Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 79887 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2016, 10:49:32 am »

On sale at IndieGameStand for $4: https://indiegamestand.com/deal/ :)

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 01, 2016, 11:53:31 pm »

Note- this game is really, really fun.
Best $4 I've ever spent.

Interesting little ship.  How much does it cost in materials?  How'd you get it to go 30 m/s?

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 03, 2016, 10:03:46 pm »

Can we have the blueprint?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 05, 2017, 09:30:39 am »

This game....

Good god it is destroying my time. I got into it after watching Robbaz' Pilkington Fleet series.

I haven't even started the campaign yet and I've put in 40+ hours already just designing vehicles in preparation for it.

I'm not much for Minecraft games but this has just enough SCIENCE in it to make me overlook its blockiness. Plus watching fragmentation rounds go tearing through a ship at .01x speed never gets old.

I figure I've got 3 or 4 more vehicles to make until I'm ready to start the campaign. Already have several classes of ship from littoral up to dreadnoughts already built. Kind of holding off to build my WTF Super Cruiser, Aircraft carrier and other silly stuff until I've actually played a little bit. And there's tanks to make now, too.

Question if anyone knows: how do you make downward firing or dead-drop release missiles/torpedoes/bombs? Tried two different configurations, one with them lying horizontal and the other with them pointing down vertically. I could get the downward facing ones to fire using Manual Control if I pointed my view at the sea floor. But the AI wouldn't fire them at targets on the water line, regardless of laser designation or sonar. And the forward facing ones I couldn't get to fire at all. I'd set the Azimuth and Elevation restrictions for them both to point straight down but they never quite seemed to work. I've seen other people do this in videos but haven't found a good tutorial.

Basically, similarly to how airplanes drop unguided bombs, I'd like my ship to drop unguided torpedoes that just fall out of the rack and then the guidance and thrusters kick on a second or two later once it's clear of the ship.

Second question: do Laser Emitters pay attention to the Local Weapon Controller's firing restrictions? Seems like at the range I want to fire, my Laser Emitters work and paint targets, and under the range they just kind of stop paying attention to anything. 

Lastly: I read above about someone testing against the Marauder. I've also been using it as my litmus test for a ship's combat potential and....I have yet to build a ship that can take a hit from that cannon. Even my 40,000 material dreadnought with a triple thick hull gets instantly opened up by it, and it usually punches out a huge chunk of the hull regardless of where it hits. Frags turrets immediately too. I've watched a fair amount of the mid to late game as well, and I honestly think that gun is way, way OP for the level the game implies it's at.

All in all, I love this game. It's got all the mechanics and and design joy of like, Battletech for me, with the added bonus of being visually creative too. Fights that aren't a complete curbstomping are actually interestingly dynamic because, in the case of the Marauder, a single shell can change the battle dramatically 1v1, and it's fun to watch how it unfolds.

On the other hand, it's a little deflating to see a huge expensive ship you spent 6 hours building and perfecting get hulled in the first shot from an enemy ship.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:43:18 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 05, 2017, 10:51:36 am »

Ya need anti ordnance advanced cannon to kill these big ass slow cram cannon shells. Or use shield and hope enemy doesnt use inertia fuse in there shell.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 05, 2017, 11:50:40 am »

Yeah I've already worked out Anti-Ordinance cannons (for missiles anyways, that took about 6 hours of fucking around.) From what I've seen very few ships sport a cram shell quite that large for a long time, so I'm not too concerned about it. FWIW my ships still beat the Marauder 4/5 times even when it hulls them. You tell your AI to prioritize weapons and after the first couple volleys you've turned the Marauder into a glorified canoe.

Only kinda sucks when you're spawning them in vehicle designer because they pop in like 700m or less away from you and instantly open up with dat cannon.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 05, 2017, 11:54:12 am »

I find just being faster being the way to defeat the derp gun.

Or in the air
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 05, 2017, 01:07:01 pm »

Looks like the balance update is comming out with a fair bit of changes, but the biggest thing is the dev's side project, which should change the game quite a bit, with cannons not being so full of murder, armor being cheaper and better, vessel speed cap being tremendously increased, etc. Now people will actualy have to bother with specialized armor piercing ammo and cannons to deal with armor.

Aalso, the dev is working on a side project called Forgotten Shores, which is basically FtD but with more realistic mechanics and what seems to be 4x civilization building, and it sounds pretty great. The pre alpha is supposed to come out soon.

I've been taking stabs at the Ashes of the Empires campaign, but this game really wasn't made with ground vehicles in mind, and it shows.

Anyway, the marauder is no big deal, just use a vessel fast enough to not care about the cram shells or use an anti-ordinance gun. Shields are also ok but they take so much power that its usualy not worth it.

One way to deal with seabound vessels is torpedoes, since they can have ridiculous range and used to have no counters. Right now there are sonar buoys you can use to create torpedo decoys, but I'm not sure if DWG vessels use them much, if at all. Also, even with the nerfs, rapid fire advanced cannons are still king.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:17:19 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 05, 2017, 01:19:27 pm »

Dev is also considering removing multiplayer so... until that is resolved I don't suggest jumping on if that is in anyway a big draw for you.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 03, 2017, 09:48:21 pm »

Hey all, Just wondering, Would anyone be interested in making a campaign with me once the balance update is released. I've been thinking on setting, theme, and construction guidelines.

PM me or reply if you are interested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 18, 2017, 08:26:37 pm »

This thread, it rises... from the depths. *blam*

Update released today, the balance patch apparently. It also has quite a few major graphical improvements. One of the things I noticed while admiring the fantastic new ocean was the fact that missiles can now deflect off armor without exploding(possibly because of->), and can be thrown off course by the explosions of other missiles.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 18, 2017, 08:51:36 pm »

Yeah the change list was huge. Kind of glossed over it. I really need to get back to FTD sometime and actually start the campaign. Just spent all my time prototyping ships so far.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 18, 2017, 10:25:36 pm »

The simple weapons were also reworked recently to not just be a waste of megabytes.  They can be quite formidable now.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 19, 2017, 04:42:33 am »

Just spent all my time prototyping ships so far.

Same. So far I've got a few small boats, a working destroyer, a not-working destroyer(I screwed up saving over the blueprint), a missile frigate, and recently completed a pretty decent cruiser.

Still need at least a cargo ship or three, a mining/refining platform or something, at least one type of carrier, various aircraft, and maybe a massive-sized battleship.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 19, 2017, 05:41:23 pm »

Pretty much where I'm at. Speed boat for the player to do capture with, Light Custom Gun attack boat, light missile boat, medium anti-missile boat, advanced gun boat, medium missile boat, spy balloon (shamelessly stolen from an LP), heavy dreadnought with two variants. Still need subs, various aircraft, cruiser, aircraft carrier, cargo ships, oil rigs, heavier class variants of the ships I've already built, hydrofoil attack ships, main base platform, maybe an airship or dirigible one day. Easily 100+ hours of designing. I've gotten to the point where I make hulls based on ship class and save them out as templates now rather than trying to rebuild them by hand constantly.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33