Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30

Author Topic: Jack's Simple BYOR: Game over! Town win!  (Read 53422 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Simple BYOR [12/12]: Day 1 - Contrived Power Explanation
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2014, 08:33:06 pm »

How would you answer both of the role questions you've posed?
These ones, right?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, I expect to see a wide variety of powers, ranging from obscure, such as autos that happen when a player dies, to the fairly common, such as inspections and doctors. I expect that there will be a pattern in how many powers each role has, as was seen in Bring Someone Else's Role. I don't expect that the roles in this game will be anything like the ones in there.

I most fear powers that affect other powers. Redirects, randomizes, changelings, power absorbers, etc.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2014, 08:33:50 pm »

Oh, but I'd very much enjoy having the very same powers that I fear.
The Cyan Menace

PTDfun

• Bay Watcher
  • Blob...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2014, 09:10:34 pm »

4maskwolf: Is there anything else you want to know to alleviate that RVS vote?

Ottofar: How do you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
Wand of Not Touching - The target thinks they have been poked. Range of one cm.
I want one of these.

EPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2014, 09:42:33 pm »

Toaster, TolyK, Varee, PTDfun, EPenguin Those are some very different answers to one question. If each of you had a daykill to use day 1 only, would you use it? Who would you use it on?
I would use it.
I've actually been a scenario somewhat like that. The mod started the game of with a "gun game". There was a gun made accessible to everyone, with only one bullet in it. Any player could kill any other using the gun within the first 48 hours, by posting "Drink Bullets: PlayerX". I used it within 10 minutes of the game starting and killed a player who had a history of lurking/being a low contributor. It was a gutsy, moreover because I was scum, and it drew a lot of attention to me. I don't think I was lynched til day 3 or 4. And that was because a townie lied about being cop, and said i was scum. Yes, this is the same game that I told my other story from.

EPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2014, 10:01:50 pm »

@Varee: How much mafia experience do you have?

@PTDfun: No. I don't trust my reads enough, it could too easily backfire and screw over the town. The old fashioned methods of demonstration and persuasion work fine.

@Flabort/Perseus: What is this spreadsheet you speak of?

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2014, 10:07:40 pm »

MyOwnWorstEnemy:
Most of my decisions will involve my gut in some way.
How accurate would you say your gut is?
It's been fairly accurate. It's led me to scum many times. It doesn't make my case, but it puts me in the right direction.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2014, 10:31:42 pm »

Hmm...
MOWE: you claim your gut is fairly accurate, but: GBU. It is not perfectly accurate, no?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2014, 10:32:56 pm »

EPenguin: The spreadsheet is one I designed to track of my opinion of each individual post, and keep track of my aggregate suspicion of each player by way being being a "scumometer". It is pretty flawed, and when I've used it, I've let it control my actions instead of using it as a tool to influence my decisions. I last used version 1.2, and am working on version 2.0... it may not be ready to use on time for this game.
One of the flaws is that I have to manually enter each post into the tracker. My next version will be faster, as it will fill that in automatically, but it will also be more detailed and not mislead me, nor will it be in control of my actions.
The Cyan Menace

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2014, 10:41:14 pm »

TolyK:
I like how you didn't answer my question, and voting me after I voted you is just icing on the cake. Will you please answer it?

And to answer your question... no, I'm not a Mafia-Ally, and it will be harder due to another reason.

I didn't much want to give a scum player advice on how to play their role, but anyway...

I seem to have a reputation for being unreadable and producing null-tells.  As far as hints... I can't really come up with any hints as to how I could communicate that without also communicating that to the town.  I'd probably play like a survivor and try to avoid both NK and lynch, though a Mafia-Ally eating a lynch is (for the Mafia team) better than a Mafioso taking it.

Varee:  No problem.  I would suggest reading at least one to get an idea of how games play out here.  This game wouldn't be a terrible read, as it's pretty short.

it feel like a jerk to remove someone.

They know what they signed up for.  If you want to be good scum, you can't have regrets.

4mask:
Persus: if you got to pick an ideal scum team for this game, who would you pick? Why would you pick them?

Toaster: same as Persus

Hm.  With 12 players I would assume a 3-player scum team.  As such, I'll say TolyK and Hapah.  TolyK because every time I've shared a chat with him has turned out to be an enjoyable game, and Hapah because he's a bro.

Hmm...
MOWE: you claim your gut is fairly accurate, but: GBU. It is not perfectly accurate, no?

This is awfully nitpicky, don't you think?

PTD:  (Is this an acceptable abbreviation of your name?)
Can you think of any distinctive aspects of mafia on this forum?

Judging by your stated experience and the contents of your first post, I'd say you have a good enough grasp on things.

I did throw out a recommendation from the Notable Games above.  I'd also throw in Paranormal 16 for a longer read.  (Fun fact: that was my first "big boy" game- don't look to my posts for spectacular play)

Flabort (and anyone, really)
Yes, I have tried lying to town as a town strategy (I said I was a seer(cop) when I was vanilla, just in order to get my suspect lynched). The results were that I got lynched, and the game went into 5 man LYLO the next day. And due to my previous lie, which was too late to take back, town acted upon my lie as if it were truth; luck would have it that it happened to hit a wolf (scum), so town survived, but it was close. the wolves (scum) won anyways, though.
So after that, I have never lied to town as town again.

I saw that play tried myself, back in BM 21.  It totally failed for the claimant (despite him correctly IDing a scum team member).  It didn't help that we knew he was lying about it since we blocked him the night he claimed to have gotten the result.  That game was just bad in general.

Moral of the story is don't lie as town unless you are damned sure you know what you are doing.  Claiming cop to strengthen your own case is never a good idea.  (Unless you're scum; then it's fair game.)

Toaster, TolyK, Varee, PTDfun, EPenguin Those are some very different answers to one question. If each of you had a daykill to use day 1 only, would you use it? Who would you use it on?

Probably.

There are three answers to that.  1) TolyK, for being a Mafia-Ally.  2) Failing that, if another very strong suspect came out, that person.  Failing that, whoever was shaping up to be lynched.  I'd shoot them, and we'd then basically get to play D1 again with a bit more information.

EPenguin:
Varee, PTDFun, and EPenguin:  I haven't played with you folks before.  Have you read any previous games from this board?
Not really. I skimmed a bit of the Vampires Coven Basic.

Also fine.  Also see suggestions above.

Persus:
Toaster:
TolyK:
I have a feeling this will be a hard game for me... :D

Why?  Is it because...

Toaster, do you remember why you're one of the most dangerous scum? :P A more serious question (still answer the last one, though) is, if you were a Mafia-Ally, would you try to somehow tell (or hint to) them that you're an Ally, or that an Ally exists?

...you are a Mafia-Ally?
That was quick. Why are you attacking right of the bat?

Because I found scum right off the bat!

And noted on the RV response.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2014, 10:45:36 pm »

Toaster: yes it's nitpicky. I'm trying to make the point "don't always trust your gut".

Do you trust your gut feelings? Has following your gut impression worked in the past?

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2014, 10:58:32 pm »

Hmm...
Fairly =/= perfectly. I never claimed it was perfect. It has led me to scum quite often, so I trust it. It gives me a focus when I have the feeling that something's off.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2014, 11:01:48 pm »

Hmm...
Fairly =/= perfectly. I never claimed it was perfect. It has led me to scum quite often, so I trust it. It gives me a focus when I have the feeling that something's off.
Fair enough, fair enough.

Hmm...

Since I be decided to actually play this game after being told my strategy was shit by Jack, I'll toss the ball to...

TolyK: What type of scum team do you think we have? Do you expect any third parties?

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2014, 11:03:03 pm »

The first 24 hours of the day came to an end, and the volunteers (except EPenguin, who claimed to be used to days that last for whole weeks) were becoming increasingly dependent on the room's one coffee maker.  They were lucky that the Wikimedia Foundation's massive coffee bean order had just arrived.

Unsurprisingly, accusations had already started flying around.  Surprisingly, at least one appeared to be serious.

Votecount:
*Persus13 - (0)
*flabort - Varee (1)
*TolyK - Toaster, 4maskwolf (2)
*Ottofar - PTDfun (1)
*Varee - (0)
*Toaster - TolyK (1)
*MyOwnWorstEnemy - (0)
*PTDfun - (0)
*EPenguin - (0)
*Jiokuy - (0)
*Hapah - (0)
*4maskwolf  - (0)
Not Voting: Persus13, Ottofar, MyOwnWorstEnemy, EPenguin, Jiokuy, flabort, and Hapah

Day ends 9:00 PM Wednesday, June 25th, or until hammer (7 votes).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:26:46 pm by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2014, 11:25:43 pm »

You missed my Unvote earlier, Jack.

I may as well throw out some more questions.

Persus Do you expect there to be third parties? What kind of third parties do you expect there to be?

Ottofar Are you lurking again? Can this be justified by real life circumstances?

MyOwnWorstEnemy Who, besides yourself, is your worst enemy? Which player, in this game or not, gives you the most grief?

EPenguin Do you get any information from MafiaScum? Do you get any information from EpicMafia? Where have you played mafia before?

Jiokuy This makes two games in one season. What do you think your prospects for victory are?

Hapah Hypothetical situation. You are a third party with the goal of making the game last to night 5. You have a oneshot day convert. When do you chose to use it? How do you apply it to make the game last as long as possible?
The Cyan Menace

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2014, 11:27:41 pm »

flabort: Votecount edited.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.