:34:57 pm »

Missles become useless after a certain lenght (more then 8 missle blocks is just silly), there are other ways to target besides a Radar : )

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2014, 06:37:18 pm »

You want it really heavy at the bottom, not at the top or all-over...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2014, 06:43:04 pm »

Yes, that would be obvious to anyone. But the amount you need? Wasn't expecting it to be so much. And integrating more metal into designs would probably alleviate the ridiculous levels of buoyancy too.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2014, 07:09:59 pm »

Yes, that would be obvious to anyone. But the amount you need? Wasn't expecting it to be so much. And integrating more metal into designs would probably alleviate the ridiculous levels of buoyancy too.

use a lead keel?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2014, 07:16:00 pm »

Yes that is the thing that needs to be done. It just looks a bit silly, with a huge lead ridge jutting out the bottom.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2014, 07:21:25 pm »

Yes that is the thing that needs to be done. It just looks a bit silly, with a huge lead ridge jutting out the bottom.

IF you put like 2-3 blocks of lead along the whole length it should be fine. How big is this boat anyhow?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2014, 06:02:57 am »

Grak, for the missiles going at random places where no enemies are there may be multiple reasons. If the missiles aren't turret-mounted or pointing away from enemies in the first place, you'll probably need a "one turn" component on them so they turn the way you're looking(or the way the AI is aiming) after launch. If you have an AI in control of the missiles and they keep firing, you need to go change the settings on the missile controller and check that circle at the top that says something like "extra constraints" and then give the AI rules for firing the missiles I usually give it about 25 degrees in all direction so it only fires at angles the heat-seeking missiles can see targets at(they have a limited field of vision).
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2014, 08:07:35 am »

It's pretty much a rougher version of space engineers with AI and planetary combat... and i got it relatively cheap in that bundle so yay me.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33